PETA and HERMÈS

Vreelandia, that is interesting that you came up with this question.
I think it might be connected with the fact that Hermes is epitome of "slow fashion" in some sense even sustainable which is very opposite to "throw away" fashion. Hermes things are not likely to be used and thrown away after one season and it takes ages to make them by very skillful craftsman, who is paid more or less fairly. Besides that Hermes customers are likely to value
their purchases, keep them for a longer as an investment and not to get many other bags just to dispose of them next season. So it look like Hermes is "Green". I hope i make some sense here...:smile:
I agree with Rollinsband2002 . Hermes is using only best quality leathers and the good quality leather
usually comes from the hides of well fed and cared animals.

EXCELENT point of view.
Me, I´m a vegetarian too, I only drink soy milk, I ONLY buy organic too, a have a dog who I care like a sun and a closet full of furs, and exotic skins accessories!

I was a non-leather wearing vegetarian for several years during college...I finally stopped it completely because it's such a slippery slope. I.E., "you won't eat meat but you drink milk, you don't support animal testing but you have a pen on your desk that is from a company that tests on animals"...etc. It just got to be too much.

At this point I've just decided that I do what I can, but don't expect myself or anyone else to be perfect. I'm a vegetarian, I buy organic, don't wear fur, TRY not to buy products that are tested on animals, donate to spay/neutering programs, and adopt and foster rescue animals. It's all personal choice.

If I happen to wear leather I'm not going to beat myself up over it. It's part of our culture and ain't going away. I like to think that the animals and skins used in H products are well maintained, because the quality of the leather must be stellar. I don't think that quality of leather could exist in a factory farm due to the overcrowding, poor feed quality, etc.

Tot.AGREE, makes ALL the sense!

Vreelandia, that is interesting that you came up with this question.
I think it might be connected with the fact that Hermes is epitome of "slow fashion" in some sense even sustainable which is very opposite to "throw away" fashion. Hermes things are not likely to be used and thrown away after one season and it takes ages to make them by very skillful craftsman, who is paid more or less fairly. Besides that Hermes customers are likely to value
their purchases, keep them for a longer as an investment and not to get many other bags just to dispose of them next season. So it look like Hermes is "Green". I hope i make some sense here...:smile:
I agree with Rollinsband2002 . Hermes is using only best quality leathers and the good quality leather
usually comes from the hides of well fed and cared animals.

I don't know if this is the same for Hermes, but as JPG designs for them it might be: I noticed in JPGs web a while ago that he stated which fur farms his furs came from (I think it was Saga), and those farms do in a no way treat their animals like in those scary PETA videos. Probably Hermes leather and fur come from similar sources.

Honey darling, human being were not meant to be a slave of time, work, stress, and so on. WE were meant to be free, but we have to do something to buy Hermès, isn´t it?!?! Give me one good reason , why minks are usefull to the world, in freedom, they are also so ugly!

they are part of the ecosystem. clearly you are too concerned with appearace. I cant honestly understand how you justify wearing a living animal that was cruely killed just because it was ugly. Also as being at the highest level of the food chain we have the duty and responsibilty to respect other forms of creation.

I'm a vegetarian, I buy organic, don't wear fur, TRY not to buy products that are tested on animals, donate to spay/neutering programs, and adopt and foster rescue animals. It's all personal choice.

I totally agree with this, especially the spay/neutering programs. I have two female cats, one I got as a kittitn and she was spayed as soon as she was old enough, one I adopted as an adult and I had her spayed first thing. I love my furbabies, but I only want two, and as their "mom" it's my responsiblity to give them the best quality of life which I believe includes being spayed. It really pushes my buttons when people let their animals run wild and reproduce out of control. Spay/neutering is the best way to prevent millions of animals from being euthanized every year. :crybaby:(I know it's a necessary evil)

As for the skins that are used for leather goods, I hope that companies (especially reputable ones such as Hermes) who purchase the skins would support providers who treat the animals humanely.

I'll get off my soap box now.

I totally agree with this, especially the spay/neutering programs. I have two female cats, one I got as a kittitn and she was spayed as soon as she was old enough, one I adopted as an adult and I had her spayed first thing. I love my furbabies, but I only want two, and as their "mom" it's my responsiblity to give them the best quality of life which I believe includes being spayed. It really pushes my buttons when people let their animals run wild and reproduce out of control. Spay/neutering is the best way to prevent millions of animals from being euthanized every year. :crybaby:(I know it's a necessary evil)

As for the skins that are used for leather goods, I hope that companies (especially reputable ones such as Hermes) who purchase the skins would support providers who treat the animals humanely.

I'll get off my soap box now.

if only everyone thought like this the over-population of animals would not be such a problem

IMO anyone who wears leather products but condemns fur is a hypocrite. Fur is an animal hide just like leather, and I refuse to believe that cows, goats, or whatever animal leather is harvested from are treated any better than chinchillas, minks, or rabbits on a fur farm. Really people just get outraged about fur becuase fewer people own it and it's a more visible target- if PETA wanted to be unbiased they'd have to throw paint on every leather jacket, bag, or shoes they see. But of course they won't do that, lest they lose the majority of their leather-wearing contributors.