Perfume Chat Thread

I am new to the (active side of) purseblog and was thinking how can I really contribute? where actually can I make initial 5 posts, while I am not an expert of luxurious goods, I mean maybe I got educated in some types, but fasion is such a wide domain! So I love the fact that at the end of the date “perfumes” are sneaking to every place, haha . I consider myself as a sort of amateur perfume critic and a collector. I love niche brands (not all, of course, but highly respect indie undertakings on this field of art), especially Etat Libre d’Orange, Francesca dell’Oro, Parfum de Marly, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Labolatorio Olfattivo, Nicolai Parfumeur Createur, Histoires de Parfumes, and I can go on and on…
1. Although I am also truly fascinated by manly facets of fragrances and compositions dedicated for man, I just cannot break the habit in officially wearing them. However recently I did some shy attempts with Lalique Encre Noir.
2. One of my signature scent is Ambre Vert (discounted) from small manufacture established on Seychelles (Kreofleurage Parfums): it was developed many years ago and even thoug intended to be something new (I believe), for me it constitutes the essence of best value in traditional perfume craftsmanship.

Hello! Welcome to the Forums! Would love to hear more about your collection. OR any new scents you're interested in trying.

Cancelled my ScentBird subscription. I pick my monthly fragrances from April through December. 9 selections. In two months they've already removed 3 of them (30%) because they no longer carry that scent. No warning beforehand that they are low on that scent. Nope. Not playing those games. I can get samples other ways.

• Wow
Reactions: 880 and papertiger
Cancelled my ScentBird subscription. I pick my monthly fragrances from April through December. 9 selections. In two months they've already removed 3 of them (30%) because they no longer carry that scent. No warning beforehand that they are low on that scent. Nope. Not playing those games. I can get samples other ways.
Sorry to hear about the scents that were removed. Which ones did they remove? I have never done a monthly subscription service but I have ordered from places like Surrender to Chance if I wanted to sample something.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and JenJBS
Sorry to hear about the scents that were removed. Which ones did they remove? I have never done a monthly subscription service but I have ordered from places like Surrender to Chance if I wanted to sample something.

This month it was Ferragamo - Incanto Shine and Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Amour De Cacao. At the moment I don't remember which one they removed last month, and I deleted the email.

Reactions: Purses & Perfumes
This month it was Ferragamo - Incanto Shine and Comptoir Sud Pacifique - Amour De Cacao. At the moment I don't remember which one they removed last month, and I deleted the email.
I'm not familiar with either of those fragrances, but I don't think those are easily available to test in stores so you would probably need to order samples online if you want to try them. Good luck!

Reactions: JenJBS
I'm not familiar with either of those fragrances, but I don't think those are easily available to test in stores so you would probably need to order samples online if you want to try them. Good luck!

Thank you! I try only to pay for samples of perfumes I can't find in a local store to test for free. Sadly, that is most perfumes. :hrmm:

Thank you! I try only to pay for samples of perfumes I can't find in a local store to test for free. Sadly, that is most perfumes. :hrmm:
Yes, I know what you mean. The stores near me don't really have a wide selection to sample from either. And samples can really add up, especially the niche samples. But I think you're going about this the right way and proceeding slowly and continuing to seek samples rather than giving in to blind buys. There are times when I have been impatient or impulsive, and just bought blind instead of slowing down and waiting to find a sample, and that is usually not the best decision.

Yes, I know what you mean. The stores near me don't really have a wide selection to sample from either. And samples can really add up, especially the niche samples. But I think you're going about this the right way and proceeding slowly and continuing to seek samples rather than giving in to blind buys. There are times when I have been impatient or impulsive, and just bought blind instead of slowing down and waiting to find a sample, and that is usually not the best decision.

Agreed that blind buys aren't the best decision. Two of my first buys were blind buys @$30 each. One was good, the other was really bad. 50/50 odds taught me my lesson. No blind buys ever again. Figure at $30 I was lucky to learn the lesson fairly cheap. I've learned to wait and buy several samples at once to save on shipping. Little things add up.

Who knows Areej le Doré scents?
Yesterday it was possible to pre-order a set of 3 valued $975. Sold out immediately. I was very curious about this brand, excellent reviews, hard to get scents, top quality and etc. The only guy mentioned that scents are comparable to haute couture, wearable only on a special occasion.

blind buys aren't the best decision.

true, but it depends if you buy using someone's advice whom you know and he/she has your skin chemistry and taste or following a review. I don't rely on the olfactory pyramid, it could be deceitful.

I only trust my nose and how I feel wearing a scent.
I find samples are the best to choose a right scent. Sometimes it takes me a 2-3 time approach to understand and appreciate the scent. Of course I can get smitten with the first sniff :angel:

Who knows Areej le Doré scents?
Yesterday it was possible to pre-order a set of 3 valued $975. Sold out immediately. I was very curious about this brand, excellent reviews, hard to get scents, top quality and etc. The only guy mentioned that scents are comparable to haute couture, wearable only on a special occasion.

true, but it depends if you buy using someone's advice whom you know and he/she has your skin chemistry and taste or following a review. I don't rely on the olfactory pyramid, it could be deceitful.

I only trust my nose and how I feel wearing a scent.
I find samples are the best to choose a right scent. Sometimes it takes me a 2-3 time approach to understand and appreciate the scent. Of course I can get smitten with the first sniff :angel:

Wow... That is some expensive perfume.

I have found that reviews can be less than helpful. Tom Ford scents get rave reviews, but not from me. Same with the Le Vie Est Belle line. So far I haven't found anyone with my skin chemistry. So I just rely on samples and testing. No blind buys.

Tom Ford scents get rave reviews, but not from me.

Someone likes and someone doesn't like, we are different, but lots of reviews are good for nothing and I don't trust them. Maybe you could find a company or a perfumer that suit your demands.
I am not particular on TF scents either. I might sound snobby but I would like to be individual with my scents.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and JenJBS
Someone likes and someone doesn't like, we are different, but lots of reviews are good for nothing and I don't trust them. Maybe you could find a company or a perfumer that suit your demands.
I am not particular on TF scents either. I might sound snobby but I would like to be individual with my scents.

So far I'm really happy with Kyse Perfumes, Nest, Maison Margiela, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique as perfumers. What independent/niche scent houses do you like? While I don't trust reviews for specific scents, I do think they are great for finding a quality brand, to then find your own preferred scents.

So far I'm really happy with Kyse Perfumes, Nest, Maison Margiela, and Comptoir Sud Pacifique as perfumers. What independent/niche scent houses do you like? While I don't trust reviews for specific scents, I do think they are great for finding a quality brand, to then find your own preferred scents.

We all have our own individual "scent chemistry" & I am one that has to try it..
I've lucked out with a handful that I continually wear as part of my scent wardrobe
& am usually disappointed when the "raves" start to pour in..

@JenJBS, +1 with @Purses & Perfumes ( and @ultravisitor regarding Frederic Malle Une Rose. It’s amazing. I think of it as a white Burgundy of rose fragrances :biggrin:. It somehow hits a high note without being brash, yet it has depth and nuance, not cluttered by add ons that are present in the more modern dark rose fragrances. I wasn’t particularly a rose fan at all until Caron air et Noir and FM Une Rose. . . @Purses & Perfumes, I will also revisit Sa Majeste la rose, thank you for the reminder)

@Tasha1, thank you for the recommendation of fueguia 1833. I just ordered some 1ml samples: gardenia; magnolia; rose musc and Rosa de los vientos. I was curious about rose oud — I think it was aquilaria— but don’t believe samples were offered for that one. Thanks again!

Favorite bottles. I prefer simple crystal bottles generally. The original release of Caron Poivre (I also have a number of crystal peppercorn travel flasks) and of tabac blond both of which I bought via online auction. The old extrait bottle of Guerlain VdN was enough of a favorite that I bought it empty. At the time, I could not find one, sealed, with contents intact. And, my favorite inexpensive bottle is the black Lalique molinard bottle, but since the scent is horrendously powdery on me, I no longer have it. Caron used to also sell crystal travel flacons and atomizers that you could have refilled by them.(8 have some on the top shelf, second pic on the left). Here are pics of two perfume cabinets with some of the Caron and guerlain bottles on the top and bottom shelves of the second pic. I also like the Guerlain Parure grey wave bottle. In the first pic, bottom shelf there is a first edition Lys Epona in an antique bottle and balenciaga le dix bottle.
View attachment 5090878View attachment 5090879
Wow amazing collection

• Love
Reactions: 880
I am new to the (active side of) purseblog and was thinking how can I really contribute? where actually can I make initial 5 posts, while I am not an expert of luxurious goods, I mean maybe I got educated in some types, but fasion is such a wide domain! So I love the fact that at the end of the date “perfumes” are sneaking to every place, haha . I consider myself as a sort of amateur perfume critic and a collector. I love niche brands (not all, of course, but highly respect indie undertakings on this field of art), especially Etat Libre d’Orange, Francesca dell’Oro, Parfum de Marly, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Labolatorio Olfattivo, Nicolai Parfumeur Createur, Histoires de Parfumes, and I can go on and on…
1. Although I am also truly fascinated by manly facets of fragrances and compositions dedicated for man, I just cannot break the habit in officially wearing them. However recently I did some shy attempts with Lalique Encre Noir.
2. One of my signature scent is Ambre Vert (discounted) from small manufacture established on Seychelles (Kreofleurage Parfums): it was developed many years ago and even thoug intended to be something new (I believe), for me it constitutes the essence of best value in traditional perfume craftsmanship.
Welcome! And I am dying to hear more about your thoughts on niche scents :biggrin:
@papertiger, I’m looking through my shoe box (scientific method of storing samples and decants) for kingdom by Alexander McQueen
@Cams and @JenJBS, thanks for your kind words re the collection. A few years ago, i did a massive purge and I don’t generally buy full bottles any more unless I’m really sure.