People rolling you...for your LV... :S

OMG....how awful!! I live in Melb, and i haven't seen or heard anything like that happened to me or my friends....maybe because I'm asian and I look young, they might think my LVs are fake, LOL:sweatdrop:!!!

Which part are you from? I'm in Basel... I generally feel fairly safe... I think Swiss people are ok...
There are a few dodgy looking people around in the city late at night... but they're not usually Swiss I guess

sali! ich wohne jetzt au in de nöchi vo basel :o) han frühene bi züri gwohnt...aber isch au scho jahre her!

it was more because i was working close to a couple of nightclubs, and i think it's just cuz the guys would be 'intoxicated' and i was always walking alone. i don't have these problems anymore, which is why i stopped carrying the stick :smile: i agree, we are very lucky in ch to feel pretty safe, even though violence still occurs esp. in zh.

In the UK, it is illegal to carry knifes, guns, pepper spray or any offensive weapon in a public place. I know that in London there are random police checks in places and if you are found to be carrying a knife you can be sent to prison for a minimum of 6 months and up to 2 years and fined £5000.

In the UK for sure, the robber/mugger has rights too and it has been in the newspapers that people who have attacked burglars have gone to prison (because a burglar can actually make a complaint against the people who they were trying to rob!)

But back to topic, I think that if anyone who I didn't know well asked if my bag was real I'd say something like "Heck no! Do you know how expensive the real thing is?" And if someone tried to mug you I don't think you should attack them, I don't think it is worth being stabbed, attacked or even being killed just for a bag. For example, your friend got stabbed 12 times and the bag was stolen anyway, even if the bag wasn't stolen, would it have been worth the pain just to keep a bag?

I know I'm not the first one to say this but - a bag and it's contents can be replaced, but your life cannot.

Australia is generally very safe. I travel a lot for work interstate but have never felt compromised or unsafe. Never heard of the term "rolling" here. At the moment your comments do make us sound very dangerous whether intentional or not.

In Texas we can carry a gun if we have a concealed handgun license...:graucho:

I have gotten the "Is it real" or "Where did you buy that" question and I've always been honest b/c I was w/ DH or sis. But if I was by myself and something didn't feel right I would say Harwin in a heartbeat (Harwin is a street in Houston w/ tons of shops that is notorious for selling fakes. They have inspired handbags and costume jewelry on display, but after they conclude you're not an undercover cop they pull the "LV" or "Gucci" out from behind the counter...LOL)

Sorry about your friend and thanks for the post, I will definitely be more cautious.

Geez, what an awful story about your friend. It would be so difficult to live in that kind of fear. But we all have to try to be safe. There are some major crazies in the world!

I like the idea from a previous post of wearing your good bag inside of a mediocre one. Personally, I shy away from using my monogram LV unless I'm with someone else because the bag automatically draws attention. That's also a reason why I've sold most of my mono bags and only have 2 small ones left.

I think the saddest thing is these people who "jack" women not only have stooped to the lowest level of attacking a women in general, but that even though you lost a bag, they lost their life, and karma will get them.

let them have the bag, it's not worth your life.
I know we all work hard for our bags, but we can't enjoy them if we're in the hospital bed, right??

sali! ich wohne jetzt au in de nöchi vo basel :o) han frühene bi züri gwohnt...aber isch au scho jahre her!

it was more because i was working close to a couple of nightclubs, and i think it's just cuz the guys would be 'intoxicated' and i was always walking alone. i don't have these problems anymore, which is why i stopped carrying the stick :smile: i agree, we are very lucky in ch to feel pretty safe, even though violence still occurs esp. in zh.

Ich bin in Der Schweiz nur 6 monate, aber ich mag nicht Basel so viele. Warum kommts du nach Basel ? Ich finde Züri viele besser ! Aber die Leute sind kalt.

U have to forgive me... I haven't learnt any Schweizer Deutsch yet... I've done 5 months of Hoch Deutsch ... I'm Australian!
Strange to bump into someone from Basel here though !
Everyone here seems to be intoxicated from the age 16 and over haha!!
So different to Australia... anyway nice to meet a fellow Basler !

i'm super paranoid cause my cousin has been held at gunpoint before. i'm ALWAYS looking around. i carry pepper spray and if tasers came in a smaller size, i would carry one. the world is so dangerous now, no matter why you stay. i don't even trust the neighborhood i live in.

I hope your friend is okay! I am a little paranoid when I carry my bags, but I never carry them if I know I'm not going to safe areas. It's just easier that way for me.

And I tend not to pull out my wallet if I take public transportation (no matter what wallet I have). I like to have things like that ready to just get in and go.

How awful! I've heard of people stealing running shoes, Ipods etc but not designer handbags.
Good to know if a stranger asks if your bag is real to always say no.
Excellent tip about carrying a tote bag to hide your handbag in.
When I travel, I carry an old Kate Spade bag- I don't care if it gets damaged etc.

i feel most proud and most safe at the airport lol (except when you have to go through the BEEEP thing...and leave your stuff in a basket for x ray...) :S

You should still be cautious. As a fellow tPF member I feel responsible to warn that the airport is actually not as safe as we may percieve. A few years back, I went to Paris with several friends. One of us was leaving a few days earlier so she was at the Pairs airport alone. She got into the elevator with her carry on and two men stepped in after her. They stole everything she had including her passport at knifepoint! Needless to say, she did not leave Paris that day.