PayPal dispute or CC dispute?

Jun 2, 2010
Hello, I purchased a bag that ended up not being authentic (not eBay, but online and paid via PayPal with my Amex).

I have reached out to the seller for a return and refund, but if I get nowhere that way, should I open a dispute with PayPal or with Amex? I'd like a full refund as well as a return label (or a refund for return shipping costs).

TIA!

I filed a claim with PayPal and the seller is insisting it's authentic. They requested photos be sent as proof. I sent photos and told them I wanted a full refund as well as return shipping, that I shouldn't have to shoulder the cost for returning a fake item. It's not as if I just changed my mind [emoji53] I have a feeling I'm in for a tough battle. Hopefully PayPal goes in my favor, but it not I'll take it to Amex.

I filed a claim with PayPal and the seller is insisting it's authentic. They requested photos be sent as proof. I sent photos and told them I wanted a full refund as well as return shipping, that I shouldn't have to shoulder the cost for returning a fake item. It's not as if I just changed my mind [emoji53] I have a feeling I'm in for a tough battle. Hopefully PayPal goes in my favor, but it not I'll take it to Amex.
With paypal you might need a professional authentication to prove your case. If you don't have one already, you should get one ASAP because if you don't have it before they make their decision, it might be too late.

With paypal you might need a professional authentication to prove your case. If you don't have one already, you should get one ASAP because if you don't have it before they make their decision, it might be too late.

Would you happen to know which authentication service PayPal requires? Can I call and ask them that?

Or if PayPal sides with the seller and denies my claim, can I still go through Amex? We've only ever had to dispute charges a couple of times, and those were $400 gas station charges from clear across the country. I appreciate any help, I'm at a loss!

Or if PayPal sides with the seller and denies my claim, can I still go through Amex? We've only ever had to dispute charges a couple of times, and those were $400 gas station charges from clear across the country. I appreciate any help, I'm at a loss!
If Paypal denies your claim, you can still file a claim with Amex. I don't know which authentication services Paypal accepts. You might ask in the authentication thread for the brand on this forum.

One last question, PayPal only allows for the amount of the item plus shipping. Does that mean I have to pay to return the item, even if it's fake? can I file a claim to have the seller cover the cost of the return shipping?

One last question, PayPal only allows for the amount of the item plus shipping. Does that mean I have to pay to return the item, even if it's fake? can I file a claim to have the seller cover the cost of the return shipping?
No, you can't. However, you might win the claim without having to return the item. Then you can tell the seller that if she wants it back, she has to send you a return label.

No, you can't. However, you might win the claim without having to return the item. Then you can tell the seller that if she wants it back, she has to send you a return label.

But I could Possibly have to send it back at my expense? It's international, and with tracking will cost a lot. I can understand if I just changed my mind about the item, that's my fault, but this is a fake bag per the brand's authentication thread on TPF. Hardly seems right?!

Should I just file a chargeback with Amex and tell the seller to send me a return label, or the exact cost of postage and I will return the bag?

But I could Possibly have to send it back at my expense? It's international, and with tracking will cost a lot. I can understand if I just changed my mind about the item, that's my fault, but this is a fake bag per the brand's authentication thread on TPF. Hardly seems right?!

Should I just file a chargeback with Amex and tell the seller to send me a return label, or the exact cost of postage and I will return the bag?
I don't think you will have to send it back at your expense if you win the dispute. If that happens, the seller will have to pay if they want it back. If you file the chargeback with Amex, they can't refund more than you paid. They can't get the money for the return label from the seller.

Don't file with amex while you still have a Paypal claim open. If you do, Paypal will close your claim. You can't have more than one dispute open.