PayPal dispute or CC dispute?

Hi there, I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but if not please redirect me. So here goes...
I saw a Chanel bag on eBay for buy it now or Best offer. The photos were okay but none of the inside, but seller said it was new but in description she stated it was used twice and in perfect condition. I emailed asking what the best offer was and she said she'd give me a good price if I did it through PayPal only. I was hesitant but she sent me her number and I messaged her asking more info and she said it was perfect inside out used only twice. I received the bag and it was okay outside but inside has loads of make up marks and the authenticity sticker is torn. So I messaged her and she responded saying I'm lying her bag was perfect. I said it's the exact bag she sent and sent her photos. She said I was lying and that PayPal would decide in her favour and her bag was perfect. The photo of the inside is taken at an angle that does not show the inside properly and is quite dark. So, I opened a dispute and about an hour later PayPal closed it in her favour without asking me anything saying she had phoned them and disagreed with my claim so they closed it in her favour! Now I called up PayPal and they said I could appeal but I need to get the condition appraised by someone on headed paper. Please can someone advice me on what to do as I've clearly been really stupid going outside eBay and getting scammed like this. Can I do a chargeback (which I've no experience of either) and how does it work. Basically, is there any way I can get my money back? Please help
Oh dear, hope you get a resolution and some good advice ..... however please brace yourself for a telling off by a fair few posters for going outside ebay but hopefully there will be some good advice amongst the telling off's

Oh dear, hope you get a resolution and some good advice ..... however please brace yourself for a telling off by a fair few posters for going outside ebay but hopefully there will be some good advice amongst the telling off's
Thanks, I'm already beating myself about it for being so stupid. I thought that I would get buyer protection for using PayPal . :sad:

Don't beat yourself up .. we all make errors of judgement, I would speak to your bank about a chargeback .. it's not something that is done very often in the UK so I don't know too much about it
Thank you for being so kind. I always buy through eBay and pay by PayPal and never outside, but despite my instinct telling me not to go ahead I did because it's an item I've been looking for ages and thought I'd found in perfect condition. I will contact my cc company on Monday and ask about chargebacks.

Reactions: thewildraven
Link is invalid? It is also showing me Listing has been removed?

Thank you, I've since been in touch with PayPal and they've refunded me. Seems this seller is to be avoided.

Sound's like you dodged a bullet? :eek:

To ALL Members! :flowers:

EDIT: This from the eBay Forum: It can't be said enough......................if they are willing to be dishonest with Ebay they will have no compunction in being dishonest with you. NEVER take or except transactions "OFF" eBay. You are not 100% Covered & You loose your eBay buyer protection.
Thank you for being so kind. I always buy through eBay and pay by PayPal and never outside, but despite my instinct telling me not to go ahead I did because it's an item I've been looking for ages and thought I'd found in perfect condition. I will contact my cc company on Monday and ask about chargebacks.
A warning from me on the ATLV Thread because something similar happened to you? And you agreed?

Just a suggestion? Maybe start your own thread about what has happened? Yes?

I always buy through eBay and pay by PayPal and never outside,
Really? See the next post. It's from 3 months ago when you did the SAME thing!
Thank you, I've since been in touch with PayPal and they've refunded me. Seems this seller is to be avoided.
^^^^ That post is from April 18, 2017, over 3 months ago when you went OUTSIDE ebay to save a few bucks and look what happened.
Hi there, I'm not sure this is the right place to post, but if not please redirect me. So here goes...
I saw a Chanel bag on eBay for buy it now or Best offer. The photos were okay but none of the inside, but seller said it was new but in description she stated it was used twice and in perfect condition. I emailed asking what the best offer was and she said she'd give me a good price if I did it through PayPal only. I was hesitant but she sent me her number and I messaged her asking more info and she said it was perfect inside out used only twice. I received the bag and it was okay outside but inside has loads of make up marks and the authenticity sticker is torn. So I messaged her and she responded saying I'm lying her bag was perfect. I said it's the exact bag she sent and sent her photos. She said I was lying and that PayPal would decide in her favour and her bag was perfect. The photo of the inside is taken at an angle that does not show the inside properly and is quite dark. So, I opened a dispute and about an hour later PayPal closed it in her favour without asking me anything saying she had phoned them and disagreed with my claim so they closed it in her favour! Now I called up PayPal and they said I could appeal but I need to get the condition appraised by someone on headed paper. Please can someone advice me on what to do as I've clearly been really stupid going outside eBay and getting scammed like this. Can I do a chargeback (which I've no experience of either) and how does it work. Basically, is there any way I can get my money back? Please help
Honestly, every time buyers and sellers let their greed overrule their common sense, one side or the other gets screwed. And not only did you get screwed this time, but I'm betting that Paypal ruled against you this time because of your history. They gave you a pass 3 months ago, presumably allowing you to learn from your mistake but instead of learning, you did it again.
Lol
It isn't very 'kind' but I don't exactly feel very kindly towards those who know it is wrong but decide to go ahead and cheat anyway.
I have to agree.

It gets a bit tiring trying to help those who refuse to be honest and do the right thing in the first place. Then even when they're helped, they make the same mistake again.

How about paying full price and letting ebay get its fair share.

(And if you really want to teach the seller a lesson, post her ID so the rest of us know not to do business with her.)

I know there are those who will rip in to me for being harsh, insensitive and mean. But I have to disagree that I'm being any of those qualities. I do give my fair share of help but when buyers and sellers do the wrong thing, they get called on it.

FLOG, keep in mind that HONEST sellers don't cheat the hand that feeds them. You would have had ebay's buyer protection had YOU done the honest thing and bought through ebay. They most certainly would have found in your favor.

however please brace yourself for a telling off by a fair few posters for going outside ebay but hopefully there will be some good advice amongst the telling off's
And you don't think the OP needs a "telling off" for making the same mistake AGAIN?!?! Even if it were the first time, she knew it was wrong, thus the untruth about always buying through ebay.

The rules are in place for a reason and anyone who reads the ebay forum should know how often "off-ebay" transactions go south.

The GOOD advice IS to keep the transactions where they belong. While you may not like the good advice, it's the best there is.

Reactions: poopsie
Really? See the next post. It's from 3 months ago when you did the SAME thing!

^^^^ That post is from April 18, 2017, over 3 months ago when you went OUTSIDE ebay to save a few bucks and look what happened.

Honestly, every time buyers and sellers let their greed overrule their common sense, one side or the other gets screwed. And not only did you get screwed this time, but I'm betting that Paypal ruled against you this time because of your history. They gave you a pass 3 months ago, presumably allowing you to learn from your mistake but instead of learning, you did it again.

I have to agree.

It gets a bit tiring trying to help those who refuse to be honest and do the right thing in the first place. Then even when they're helped, they make the same mistake again.

How about paying full price and letting ebay get its fair share.

(And if you really want to teach the seller a lesson, post her ID so the rest of us know not to do business with her.)

I know there are those who will rip in to me for being harsh, insensitive and mean. But I have to disagree that I'm being any of those qualities. I do give my fair share of help but when buyers and sellers do the wrong thing, they get called on it.

FLOG, keep in mind that HONEST sellers don't cheat the hand that feeds them. You would have had ebay's buyer protection had YOU done the honest thing and bought through ebay. They most certainly would have found in your favor.
Hey, I deserve all you said. I guess I got talked into it by the seller because I thought she was honest and I asked her many questions. I didn't buy straight away, I took a few days, she kept messaging me saying it's a great deal and that I had wasted her time with so many questions and that she didn't appreciate time wasters. I guess I felt a bit guilty and thought she'd given me all the answers so I went ahead, because I thought I had buyer protection from PayPal and she wanted to save on seller fees. I just wanted some advice as I did not think PayPal would decide on a claim without any photos or any response from seller. When I called PayPal the agent said it had been dealt with incorrectly and that I needed a third party letter so they reopened the dispute. However really, I've not heard of this type of letter before. This is the link to the auction on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chanel-bl...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661. I initially said to her I didn't want to go outside eBay and she said she did this all the time and it's fine as I still have PayPal buyer protection. Trust me I feel like an idiot and should have known better.

Hey, I deserve all you said. I guess I got talked into it by the seller because I thought she was honest and I asked her many questions. I didn't buy straight away, I took a few days, she kept messaging me saying it's a great deal and that I had wasted her time with so many questions and that she didn't appreciate time wasters. I guess I felt a bit guilty and thought she'd given me all the answers so I went ahead, because I thought I had buyer protection from PayPal and she wanted to save on seller fees. I just wanted some advice as I did not think PayPal would decide on a claim without any photos or any response from seller. When I called PayPal the agent said it had been dealt with incorrectly and that I needed a third party letter so they reopened the dispute. However really, I've not heard of this type of letter before. This is the link to the auction on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chanel-black-timeless-mini-rectangular-caviar-patent-leather-bag/112478661693?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2661. I initially said to her I didn't want to go outside eBay and she said she did this all the time and it's fine as I still have PayPal buyer protection. Trust me I feel like an idiot and should have known better.
@dioraddict15
I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse but you really need to stop circumventing the system and use the protections that are available to you had you purchased through the appropriate channels.

In fact, this is the FOURTH time you did "paypal only" transactions where you put the onus of responsibility on the seller for wanting to save fees. You are just as guilty because you're also using ebay but not allowing (or insisting) that they get their due.

On February 19, 2012, there was a Mulberry Bayswater that you stated, "I wanted to buy it from the seller through paypal only."

On December 10, 2012, you bought a Tiffany teardrop earrings that you stated, "I purchased this through paypal only."

On April 18, 2017, you bought a fake Louis Vuitton bag from a listing that you stated, "I purchased this item through PayPal only as seller seemed keen to avoid eBay fees."

And today, July 22, 2017, you posted that you bought a SNAD Chanel where you stated, "she said she'd give me a good price if I did it through PayPal only."

Since the posts here usually only happen when something goes wrong, one can only imagine how many other times you've done this and had it work out okay. If you've had these 4 bad experiences, I suspect they aren't the only times you've gone "outside."

In at least 2 of the 4 cases I quoted above, you stated that you normally buy through ebay and that these off-site purchases were an exception. I'm finding it hard to believe.

Please learn a lesson!

ETA: BTW, in the listing, hayleyforever listed the bag as "NWOT" yet states that it was "worn no more than 2 times." Worn ONCE, twice, three times or even just an hour is NOT new! That should have been a huge red flag.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chanel-black-timeless-mini-rectangular-caviar-patent-leather-bag-/112478661693?rmvSB=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&clk_rvr_id=1264148395997&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=uvF%2Ffk9BghI02e8WT7kEMZTLZGc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

@dioraddict15
I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse but you really need to stop circumventing the system and use the protections that are available to you had you purchased through the appropriate channels.

In fact, this is the FOURTH time you did "paypal only" transactions where you put the onus of responsibility on the seller for wanting to save fees. You are just as guilty because you're also using ebay but not allowing (or insisting) that they get their due.

On February 19, 2012, there was a Mulberry Bayswater that you stated, "I wanted to buy it from the seller through paypal only."

On December 10, 2012, you bought a Tiffany teardrop earrings that you stated, "I purchased this through paypal only."

On April 18, 2017, you bought a fake Louis Vuitton bag from a listing that you stated, "I purchased this item through PayPal only as seller seemed keen to avoid eBay fees."

And today, July 22, 2017, you posted that you bought a SNAD Chanel where you stated, "she said she'd give me a good price if I did it through PayPal only."

Since the posts here usually only happen when something goes wrong, one can only imagine how many other times you've done this and had it work out okay. If you've had these 4 bad experiences, I suspect they aren't the only times you've gone "outside."

In at least 2 of the 4 cases I quoted above, you stated that you normally buy through ebay and that these off-site purchases were an exception. I'm finding it hard to believe.

Please learn a lesson!

ETA: BTW, in the listing, hayleyforever listed the bag as "NWOT" yet states that it was "worn no more than 2 times." Worn ONCE, twice, three times or even just an hour is NOT new! That should have been a huge red flag.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chanel-black-timeless-mini-rectangular-caviar-patent-leather-bag-/112478661693?rmvSB=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&clk_rvr_id=1264148395997&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=uvF%2Ffk9BghI02e8WT7kEMZTLZGc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
I guess I thought that I still get PayPal protection. I did see that it was described as new but description stated used no more thentwice but a lot seller seem to describe like that and I didnt mind that as long as it was clean inside and out. I didn't expect the inside to be so bad like it is.

I deserve all you're wrath but I thought I still had PayPal buyer protection and I don't want anyone else to get caught out like this. There are other free sites like gumtree where people advertise and you pay through PayPal for protection or is it just because this is outside eBay? I'm absolutely devastated and have learned my lesson this time trust me which is why I'm up this late not being able to sleep.