Parisians and Chanel?

I got this email from a while back that showed (with pics & illustrations) different ways of tying the Hermes scarf. I thought I'd share this with my fellow tpfers ;)

(This is a very helpful thread! I'm heading to Europe this week and am so glad that I found it before I left!)

LOVE THESE ILLUSTRATIONS. THANK YOU. :tup:

I remember seeing a lot of Longchamps when I was in Paris too. It even made me consider buying one as a souvenir for myself but in the end, I didn't get any as I found the prices to be a bit more expensive than in Singapore.

One vivid Paris snapshop that I have in my head was this really old, slightly bent but very stylishly-dressed lady trying to cross the street carrying a really, really browned, very well-used Speedy. I pointed her out to my travel buddy and said: Look, a first sighting of an LV on the streets!

It looked like the lady has had long use of her Speedy, they were both getting on in years but hey, they were still out there together!:yes:

I also saw many Birkens while there and the Herve Chapelier totes.

I recall arriving in Paris (to spend a year abroad) and a friend and I were so disappointed to find that Louis Vuitton was completely sold out of all bags. In those days, I think they only had one boutique, and the sales people were all standing around with nothing to sell.
:nogood:

The "IT" bag in those days, at least in the older teen, young 20's age group, was a 15 franc straw market bag that every Parisian girl wore on her shoulder. Instead of Vuitton, I bought the market bag. :P

I recall arriving in Paris (to spend a year abroad) and a friend and I were so disappointed to find that Louis Vuitton was completely sold out of all bags. In those days, I think they only had one boutique, and the sales people were all standing around with nothing to sell.
:nogood:

The "IT" bag in those days, at least in the older teen, young 20's age group, was a 15 franc straw market bag that every Parisian girl wore on her shoulder. Instead of Vuitton, I bought the market bag. :P

How many years ago was that? Very interesting!

I only remember seeing some stylish ladies carrying chanels at the flagship LV store choosing bags 2 years ago and they seem like locals!

I know people who live in Paris and they definately prefer the vintage look for designers. One lady had many LV monogrammed bags and hermes shoes. She told me that she washed her canvas LV bags before using them to darken the patina and make them look older. Her Chanel Bags were vintage too. I didn't see any young people with designer goods, they thought that they were too old lady. The french also love their high street shops like H&M and Zara, these always seemed packed. It was so easy to see Chanel accessories in stores and concessions that are always sold out here before they even hit the stores.

Well, I really do think the bag-per-squaremeter-average completely depends on the neighborhood you`re visiting.
Strolling down at the Avenues Georges V (I just had to visit the Givenchy Boutique there) and Montaigne in winter, I saw more LV Miroirs than we even got at the LV store here in Vienna.
And the Faubourg St. Honoré (that`s where Hermès is located) seemed to me like Chanel territory. Haven`t seen too many Cambons or anything seasonal, but a bunch of Flaps and the Caviar Totes, mostly on middle aged women.
Also, the left bank is a good place to spot some designer bags, but everywhere else you go, it`s basically designerhandbag desert.

Oh and for those loving vintge couture and handbags: Do not miss Didier Ludot, the vintage boutique at the Palais Royal, right next to the Marc Jacobs Boutique

Well, finally a French girl will answer to this interesting thread!

Ok I'm French but leave in south of France (Toulouse for those who know, 4th city of France).

I personnaly have 1 balenciaga, 1 YSL muse, 1 LV clutch, 1 dior little saddle and latest purchase which is my favourite one Chanel medium classic flap. But it's true that I am considered as crazy by everybody here! French women tend to buy cheaper bags like LV or Gerard Darel or Longchamp. But only few would buy expensive ones like Chanel or Balenciaga or YSL. Chanel is the less common, the reason in fact is that it's considered to be a bag for old women. Lots of older women in their 60s or more have a Chanel bag. But there are some women wearing Balenciaga or YSL. In Toulouse, I see a few ones wearing them.

I think French women don't spend that much money on their clothes, they just want to look good but not necessarily with the best brands. Indeed we also have lots of smaller brands that make good quality clothes. They generally save money for the rent, or to buy a place. That's what everybody here tells me: why don't you save money to buy a place? I do think that it is smart to buy a place, but I just prefer making the most of my life and getting whatever I love rather than owning a place and not beeing able to enjoy life!

For your travels to France, I wouldn't consider wearing your expensive handbags during the day when you're walking around as everybody know you are tourists, but only when you're going out in a nice place. For your information, in January 2008, smoking will be forbidden in every restaurant/bars/clubs! Yay!!! Can't wait as I don't smoke!

What is funny is that the way of living is different in France and in the US. For instance, I remember that in the US Britney Spears perfume was the "IT" perfume, whereas in France you would never ever buy a perfume which is not from a big brand like Chanel, YSL, etc... We are the 1st perfume consumer in the world lol.

Anyway, hope that helped. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you need any information.

Just got back from Paris last night (still jetlagging :Push:smile: And man! What a wonderfully charming city! DH and I loved the food and the sights! Even the people too! I was suprised to find most of the SAs to be a lot more friendly than my neighborhood SCP ones. Even the SAs in Hermes! The ladies were soooooo nice and helpful! I got my first Birkin (black 40 Chever w/ GH) right there in the store!! And I was dressed like the typical tourist too(with my flipflops and backpack) but they still greeted me with a huge smile on their faces :smile:

Saw quite a few Birkins on Parisian women (and Japanese tourists) I did see a ton of tourist carrying Chanel shopping bags but not on the locals. And yeah! There were smoke everywhere! And DH just couldn't get used to the fact that he needed to pay 3.5 - 7 euros for water at the cafes and restaurants:P

Just got back from Paris last night (still jetlagging :Push:smile: And man! What a wonderfully charming city! DH and I loved the food and the sights! Even the people too! I was suprised to find most of the SAs to be a lot more friendly than my neighborhood SCP ones. Even the SAs in Hermes! The ladies were soooooo nice and helpful! I got my first Birkin (black 40 Chever w/ GH) right there in the store!! And I was dressed like the typical tourist too(with my flipflops and backpack) but they still greeted me with a huge smile on their faces :smile:

Saw quite a few Birkins on Parisian women (and Japanese tourists) I did see a ton of tourist carrying Chanel shopping bags but not on the locals. And yeah! There were smoke everywhere! And DH just couldn't get used to the fact that he needed to pay 3.5 - 7 euros for water at the cafes and restaurants:P

congrats on the birkin. it's great to hear that Hermes knows how to treat potential customers. always felt it might be too imtimidating to venture in there.

Hi Orecat,
Soooo nice...u got yr birkin..were u "offered" or simply walk in & picked 1 up:nuts:.. Congrats
My brother was in Switzerland, didn't managed to "popped" in Paris (i did sms him to check out for me)..he will be Paris on his next trip (soon).

Can I trouble u on the price of yr birkin??:P
"Chever" is a type of leather, rite?? Is this light??