Travel Paris or Venice?

Hi There!

I am currently living in Venice and I have travelled to Paris approximately 4 times. Tbh, i don't think you can go wrong with either and both of them are a classical tourist destination.

VENICE: I think Venice is more expensive for food and for staying. The city is a completely walking town and there are lots of bridges with stairs. It is very small geographical size and there are over 800 tourist destinations on the island. There is also Murano (glass making island), Burano (a colourful island) and Lido (the beach island). The vaporetto (ferries) can get you around to a lot of stops around the grand canal and to the neighbouring islands.

PARIS: this is a large city and if you stay near the Arc di Triomph it will be very expensive but there is more cheaper hotels to be found. There are lots of things to do and see, and you can take a taxi most places but be careful - they will over charge you. Also they have Uber if you are worried about Taxi's. I found Paris to feel less "safer" than venice due to the large amount of African's who move there to sell counterfeit products (Venice has these as well but they get arrested for selling these products and I have seen this happen loads of times).

I think the food is great in both places, but it is very different when you look at Italian and French cuisine. Both are major airports and major train stations so it is easy to go visiting neighbouring destinations.

The only reason I would pick Paris is because of Versailles and the Eiffel tower. However, I live in Venice and I see San Marco Basilica and the other sites on my daily afternoon stroll so their splendour my have dulled a little.

As I said - you can't go wrong with either.

Bon voyage/Buon viaggio!

Paris! I travelled to Paris back in March and I absolutely loved it! I was nervous after the attacks took place last fall, but I decided that life is to short to be worried. We (a group of us from my university) stayed in the 13th arrondissement Place d'Italie. Lots of restaurants, cafes, a fruit market, a mall, banks and easy transportation (Metro 7). Good luck with your choice!

Okay here's a question. Has anyone visited both in one trip? I know there's an overnight train from one to the other. I can't decide on one city or the other so why not do both at the same time. Time off from work is not a problem but 2 weeks(including travel time) is probably all I would find enjoyable. Thanks in advance!

I have done both in one trip. Just got back from 2 weeks in Europe. Venice was my favorite city. As someone said, the shopping is great. There are a bunch of little shops, and all the high end boutiques are there. The food was amazing, as was the wine. We actually flew from Venice to Paris for 3 days. The flights were super cheap. We took a red eye, with a flight time of 2 hrs. We only carried a carry one to save on cost. The airline was easy jet. I would say do both, depending on how long you are staying.

Reactions: dotty8
I agree there is more to do in Paris. But I loved Venice. Another thing to do is take a tour of the St. Marks Basilica. It was beautiful. Be careful if you are walking through the streets in Paris. People don't clean up after their dogs. I almost stepped in it a million times.

No we haven't gone - yet. We are still considering our options but it would be for our 25th anniversary that hasn't happened yet. Thanks for asking!
Depending on how much time you plan to spend in Europe, you could perhaps visit both cities. It is not difficult to travel in Europe, I would suggest starting with Venice (~3-4 days) and then Paris (~1 week).

I would choose Paris.
The museums are wonderful, always an interesting exhibition around the city, just strolling & wandering to an unexpected find
is always special & combined with the views & food, it's a WIN WIN..
So many charming small hotels to find now, a romantic boat ride down the Seine in the evening, touring the Eiffel Tower
its so chock full of wonder...
And the shopping is great as well
Enjoy your trip

I would also choose Paris. I was there in November for 5 nights and then took the train up to Brussels for 3 nights. There is just so much to do and see. And it's so romantic. I did not have any concerns regarding attacks. Everyone was extremely kind. There is certainly a police/armed soldier presence but I've been in many cities where that happens.

I spent my 10 yr anniversary in Italy. Venice is lovely but I was pretty much done with it after 2 nights. Florence/Tuscany on the other hand . . . If you add Florence, then I'd say go to Italy. Florence is so impossibly beautiful. The sidewalks are works of art.

Reactions: jellyv and dotty8