Owning multiples - mad or mad genius?

I have some doubles but not multiples as such. I have 2 MBMJ natashas (one normal size with snakeskin and one mini), and 2 MBMJ double percys (in different coulours). I have previously bought doubles in Kenneth Cole crossbodies because there was a clearance sale and those mini crossbodies are perfect for me when I'm just popping out for a long walk or doing a quick grocery shop.

I'm the same with my clothes. When I find tees that are made of great quality cotton or are cut just right, I'll buy 2 of each but I'm unlikely to grab more than that because I'd rather have some variety.
The only time I've done actual multiples are with work trousers, where I'll get the same cut in black (often 3 pairs), grey and navy. It's awfully hard to get good trousers for work so there I feel it makes the most sense to do multiples.

In general though, I think I'd rather spend money to add something different to my collection than just another of the same. It also allows me to try out brands and styles that I may not otherwise and I've discovered a few new favourites that way.

Having said that, I completely understand when people buy multiples of the same dress/ shoes/ bags. If you're not easily bored then of course multiples of your perfect item makes sense. You know it works for you and you will always use them, so in that case it's an investment. Some of the collections people post on TPF are truly stunning! :cool:

Mad genius. Some people crave variety, and some people lean towards a style uniform or signature look. I fall under the latter category. I do like to collect from many design houses, however, there are a few bags that I enjoy so much- that I have, and will continue, to acquire multiples. I have two Burberry DK88 bags. One is a warm “trench coat” color with gold hardware and soft untreated leather. The other is a metallic silver/silver hardware and a patent finish. Both medium size. So diverse in their aesthetic, yet technically the “same bag”.

And then there’s my growing collection of Bottega Veneta knot clutch minaudières. The unending combinations of interior/exterior/trim/knot is what draws me to them. So far, I have materials that range from; satin, python, velvet, patent, and caiman. One bag that contains the whole damn spectrum..

In conclusion, mad genius :smartass:

Attachments

• FA64EAE2-BA59-4264-B930-D31924BFF411.jpeg
    FA64EAE2-BA59-4264-B930-D31924BFF411.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 240
  • 0A99F9A4-1C5C-4BED-8EE4-23B4BEDA7A31.jpeg
    0A99F9A4-1C5C-4BED-8EE4-23B4BEDA7A31.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 238
  • 88250A6D-8C59-4BAA-BC5B-EF2037F4A262.jpeg
    88250A6D-8C59-4BAA-BC5B-EF2037F4A262.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 235
Mad genius. Some people crave variety, and some people lean towards a style uniform or signature look. I fall under the latter category. I do like to collect from many design houses, however, there are a few bags that I enjoy so much- that I have, and will continue, to acquire multiples. I have two Burberry DK88 bags. One is a warm “trench coat” color with gold hardware and soft untreated leather. The other is a metallic silver/silver hardware and a patent finish. Both medium size. So diverse in their aesthetic, yet technically the “same bag”.

And then there’s my growing collection of Bottega Veneta knot clutch minaudières. The unending combinations of interior/exterior/trim/knot is what draws me to them. So far, I have materials that range from; satin, python, velvet, patent, and caiman. One bag that contains the whole damn spectrum..

In conclusion, mad genius :smartass:
Pretty bags! The Burberry’s almost seem to glow!

I’d love to see more pics of other people's multiples!

Looking at this thread made me think.:rolleyes: Always fraud with danger... I do buy the same bag in different colours and sometimes ( same colour ) but different size, because the style works for me. I usually start with black or brown and take it from there...

Reactions: Sunshine mama
When I like the style of a bag, I usually have multiples of the bag. I own several LV Speedy and Neverfull. I also own a couple of Coach Parker and Cooper Carryall. Still thinking of getting Coach Rogue in another color :smile: I think owning multiples of a bag is nice and you can switch the colors to match your outfit of the day :smile:

Love this thread. I was on another thread asking the same question. I’m on the fence about diversifying my handbag collection or multiples. I’m an LV gal and as of right now I only have 1 multiple (Palm Springs Mini in mono and reverse mono). The other 4 are different sizes, shapes, and materials. However, I’m thinking of adding the reverse mono Pochette Metis and Empriente Metis to my collection. I just can’t decide lol. Decisions decisions

I only own multiples of one bag, the Coach Nomad crossbody. I love everything about it so have it in three colors: aubergine, burnished saddle, and dark cherry. Eventually I would like to acquire it in the dark denim color, as well. At one point in time I would have thought owning multiples of the same bag was foolish, but why not if they work for you?

for me what matters is the functionality
when i know what is where, and can 'fish out' any item without looking inside the bag that means it's my type of the bag
and then i go for different colours to add variety to the functionality
i have 7 BV hobos
5 BV Venetas
4 BV Cabats
5 BV Nodinis
7 Balenciaga Days
4 Balenciaga Bazars
4 Balenciaga flat clutches
a few other models in 2 pcs
If it works, why setting the limits??

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_1626566_2.jpg
    IMG_20180901_1626566_2.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20181202_1212534_2.jpg
    IMG_20181202_1212534_2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20180901_1630109.jpg
    IMG_20180901_1630109.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20190513_2017273~2.jpg
    IMG_20190513_2017273~2.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20190505_2002411.jpg
    IMG_20190505_2002411.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 116
for me what matters is the functionality
when i know what is where, and can 'fish out' any item without looking inside the bag that means it's my type of the bag
and then i go for different colours to add variety to the functionality
i have 7 BV hobos
5 BV Venetas
4 BV Cabats
5 BV Nodinis
7 Balenciaga Days
4 Balenciaga Bazars
4 Balenciaga flat clutches
a few other models in 2 pcs
If it works, why setting the limits??

Ksuromax, I want to vacation in your bag collection.

I vote for multiples. If I fall in love with a style, I want to be able to wear it with anything in my closet. I'm unadventurous/secure in my taste.