Overwhelmed by how many clothes I have. Help please

Oh, this sounds interesting! I would love to hear what the consultant recommended as well! I have been on a purge this last year and find it freeing. I like this thought of separating oneself from material things and thinking about how much we really need and if it really fulfills a purpose or is just a temporary feeling of boredom shopping. Great thread!

The consultant threw EVERYTHING onto my bed (lucky we have a king size!) and literally we went through it all. I'm now better at selling/donating things I don't use/need and stopping myself from buying items on repeat (silk shirts and blazers are a particular weakness!)

I've also developed a habit of taking regular inventory of my wardrobe and try harder to use more pieces in rotation instead of wearing same ones on repeat.

I go through phases where I want to live more simply and have less - but then I'll come across something in the shop or online that I can't resist! I have learned NOT to buy more than one or two pieces at a time ever (even during really good sales/promo codes). I just make myself choose the top 2 (max 3) pieces that I love the most. I also tend to buy more slow-fashion items as the price tag is a good check as well.

I know I will never stop shopping (I love it too much) but I am trying to buy more wisely and to really value my purchase.

I'm more on the minimalist side but don't get too hung up on a magic number of items. I would set a day aside and with the help of an honest friend (who isn't a hoarder!) throw all your clothes onto a bed and start sorting them into groups. Jeans, casual, work wear etc. Then have the usual go, keep, not sure piles. Ditch the 'go' pile early on, then try on all the keep and not sure and make some outfits, check for wear, fit etc then sort and throw more out.
Challenge yourself. Do you really need 50 t shirts or 30 pairs of jeans? Which ones do you actually wear?
Do you have items that don't go with the rest of your wardrobe?
Are you keeping items for an imaginary lifestyle? Or because they were expensive? or because you may slim back into them?

Put away season items, occasional wear etc.

Sell any items with a decent value via eBay etc

Then put all you want to keep and is seasonal back on the wardrobe and for 2-3 months somehow identify what you wear. Then revisit again after the initial trial period.

This should help you identify your style and colours you like and help you to plan future purchases. If you feel you need to try something new style wise maybe consider a stylist or personal shopper. I found Pinterest really good for identifying looks/styles I like.

Good luck!