Overwhelmed by how many clothes I have. Help please

Lara_11

Oct 7, 2015
I have more clothes than I can possibly wear in a year, yet, I keep cleaning up and donating bags and it goes back to being packed again. Issue I'm having now is that I like most of it if not all and I'm afraid of regretting selling or donating some but at the same time I want simplicity and more room in my closet. What would you do?

I have more clothes than I can possibly wear in a year, yet, I keep cleaning up and donating bags and it goes back to being packed again. Issue I'm having now is that I like most of it if not all and I'm afraid of regretting selling or donating some but at the same time I want simplicity and more room in my closet. What would you do?

Personally, I would highly recommend this book by Marie Kondo. While I certainly didn't have such hesitation of letting go of majority of my clothes, it helped me get going and commit to tidying up. It offers an alternative perspective on your belongings in general and as cheesy as it may sound, it was quite life-altering. Granted, having a baby also shifted my view of belongings and "stuff" in general, but this book just made it easier to let go. All the stuff you once thought was important or held some intrinsic sentimental value will soon appear to be entirely insignificant and you realize the real benefit of ridding yourself of the clutter.

The Audible audio version of the book is a very easy listen, I'd recommend that as well. Good luck!

I have and have had a ton of clothes. I break it out into logical groups for work, casual, workout, and formal for each season and then break it out into items and compare. I had about two dozen pencil skirts, ten grey sweaters, a half dozen pink sweaters, and more when I went through things. Of multiplicative items, I narrowed it down to the pieces that I loved the most. It put it in perspective.

Sure, I love pink sweaters, but when looking at them all, there were some that stood out that I really loved, some that were worn, etc. I may still have three, but that's half what I had before.

Personally, I would highly recommend this book by Marie Kondo. While I certainly didn't have such hesitation of letting go of majority of my clothes, it helped me get going and commit to tidying up. It offers an alternative perspective on your belongings in general and as cheesy as it may sound, it was quite life-altering. Granted, having a baby also shifted my view of belongings and "stuff" in general, but this book just made it easier to let go. All the stuff you once thought was important or held some intrinsic sentimental value will soon appear to be entirely insignificant and you realize the real benefit of ridding yourself of the clutter.

The Audible audio version of the book is a very easy listen, I'd recommend that as well. Good luck!

Thanks. I heard it's a good one. I may get it to read during my long flight on Monday. And I have a baby too so I have no time to spend hours arranging outfits getting ready and I'm obsessed with Poshmark but it takes time to post and ship which I don't have much of with a job from home and a now non stop one year old. As much as I lobe clothes I have a buying problem too which adds to the never ending chore of clearing the closet

I have and have had a ton of clothes. I break it out into logical groups for work, casual, workout, and formal for each season and then break it out into items and compare. I had about two dozen pencil skirts, ten grey sweaters, a half dozen pink sweaters, and more when I went through things. Of multiplicative items, I narrowed it down to the pieces that I loved the most. It put it in perspective.

Sure, I love pink sweaters, but when looking at them all, there were some that stood out that I really loved, some that were worn, etc. I may still have three, but that's half what I had before.

Did you have regrets getting rid of the others? I think of all the money wasted but consider the neatness, simplicity and practicality may be worth it. Then I have to address my issue with buying. I don't go to many physical stores but I'm in the deep with online shopping ever since I went on maternity leave and got bored out of my mind. Now it's a habit

Reactions: eagle1002us
Honestly? I left them in the bags to donate for a few months and never even looked in them. It made it a lot easier to get rid of them.

Some of the stuff still had tags on it. Sure, some purchases were an absolute waste of money, but it also makes me be more aware of my purchases and how excessive I've been. I figure someone out there needs the clothes (I donate), though, so it helps me accept it.

Honestly? I left them in the bags to donate for a few months and never even looked in them. It made it a lot easier to get rid of them.

Some of the stuff still had tags on it. Sure, some purchases were an absolute waste of money, but it also makes me be more aware of my purchases and how excessive I've been. I figure someone out there needs the clothes (I donate), though, so it helps me accept it.[/QUOT

So true about the awareness! My husband is so basic that if he buys 2 shirts, he gets rid of 2 old ones. I wish I was like that but I need to get to the magic and manageable number of items first

So I would suggest a couple things. I feel your pain, first of all. And shopping out of boredom does become a habit -- almost an addiction for the mini-rushes it gives us as we buy things. Those feelings quickly dissipate and we are back to buying, because we like to acquire and have that feeling. My suggestion to you would include some combination of the following, depending on what works for you:

1. Go a day without buying. I'm not sure how often you're buying, but if it is every day, try a day without it. Just one, and then you can build from there.
2. Replace the browsing/shopping time with something else. Like reading a book, or if you can't do that with a little one, try Audible suggestion that Vlad made above. That book in particular could help with your current situation.
3. Get a friend to come over and help you sort through your closet. This might take several sessions, esp as you are at home with a little one. Sort by style of clothing, category, color, etc, as suggested above. Start making decisions as to what you really like -- and what is duplicative. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your closet won't get sorted in a day either. Just take your time and relax, and use it as a source of meditation/clarity through organization.
4. Consider setting a budget for yourself on shopping. And then stick to it.

Some initial thoughts for you.

So I would suggest a couple things. I feel your pain, first of all. And shopping out of boredom does become a habit -- almost an addiction for the mini-rushes it gives us as we buy things. Those feelings quickly dissipate and we are back to buying, because we like to acquire and have that feeling. My suggestion to you would include some combination of the following, depending on what works for you:

1. Go a day without buying. I'm not sure how often you're buying, but if it is every day, try a day without it. Just one, and then you can build from there.
2. Replace the browsing/shopping time with something else. Like reading a book, or if you can't do that with a little one, try Audible suggestion that Vlad made above. That book in particular could help with your current situation.
3. Get a friend to come over and help you sort through your closet. This might take several sessions, esp as you are at home with a little one. Sort by style of clothing, category, color, etc, as suggested above. Start making decisions as to what you really like -- and what is duplicative. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your closet won't get sorted in a day either. Just take your time and relax, and use it as a source of meditation/clarity through organization.
4. Consider setting a budget for yourself on shopping. And then stick to it.

Some initial thoughts for you.

Thank you! I actually read so much. I need to read more, lol :smile: thanks for all the tips. I do need to create a budget

I had a ton of clothes and it's been a journey cleaning it out and discovering my style.

The KonMarie method helped me a lot with what I already owned, but the second half of the problem is not bringing more things and filling up the wardrobe again. I only kept things I felt good in, things that fit, and things that I can wear easily. Out of all the methods I've tried, the KonMarie really got me to change my outlook on stuff.

That is what I've been working on. It helps to avoid shopping when emotional, having a list and if shopping with others, letting them know what is okay and not okay to buy. Being more mindful when shopping, such as why am I buying this? Is it in budget? Will it work with several things in my closet. Is it too hard to care for?
Then setting a limitation that isn't restrictive. Mine is clothing items to be less than 100 items, accessories must fit in designated spaces. No overflow.

A new hobby is essential if shopping out of boredom. I've been reading, catching up on my Netflix watch list, playing video games, etc.

Cleaning out the Closet thread is a helpful one in the Money Talks subform, they really helped me with the clean out and encouraged me during the rather frustrating time of cleaning out.

I'm reading Konmarie's book now actually:smile:
I just cleaned up my closet using the method but I'm not in the part of the book that talks about resisting shopping yet. Is that in the Life Changing Magic of Tyding Up? I picked up her other book too which I haven't started

QUOTE="bakeacookie, post: 31541778, member: 165208"]I had a ton of clothes and it's been a journey cleaning it out and discovering my style.

The KonMarie method helped me a lot with what I already owned, but the second half of the problem is not bringing more things and filling up the wardrobe again. I only kept things I felt good in, things that fit, and things that I can wear easily. Out of all the methods I've tried, the KonMarie really got me to change my outlook on stuff.

That is what I've been working on. It helps to avoid shopping when emotional, having a list and if shopping with others, letting them know what is okay and not okay to buy. Being more mindful when shopping, such as why am I buying this? Is it in budget? Will it work with several things in my closet. Is it too hard to care for?
Then setting a limitation that isn't restrictive. Mine is clothing items to be less than 100 items, accessories must fit in designated spaces. No overflow.

A new hobby is essential if shopping out of boredom. I've been reading, catching up on my Netflix watch list, playing video games, etc.

Cleaning out the Closet thread is a helpful one in the Money Talks subform, they really helped me with the clean out and encouraged me during the rather frustrating time of cleaning out.[/QUOTE]

Another book that may be helpful is Lessons from Madame Chic by Jennifer Scott. She also also has a blog, The Daily Connoisseur. She frequently makes blog posts and videos about capsule wardrobing. She is pretty flexible in her approach.

I have recently been using a five bottems, 10-12 tops, several casual dresses guideline that has helped me pull together a core wardrobe that is workable for me. From this point on, because I have a base established, a one in, one out rule may be workable.

As far as being bored at home, I agree that finding hobbies to replace the shopping would be helpful. Something else you might consider are online classes in something you are interested in as this can be done during your free time. Also online research regarding decluttering, simple living, etc. may help you to stay on track.

Getting rid of the excess is a great first step, then learning to not continue to bring more stuff in is a relief.

Good luck!