overpaid babysitter?

i dont think $50 is too much especially if she trusts you. its very hard for mothers to find suitable and trustworthy babysitters so she definitely thinks you a keeper! also i know some of my friends used to babysit for a lot more than that. parents are willing to spend lotsa money especially when it comes to their children. some parents spend $50 an hour for tutoring!

Lol, I used to get paid $12/hr to sit with a kid while he napped... talk about easy money! I'd bring my hw and watch tv! Be grateful for an easy babysitting job and hope they call you again! They're probably so happy to have someone their kids like and they trust, if I was a parent, it would be worth the $!

im their standing babysitter, every saturday!

bvbirdygirl : I personally would pay $50 for that amount of time for a babysitter, if they looked after my child well and were responsible.

I had a babysitter for my son one time, and later on I found that she and her family were investigated by DCF for child abuse. You can imagine my feelings when I found that out! Fortunately my son was not comfortable with her and I did not leave my son with her again.

Since you are their next door neighbour they probably have known you for a long time, and more importantly know your family as well. I would give my eyeteeth to have a babysitter that I know that well.

We pay $10 an hour for our one child, I think what she paid you is very fair. She probably wants you to want to babysit for her and also realizes that there is a random element to watching children. Sometimes it is going to be harder than other times.

I live in another country, but for me babysit two kids for three and a half hour?? I'd have to get paid double at least - and that's if they're good kids. I definately don't think you are being paid too much, and I think you can enjoy those money and not feel guilty about them. And anyways, if the mom paid you up with no discussion, she obviously can afford it :smile:

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. She wouldn't pay you that much if she didn't feel comfortable doing it.

I baby-sit for my next-door neighbours a few times a week, and they pay me about the same. Although I consider it to be a favor, and I love being with the kids, being paid a reasonable amount helps (if not by "returning the favor" on their end).

When I was little, my dad gave the sitter at least a hundred bucks, so...

bvbirdygirl : I personally would pay $50 for that amount of time for a babysitter, if they looked after my child well and were responsible.

I had a babysitter for my son one time, and later on I found that she and her family were investigated by DCF for child abuse. You can imagine my feelings when I found that out! Fortunately my son was not comfortable with her and I did not leave my son with her again.

Since you are their next door neighbour they probably have known you for a long time, and more importantly know your family as well. I would give my eyeteeth to have a babysitter that I know that well.

jeeez that is terrible!
i do think its true that the little kids can get vibed out by wierd babysitters..
maybe i think it is too much because my mom would pay MY babysitter to watch me ALL day EVERY day for 70 bucks.
including the chores. and my little brother!

wow. um. thats not fair.
the people i babysit gave us grammy tickets for watching their fish....

Haha. I had to rescue one of their fish from going in the filter, then take care of the cat and dog and do all that other taking care of house stuff. I think they take me for granted since I'm usually always available when they need me.
Sigh..you're lucky lol. Did you go?

If this were me, I'd accept the $50, but do little favors to the parents to show I'm grateful. For example, I'd take the kids to McDonald's or the park for ice cream and pay for it myself, not mentioning the amount it cost. Also, maybe if the parents are late in coming home, not charge for the extra time.

i get paid about 20$ a hour to sit on my butt... for four hours reading magazines and talking to patients.

the point is that if she didn't think it was a reasonable rate, she wouldn't have offered to pay you that

sometimes you want to be nice and say it's too much but some people may take that as offensive

if you want, as appreciation, during christmas or her birthday just get her something nice, a small token.