overpaid babysitter?

I would accept the money. The average is 10$ an hour and I would consider the extra $10 dollars a tip for good service. It is very difficult to find a decent sitter these days. Atleast that is what my friends tell me!

Not to mention sitters generally charge more for multiple kids. So I think you should happily accept the money without feeling greedy!

I would accept the money. The average is 10$ an hour and I would consider the extra $10 dollars a tip for good service. It is very difficult to find a decent sitter these days. Atleast that is what my friends tell me!

Not to mention sitters generally charge more for multiple kids. So I think you should happily accept the money without feeling greedy!

ditto for the multiple kids!

It honours you that you feel it is too much money (I don't know your age) but let me tell you, the mother has a good reason to pay you nicely (I am a fairly new mum)

she figures you will treat her children nicely while she is out, so she pays for her peace of mind as well. It is not that much for 4/5 hours IMO - just take the extra care of the children and she will feel it is worth her money!

Lol. I've come to the conclusion that I'm underpaid. Then again, these same neighbors haven't even paid me for the last time I watched their house and pets when they went away. Sigh. :lol:

When I babysat, I got paid $10-15 an hour, depending on the time of day and the length. I would get paid more nights (I came home with $150 on NYE after watching 2 kids sleep for a few hours! :biggrin: )

I don't think she really overpaid you, considering there are 2 children, and you say sometimes you are there for up to 4 hours.

I say keep it! I am a mom of two little ones and I would be happy to pay $50, even more, to someone I can trust and know that the kids will enjoy having.

If you do tell them that you feel guilty about it, they will probably just tell you to keep it. By telling them that you feel like youre getting overpaid will reassure them what a great sitter you are!!! :smile:

It's totally worth the money to find a good sitter. My boy's are 3 & 6 & I've NEVER had a sitter for them.. Just grandma when she's in town. It's not from lack of trying, just haven't found someone I'm comfortable with. It's hard because there are times we REALLY need a sitter & would pay generously for a good one!

Whenever we are in Florida, I do use an awesome babysitter service that I'm really happy with! We are building a house down there so we have some necessary builder/architect "adult" meetings to go to. The service has been a lifesaver. Same setup as what Junkenpo wrote. We pay the service a $30 fee to use them throughout the trip (if we need someone more than once..) Then it's $10 for the 1st child & additional $2 for my youngest. The sitter comes to our hotel/condo, wherever we are. We've had 4 different wonderful ladies watch our boys. Some are 20 something's in college & some are grandmas/retirees. They are all CPR certified, background checked, DMV checked, the works. Additionally, when we move down, I FINALLY have access to great babysitters!!!

So we pay $12 hour + we always tip~:yes: After all, your kids are the most precious thing you have!

You're a trustworthy babysitter & those are hard to come by, well-behaved kids or not. $50 is not a lot for someone who will actually interact with the kids and who knows what to do in case of emergency...

Heck... when I was 16, I worked for a baby-sitting agency for the summer...they required you to be certified in CPR and basic 1st aid. The agency would call us & ask if we would like to sit at such-and-such a date from whatever time... mostly for the tourists who brought their kids with them on vacation. If I had plans (or if the sit was a child under 2!) I would say "no thanks" and they'd call the next sitter on the list.
This was 10 (or so ;) ) years ago, and I was paid $9/hr for the 1st kid, and extra $2/hr per kid thereafter...there was a flat $4 traveling fee...and if the parents stayed out past midnight, it was time and a half. Double time holidays!

I was not allowed to take them to the beach (hotel pool only) or off property and I didn't have to cook (the parents either left food, money for food, or told me to call room service) .... I got to stay in some snazzy hotel rooms & sometimes even got tipped at the end of the night.

The best were the kids I could put down at 8pm for bed & spend the next 3-4hrs watching TV & occasionally peeking in to make sure they were still sleeping.

Good times. :jammin:

You are probably a good babysitter, and people like to know that their kids are safe with you. I WOULD pay that amount if I knew the person was good, and I'm not a person you'd call well-off by any means.

i think if it really bugs you, then maybe just have a casual chat with her about it.................i also think if she really does want to pay you that much cause you do a good job, then just take the money

I had nannies growing up and I also nannied for a time when I was in college. trust me when I say it is more of a relief to the parents to know that they have someone that is good with thier kids and that the kids adore! Im sure they love knowing they have someone they can count on so they can have time together on a Saturday night! You deserve what you are getting paid as the service you are providing to the parents is Im sure so important. Enjoy! I only hope when we finally manage to get pregnant than I kind find someone that I trust like this.

It is probably what she wants to pay you. I pay my sitter really well, because my kids love her and i love her and a great sitter is hard to find. Just be happy with it, if she felt it was too much she wouldn't do it!

My friend with a 2yo is desperate to find a babysitter like you. You're obviously worth the $50, so take it and keep doing a good job. That mom's peace of mind is worth more than the $50 it takes for you to watch her kids.