Over-priced shoe brands: in your opinion

In general, I can't fathom why any of the major upscale brands (Manolo, CL, etc.) cost what they do. You can only pay so much for craftsmanship, and then the cows must be magical or something.

I agree with this philosophy and skepticism for almost everything.

Though craftsmanship and materials, for the most part, is what separates an ugly shoe that is comfortable (or a beautiful shoe that is hell on your feet) from a gorgeous shoe you can walk in all day.

Last edited:
I think most designer items are overpriced, but I guess it is the price you pay for exclusivity

I agree that CL’s are way overpriced, especially those VP nudes I am dying for :roflmfao:

Everything is overpriced, especially in this economy! The markup on all shoes from regular brands to high end brands is crazy... but right now, I'm most frustrated by Loeffler Randall boots... I want a pair of Emmy boots but I refuse to pay $725!! :Push:

IMHO any shoe past $500 that isn't an exotic is overpriced. We are paying for the name point blank. This goes for CL's, Choos, Manolo, etc. I own these brands and yes I feel like I'm overpaying. My $770 Very Prives are no more comfortable than some of my $150-300 shoes. They are lovely and sexy though. Just yesterday I tried on a pair of Jimmy Choo sandals that were $1395. :wtf: While gorgeous, NO way in hayle are they worth it. I'm sorry.

So...if we can all (basically) agree that most of the brands that we love are overpriced and not worth it...why do we do it?

I've been on a shoe ban since the end of December. It's basically been 1 month. I'm going crazy to drop some dough on some new YSLs. That need would NOT be satsified by a new pair of Nine West shoes! So, what's the deal? Are we just suckers for branding and supposed exclusivity?

i agree with everyone about CL. the shoes are beautiful and stylish but in a practical sense, why spend so much on something that goes on your feet? i know i personally don't even notice someone's shoes as much as maybe their purse.

So...if we can all (basically) agree that most of the brands that we love are overpriced and not worth it...why do we do it?

I've been on a shoe ban since the end of December. It's basically been 1 month. I'm going crazy to drop some dough on some new YSLs. That need would NOT be satsified by a new pair of Nine West shoes! So, what's the deal? Are we just suckers for branding and supposed exclusivity?

Good question. I do it, personally, because even though I know the designer shoes aren't *worth* the price, they still *look* a lot better to me than the designs by say, Nine West or Steve Madden. So I'm willing to pay for the designs. I mean, at the end of the day, nobody sees the Prada or Marni label in my shoes. It's not like a logoed handbag for the most part.

I think it's interesting so many responders feel CL is overrated/overpriced, yet the popularity of his shoes has earned them their own subforum.

I am not surprised at all. If there were a designer toilet paper brand that cost 5-10 times the price of the regular "non-glamourous" brands, there would a subforum for it too. Esp. if it was only carried by few "exclusive" stores ;)

Good question. I do it, personally, because even though I know the designer shoes aren't *worth* the price, they still *look* a lot better to me than the designs by say, Nine West or Steve Madden. So I'm willing to pay for the designs. I mean, at the end of the day, nobody sees the Prada or Marni label in my shoes. It's not like a logoed handbag for the most part.

I agree 100%. They do look much better than the lower end brands, but the prices are getting outrageous. I have never seen so many >$600 shoes before. :confused1:

I agree with IntlSet. For me, clothes and shoes are all about how they make me feel when I wear them.

Logic and sensibility are reserved for white exercise socks and airline tickets.

i've always wondered if there are people out there who get really good knockoffs and paint the soles the same CL shade of red.

Yes, Nine West made good knock-offs of CL Very prive few seasons ago and it costs $25 around where I live to paint the soles red (I haven't done it yet). Although Nine West shoes already had the red soles. Prior to CL coming to the scene, Carlos Santana shoes had red soles. Santana shoes used to have better quality though.

I am not surprised at all. If there were a designer toilet paper brand that cost 5-10 times the price of the regular "non-glamourous" brands, there would a subforum for it too. Esp. if it was only carried by few "exclusive" stores ;)

I'll refrain from arguing about the exclusivity of CL shoes, but your point is well taken.