Over Birkins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that I just found this thread! How disturbing! Such a sad case of bullying others by feeling so superior. This 'superior' being needs to remember that we all come into the world completely naked with no possessions and leave that way too. The only reason we have clothes on at the end is because another has dressed us. The meaning of life has nothing to do with our worldly possessions, but what we did to make a positive difference for others. If you are rich then you should be thankful as many have to worry daily how they're going to feed their family let alone afford a meal at a restaurant. Being grateful for your financial status does not include bragging.

I get what you are saying dear - I don't think the OP should be taken too seriously. however, for anyone that thinks like this - I truly am glad some people are that shallow that they would consider me irrelevant and not important (I don't have a B or a diamond encrusted watch) - the less I have to experience of people like this the better. people like this remind me of the kid my son used to play football/soccer with - he would put everyone down around him to make himself feel better - my kid would frequently be so upset until I told him that he should just start laughing at him - it changed the dynamic quite considerably (people like this do not like to be laughed at..)

Reactions: chaneljewel
^absolutely. The OP is a troll and not a very good one. The B can be found online with a quick google (it is a woman's arm), the watch is nothing more than a blurry pic and the rest reads like the latest issue of GQ. Per Se can easily be booked through OpenTable and really, who calls themselves a "regular" anymore. It is just a bunch of blather from someone who is likely sitting in his underwear eating cheetos. *shrugs*

I do not ever want to be “over” beautiful things. I guess people become over things, it happens. Time, place, experience and life changes us, but I never want to be over the art and the craft of beautiful items. I think that’s how most of us ended up here, for one reason or another the siren song of the Orange world drew us in but what kept us here was the love of craftsmanship and beauty. I thought the references on this thread to Per Se were hilarious. I’ve been many times and anyone can get a reservation. Actually, the last time I was there we dined next to a dog….in a bag….under a table. His owner bragged in the elevator up that he had also dined at the French Laundry. So you see, not a hard reservation to get really. I can’t imagine being a regular as I would be 1,000 pounds and a drunk but the experience of food elevated to haute cuisine by people simply at the top of their game is one which I think everyone should share in. So when the stylist at my hair salon told me she was saving to go to Per Se because she was a foodie and asked “was it worth it” I said absolutely, I do hope you go, it is an amazing experience and so very worth it. I would say the same to anyone saving for their first Birkin, it’s an iconic bag and the quality is extraordinary.

Fashion comes and goes and changes but if I’m ever totally over it I would feel I had lost one of the sensual pleasures of life. When Tom Ford worked for Gucci he taught a very young and impressionable me what it meant to be sexy and sophisticated, it is not something I will ever forget. When TF left did I feel an overly logo loving brand lost it’s allure, was I over it, yes perhaps. The same happened with Louis Vuitton, and I’m sure even LV was painfully aware. Are these brands now revitalized and again tempting my senses, absolutely. Part of what we love is how we were raised and how we have lived. I will never get over seeing Claudia Shiffer in jeans, a white tee and a Chanel jacket. For me that will be forever chic and the catalyst for my lifelong love of Chanel.

I don’t ever want to be “over” beauty, style and the art of great craftsmanship. For me right now, that is Hermes. I’ve had some pieces for a while and I still look at my Bamboo B and die a little over it's color saturation, the gleaming gold hardware and the beautiful curves. I don’t worship it and I wear it as much as possible because I think a thing of beauty should be enjoyed. If H is no longer your cup of tea, so be it, but hopefully something else will make your head turn and the hair on the back of your neck stand up ever so slightly. I hope I never grow immune to beautiful things it would be a sad existence. Ultimately this a forum to share knowledge, of which I have gained a tremendous amount, thanks to some very dedicated people, and to share a love of beautiful things and great craftsmanship. When you post a picture of your holy grail bag on TPF, a term which your husband does not even understand, and twenty people reply with congratulatory remarks and crazy love for your bag, it is a very warm and satisfying experience. Sorry for the rant but let’s drown out the negativity and enjoy our love of a truly iconic brand. Love to you all!

I happen to prefer Eleven Madison Park.

While this forum certainly skews toward the financially comfortable, of course some members are bound to be among the truly wealthy. As others stated, I can see how luxe items would lose their luster when they become as easy to buy as a pack of gum (and with the same barely discernible hit to the pocketbook). I could see getting to the point of being "over" such items.

But for me, that would be because I instead started focusing on restoring Norman ruins or founding a rare art museum or breeding elite race horses or flying experimental aircraft. No matter one's financial status, life should always be about finding joy, purpose and challenge. And that's why the OP strikes me as such a tragic figure. If he is genuinely jaded about fashion as a result of his wealth, I hope he finds a new pursuit that can feed his soul.

In the meantime, I will be here with you lovely people discussing what feeds mine.

This guy seems long gone...we can be entertained by this thread reading it but do we want to continue to react/respond to a troll from the past? The best thing about the thread is @MrsOwen3 's Photoshop!

I agree it's not worth responding to him directly, but the topic itself is fascinating: What's next once you become bored by something you used to love because you literally have all of it you could ever want?

Most of us will never hit that point--lucky for us, really--but this thread is an intriguing insight into a life ruled by material goods and the nasty politics that can come with social status. If nothing else, it's a nice reminder to stay classy.

The picture of the troll at Per Se wins the internet, though.

Per Se requires YOU to pay THEM if you want to bring your own bottle of wine. BYOB $150/bottle. ROTFLMAO!!!

9pov3l.jpg

It sucks, but a lot of restaurants charge a corkage fee and not just in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.