Ostrich color, please ID..

It's cognac color.....I don't think Birkins are old enough as a design (as say the Bolide/Bugatti or Kelly) for any to qualify as "vintage" yet so the raised "dots" on this bag indicate that it isn't an Hermes piece.

But since the question was about COLOR, it's cognac.

Last edited:
IT IS TRUE THAT MOST OF THE NEW HERMES OSTRICH BAGS HAVE "FLAT" QUILLS, AS THEY ACTUALLY HAMMER THEM FLAT. HOWEVER, THE VINTAGE BAGS DO HAVE THE RAISED QUILLS. I HAPPEN TO OWN A 35CM BOLIDE IN GOLD OSTRICH, AND IT DEFINITELY HAS RAISED, NATURAL LOOKING QUILLS. I ACTUALLY PREFER IT OVER THE FLAT VERSION, AS TO ME, THE FLAT QUILLS LOOK LIKE THEY'VE BEEN PAINTED ON. (IF YOU SPECIAL ORDER AN OSTRICH BAG, YOU CAN SPECIFY FLAT OR AU NATUREL!)

Good to know, Lily. My aunt has a birdie Birkin with quills that do look more pronounced than my own birdie (I just confirmed that she SOed it, but she doesn't remember haven been given a choice on the quills). But it certainly doesn't look... errr, pimply like in this pic. But again, the picture is bad so I'll chalk it up to that. :shrugs:

Good to know about the option of flat vs. raised quills--
Regardless, the bag in the (admittedly not optimal quality) photo does not appear to be of an Hermes-quality ostrich skin.