Opinions on faux engagement rings for certain travel

Maybe I am thinking different because I am older, but I always wear my real rings when traveling. I think my husband would be offended if I bought fakes after all the time and money that went into my real jewelry. I have a wedding ring set total of 3 carats and a three carat band ring, diamond studs and many diamond necklaces. I am never afraid to wear them.

I totally understand what you're saying - it's almost a shame to not wear the beautiful jewelry we have worked so hard for when we travel.

Just out of curiosity, do you do any travel to developing countries and cities? I had a friend who recently went on safari in Kenya who has around a 5 carat wedding set which is very flashy. She was told by travel agents, friends etc there was absolutely no way she could wear her jewelry there (even just plain gold), because she would be a massive target. In really poor countries I do think you need to be careful for safety reasons (because so many people are in such dire situations that they have nothing to lose really by trying to rob someone who appears to have money), and it might come across as disrespectful by flaunting such wealth when everyone around you will probably never earn the value of your jewelry in their entire lives. I'm sure 90% of the time you would be fine even if you wore your jewelry in those riskier places, but I suppose some people just don't want to take the chance at all, and would prefer to blend into the environment of the country they're in.

On the other hand, I think it's very acceptable to wear beautiful, expensive jewelry when travelling to the big cities in Europe, the US Asia etc where wealth is more common and accepted :flowers: