Opinions on faux engagement rings for certain travel

Depending on the destination and activities planned for the trip I have traveled with plain bands, bands with tiny diamonds, I have worn rings I normally wear on my right hand in place of my ering (like a pink sapphire ring), and I have also taken inexpensive sterling silver and cz rings with me. If you want to leave your expensive and/or sentimental pieces at home I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an alternate.

Dunno, maybe it's me, but it just sounds like you'd like a new piece of jewelry to travel with! If you're looking for a ring with a stone of color you could look at Yurman, hardy, ippolita and others. Or to make your vacation memorable, you could purchase something meaningful that would be a memeto of your vacation. Hth!

I've never understood the concept of a faux ring... Some of the Cali RHW do this...

If you don't want your ring stolen... Why would you want to tempt someone with a false image?
Why not stick with a band?

I think a different gem stone is fine, that way you could wear it on your right hand if you wanted. A thief is going to target you based on how flashy you are and opportunity.

I have some Diamonique pieces I wear when traveling. They're fun and they look great. Although I haven't bought any new pieces in at least ten years, so not sure of the quality these days.

Do they still offer the lifetime warranty? Years ago I had a Diamonique ring in which the main stone clouded up. I called QVC. They said they would first have to do a search of their microfilm order archive for my original ordering info, and if they replaced it they would replace it with a ring currently in stock. Since the ring had a lot of gold, and there wasn't anything currently in stock that was similar, I said no. I figured out that I could have replaced the stone with a stock stone from WinkCZ for less money and hassle.

I have had jewelry stolen from my purse and hotel room while traveling, so I've learned my lesson. When you're traveling you're in a new place and out of your usual routine so it's easy to leave things behind on counters and tables. I never travel with anything that would bum me out if it were lost. I say, OP, that if you want to buy fun, fake jewelry for travel, go for it. But I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a CZ piece, if that. And I wouldn't buy anything incredibly flashy because you don't want potential thieves assuming it's real.

Thank you for this detailed response. I have the same attitude as you. If it would make me really upset to lose it, I wouldn't take it. Something not particularly valuable, yet super fun to wear and easily replaceable is what I'm thinking of.

If you like color, Judith Ripka has some fun pieces in silver. Tiffany also has the Sparklers Collection in gold or silver and Paloma Picasso's Olive Leaf Collection in yellow gold. Hope this helps.

These are great suggestions. Very helpful, thanks!

Depending on the destination and activities planned for the trip I have traveled with plain bands, bands with tiny diamonds, I have worn rings I normally wear on my right hand in place of my ering (like a pink sapphire ring), and I have also taken inexpensive sterling silver and cz rings with me. If you want to leave your expensive and/or sentimental pieces at home I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an alternate.

Thank you for the input! I definitely would have considered a right hand ring, but I don't have many. The ones I have are either way too flashy or they are heirlooms. That's why I'm looking for something different and less expensive. Thanks again!

Dunno, maybe it's me, but it just sounds like you'd like a new piece of jewelry to travel with! If you're looking for a ring with a stone of color you could look at Yurman, hardy, ippolita and others. Or to make your vacation memorable, you could purchase something meaningful that would be a memeto of your vacation. Hth!

LOL, yeeeessss I'm totally looking to get something new! Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've never understood the concept of a faux ring... Some of the Cali RHW do this...

If you don't want your ring stolen... Why would you want to tempt someone with a false image?
Why not stick with a band?

I think a different gem stone is fine, that way you could wear it on your right hand if you wanted. A thief is going to target you based on how flashy you are and opportunity.

I have only taken a sterling silver/cz set with me a couple times out of country. My ering has a over 2 carat diamond center with sentimental value far greater than its monetary value which I would not risk losing or having stolen. Here is my scenario. I have traveled to another country a couple times for a friends and a relatives wedding. During the actual traveling portion and getting to the resort I wore a plain band (not my diamond wedding band just a plain white gold band). Here safety was a concern for me and I do not want to attact attention. At the resort which is rated very high and I feel totally safe to the events such as the wedding and nice dinners I wear the sterling and cz rings. I have no concerns here of my finger getting chopped off or someone robbing me as there are armed guards at the gate of the resort and I am in large groups of family and friends. Why would I wear a cz and sterling ring to the wedding and dinners? This is since to me my plain band looks completely boring and brings me no joy to look at and while I am enjoying these events and in the pictures to come I want to have a little flash on my fingers. When traveling back to the airport and such the rings are packed so again to not draw attention and if my luggage is stolen the rings would not be of concern since they are not valuable to me.

I have only taken a sterling silver/cz set with me a couple times out of country. My ering has a over 2 carat diamond center with sentimental value far greater than its monetary value which I would not risk losing or having stolen. Here is my scenario. I have traveled to another country a couple times for a friends and a relatives wedding. During the actual traveling portion and getting to the resort I wore a plain band (not my diamond wedding band just a plain white gold band). Here safety was a concern for me and I do not want to attact attention. At the resort which is rated very high and I feel totally safe to the events such as the wedding and nice dinners I wear the sterling and cz rings. I have no concerns here of my finger getting chopped off or someone robbing me as there are armed guards at the gate of the resort and I am in large groups of family and friends. Why would I wear a cz and sterling ring to the wedding and dinners? This is since to me my plain band looks completely boring and brings me no joy to look at and while I am enjoying these events and in the pictures to come I want to have a little flash on my fingers. When traveling back to the airport and such the rings are packed so again to not draw attention and if my luggage is stolen the rings would not be of concern since they are not valuable to me.

This is a very good explanation. I think several people posting in the thread didn't understand my actual question, but you have basically summarized it here! I couldn't have made the point any better than you did.

I'm not going to be running around in a bad neighborhood with a huge fake ring and a map in my other hand looking confused. I need something fun to wear when it is appropriate to do so!

I have travel jewelry that I wear. Usually, my Tiffany sterling that I don't often wear at home. It is fun to break it out for vacation and wear it again. I have an Atlas band to replace my eternity band and wear it with my other ss bracelets and necklaces. Here are 2 Elsa Peretti bracelets with a Mauboussin watch that was pretty inexpensive and definitely not flashy. They are fun to wear and you don't feel nervous about it. It's also flexible to have a watch that can have a whole new look with different bands, depending on your destination and wardrobe. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 466
This is a very good explanation. I think several people posting in the thread didn't understand my actual question, but you have basically summarized it here! I couldn't have made the point any better than you did.

I'm not going to be running around in a bad neighborhood with a huge fake ring and a map in my other hand looking confused. I need something fun to wear when it is appropriate to do so!

Happy to help. I bought my cz and sterling rings from the overstock . com site. I have a size 4 ring finger and it was very hard to find sterling bridal style rings in this size. I didn't want to pay to have an inexpensive ring sized down so was very happy to find they had a large assortment of sizes and styles at inexpensive prices.

I have travel jewelry that I wear. Usually, my Tiffany sterling that I don't often wear at home. It is fun to break it out for vacation and wear it again. I have an Atlas band to replace my eternity band and wear it with my other ss bracelets and necklaces. Here are 2 Elsa Peretti bracelets with a Mauboussin watch that was pretty inexpensive and definitely not flashy. They are fun to wear and you don't feel nervous about it. It's also flexible to have a watch that can have a whole new look with different bands, depending on your destination and wardrobe. Enjoy!

I love your stack!

Here are the actual rings I am referring to. The far left is a plain white gold band worn alone not to draw any attention. The ring stacked on top of it is cz and silver which I have traveled with and the one next to it is silver and 3 stone cz worn on my right hand. The wedding ring set and 3 stone ring on the right are my real rings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 555
Here are the actual rings I am referring to. The far left is a plain white gold band worn alone not to draw any attention. The ring stacked on top of it is cz and silver which I have traveled with and the one next to it is silver and 3 stone cz worn on my right hand. The wedding ring set and 3 stone ring on the right are my real rings.

Those are beautiful!

For what it's worth my elderly mom says that her friends in the 1950s and '60s used to have multiple wedding rings to wear for different occasions. Fancy, work, that sort of thing. And not all of them were real gold although they looked like it.

This is brilliant! Your decoys are very similar to your actual rings. I love this idea!

I looked around on Overstock and read some reviews. It's hard to tell what will look nice IRL. The reviews are all over the place. I'm going to try to look in some stores too.