Opinions on faux engagement rings for certain travel

Chi town Chanel

Meow!
O.G.
Dec 18, 2007
I would love to get some opinions. Whenever we travel in the US I always wear my jewelry. There are lots of European cities where I feel totally comfortable wearing it as well. However, sometimes when going places where the economy isn't great (not naming anywhere specific) I'm concerned about wearing my jewelry. Even if we are staying in the nicest hotel, we will also be exploring the cities we visit.

What is your opinion on getting a faux "fantasy" engagement ring in place of real jewelry for certain travel? If the faux gem is large, it may still attract the wrong element, but if lost or stolen I wouldn't be too upset. Although my real stuff is insured, it has sentimental value and I wouldn't want to lose it.

I was thinking about getting something faux that I would normally not choose if it were real. It would be fun to try something out and just to wear something different. Who knows, maybe I would end up loving it and getting a real one made... However, if I get something faux to wear, I wouldn't want it to be really cheap and cheesy looking either.

For those of you who would consider this, any idea where I could find something that looks nice but isn't too expensive (definitely under $1K or less)? Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you have. Thanks!

Why don't you just wear a wedding band and leave your ring at home?

My band has diamonds too. Also sentimental and wouldn't want to lose it.

I thought about just buying a plain band for travel, but then I thought I might want to do something fun instead. I'm still open to the band option though.

Honestly, you're no more safe w/ a fake ring than a real one. A criminal will break your finger or worse, trying to get anything off it.

Just wear a band, I wouldn't waste money on faux jewelry that won't necessarily make you any safer and may make you more of a target dependent upon the look of the faux jewelry.

I agree with Swanky and Nikki for the reasons they have stated. For a budget of under 1k, I would get a beautiful band ring in your favourite precious metal to wear for traveling x

I would love to get some opinions. Whenever we travel in the US I always wear my jewelry. There are lots of European cities where I feel totally comfortable wearing it as well. However, sometimes when going places where the economy isn't great (not naming anywhere specific) I'm concerned about wearing my jewelry. Even if we are staying in the nicest hotel, we will also be exploring the cities we visit.

What is your opinion on getting a faux "fantasy" engagement ring in place of real jewelry for certain travel? If the faux gem is large, it may still attract the wrong element, but if lost or stolen I wouldn't be too upset. Although my real stuff is insured, it has sentimental value and I wouldn't want to lose it.

I was thinking about getting something faux that I would normally not choose if it were real. It would be fun to try something out and just to wear something different. Who knows, maybe I would end up loving it and getting a real one made... However, if I get something faux to wear, I wouldn't want it to be really cheap and cheesy looking either.

For those of you who would consider this, any idea where I could find something that looks nice but isn't too expensive (definitely under $1K or less)? Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you have. Thanks!

We just went to the Cayman Islands and I knew I would be in the ocean for hours so I left mine home. Only drawback I kept getting referred as "one of the kids"!! Haha I loved it but my husband started getting annoyed:smile:

For a while I wore a faux eternity ring (CZ set in silver) mostly to see if the size fit in with work style/lifestyle since both are pretty active and I wanted to make sure gloves on/off/ catching/ comfort wouldn't be an issue. Went through 3 different tcw sizes (over 1 year) before finding the right one so glad I went the trial route. Now that I have the real thing, the fakes come out only for high-risk-of-falling off activities such as swimming in the ocean, etc. They were only $30-60 apiece (whereas my plain gold band was $200.) And I like sparkly things. However.... I do agree that wearing a flashy fake can call as much attention as the real thing...with the larger of my fakes coworkers and strangers would comment on how pretty it was all the time...and assumed it was real (often making comments on how "oh that must've cost a fortune!) Ironically its probably in the nicer/ safer places that people can eyeball the difference because they've had more exposure to the real thing Hope that helps!

I agree ^^, the criminal will not know if it is fake or real. I would never dream of wearing my engagement ring when traveling, actually I am terrified to wear it the store unless I am with my SO. Having an "insane" piece of jewelry is a blessing but it can also be terrifying.

Thanks for the honest opinions. I love to travel and a large part of the enjoyment for me comes from planning what to wear throughout the trip. It just really enhances the over all experience for me. I don't mind being without jewelry, but it isn't nearly as fun. I was thinking of having something faux as an alternative.

Honestly, you're no more safe w/ a fake ring than a real one. A criminal will break your finger or worse, trying to get anything off it.

This is what I was going to say.

If you're worried about safety, those criminals can tell no difference between real and fake. I'd just leave it at home or if you can't bear to not wear anything, wear a small non diamond band. I personally don't see the point of wearing a fake set.

I have a plain platinum knife edge band from Tiffany and I love it. I'm not opposed to faux jewelry just because you want to wear it though. I have a few costume pieces that others always ask if they are real, but I always say that they are costume. The real stuff would be in the six figures, lol.

When we travel internationally we usually have a driver and guide so I never felt the need to only wear my wedding band. If safety is a serious concern, I would hire a local company to be with you in any risky areas. I can give you the contact info for the travel coordinator our family uses (she's based in Chicago).

I guess I should clarify a bit. In this circumstance I'm not worried about personal safety, so that wasn't really what I was asking (sorry if I came across that way). I'm more worried about losing it. There is a chance something could get stolen from the hotel room, slip off, etc. I just want to be carefree but still wear something fun. We've done a bit of international traveling and I don't take anything that is going to get me into trouble (for example, I used a simple band in parts of Africa).

I do appreciate the responses. It seems like the thread is going in the direction of safety concerns more than exploring alternatives and that is OK.

As another alternative, I was considering doing something like a low end cocktail ring in lieu of a faux/cz engagement ring. An example would be an amethyst, blue topaz or pink topaz.

I had heard of women having "travel" jewelry and I just wanted to explore that idea.