Only Croc!!

if it was me, and it was going to be my one and only, it would be shiny black poro with phw.

shiny so it can dress up and down. black because i think i would tire of graphite over many years with only one croc option and it is dark grey. poro because i like scale size variance across the body of the bag as opposed to more uniform square nilo. phw because while ghw is a tad more trendy right now, phw will stand the test of time.

in terms of gator and nilo, both are less expensive than poro so that could be a factor as well.

:smile: keep in mind this is super subjective and you should choose what you love most, as it is a big investment!! just because many people may say black, if ebene or graphite makes your heart sing then that is the right choice. can't wait to hear what you choose!

I totally agree with LamborghiniGirl!

At the end of the day, black in either matte or shiny will look stunning. I think you should really do your research, and speak to your SA as much as you can/ see swatches if possible, to see which type of skin jumps out at you.

As for which colour to choose - only you can make this decision. Black is a colour that you will be able to wear with any outfit. However, if you love bright colours, and already wear alot of dark clothing (like me :graucho:), then perhaps you should consider a brighter coloured bag? Or if you have a favourite colour that you love to wear, maybe even go with that...?

Personally, as much as i like and adore graphite in either shiny or matte, it gets a little boring after awhile. Black shiny phw stands the test of time and looks modern with whatever outfit you put on. I hope you choose the shiny black with phw :smile: good luck in your decision!

Yes, I have seen two bags both Nilo w/ dot, no explanation from SA @ Hermes when I inquired :shrugs:

This is a good resource:

http://kaleidoplace.com/blog/?p=58

It would seem that all crocs (i.e. for our purposes nilo and poro) have the dot but alligators do not. (P.S. there are a couple more blog entries about croc and gator skin if you go back to the blog index).

Edit: just a thought: I don't know if it's available now but I seriously fell in love with a shiny indigo poro 30B owned by a fellow tPF-er. The indigo looks dark and it could pass as black but there's just that added little bit of colour of interest. Maybe indigo could be a consideration?

Last edited:
carlinha said:
i am in no way an exotic expert, but it was my understanding that all croc species have the "dot" or the pore - and that includes niloticus and porosus.

crocodiulus niloticus is from africa
crocodilus porosus is from australia - read that this is the "premier croc" but i don't think i can tell between poro and nilo to be honest with you, at least not now...

now alligator does NOT have the pore... so the "dot" is a way of differentiating alligator from crocodile.

if it were me... and my one and only croc... i would go for a matte graphite PHW... i choose matte because i think it can transition easily from day to night, whereas i think shiny is more night/dressy... graphite because i am obsessed with this as a neutral color and something different from basic black... and PHW also because it can be more daytime without too much bling...

this is very exciting and good luck!!!!

Thank you for the info!

I know I am a bit late here, but well...

If the bag will be your only one you MUST consider the way you dress before making any decision.
I have seen many croc Birkins in many colors, and I have seen many ladies with croc Birkins "live"....

Unless you wear black clothing all year, ( then you MUST get a Black bag) ,
GRAPHITE is your option,
and unless you wear only Rick Owens and similar,
SHINY it has to be.
unless you only lunch and shop,
PALLADIUM Hardware will be more versatile.

As for skins, a Niloticus will look wonderfull in a 30. You do not have to spend the price of Porosus for a 30, as the scales will be small enough to make the bag look very nice.

Alligator, I haven't seen any shiny Alligator bags lately other than Pochettes, but if you like the pattern of the scales, go for it. This is personal choice. Alligator is very durable.
It does not have the pores as Niloticus or Porosus have , but it does have an ombilical scale that is its signature ...

Thank you so much for your advice!! I totally agree about the PHW.....because croc is a more sophisticated look already....

I really cannot make up my mind about the black vs. graphite!!

About the shiny vs. matte, I wonder if shiny is just a little too dressy for day but matte is just a little too casual for night....

Thank you for your thoughts!

if it was me, and it was going to be my one and only, it would be shiny black poro with phw.

shiny so it can dress up and down. black because i think i would tire of graphite over many years with only one croc option and it is dark grey. poro because i like scale size variance across the body of the bag as opposed to more uniform square nilo. phw because while ghw is a tad more trendy right now, phw will stand the test of time.

in terms of gator and nilo, both are less expensive than poro so that could be a factor as well.

:smile: keep in mind this is super subjective and you should choose what you love most, as it is a big investment!! just because many people may say black, if ebene or graphite makes your heart sing then that is the right choice. can't wait to hear what you choose!

Shiny black croc is gorgeous, I prefer GHW because I feel it's more elegant, plus most of my jewelry is gold.

Personally, as much as i like and adore graphite in either shiny or matte, it gets a little boring after awhile. Black shiny phw stands the test of time and looks modern with whatever outfit you put on. I hope you choose the shiny black with phw :smile: good luck in your decision!

I totally agree with LamborghiniGirl!

At the end of the day, black in either matte or shiny will look stunning. I think you should really do your research, and speak to your SA as much as you can/ see swatches if possible, to see which type of skin jumps out at you.

As for which colour to choose - only you can make this decision. Black is a colour that you will be able to wear with any outfit. However, if you love bright colours, and already wear alot of dark clothing (like me :graucho:), then perhaps you should consider a brighter coloured bag? Or if you have a favourite colour that you love to wear, maybe even go with that...?

I personally would want my "only" to be a black shiny ghw if it's Kelly. And black matte ghw if it's birkin.

Thank you all for your advice! Graphite is very appealing to me. But at the same time I do think it is really hard to go wrong with black. It would help if I had a graphite bag so I can live with the color. Perhaps I should get one in another bag while searching for my croc just to see how the color does from day to day....Thank you!!

I know I am a bit late here, but well...

If the bag will be your only one you MUST consider the way you dress before making any decision.
I have seen many croc Birkins in many colors, and I have seen many ladies with croc Birkins "live"....

Unless you wear black clothing all year, ( then you MUST get a Black bag) ,
GRAPHITE is your option,
and unless you wear only Rick Owens and similar,
SHINY it has to be.
unless you only lunch and shop,
PALLADIUM Hardware will be more versatile.

As for skins, a Niloticus will look wonderfull in a 30. You do not have to spend the price of Porosus for a 30, as the scales will be small enough to make the bag look very nice.

Alligator, I haven't seen any shiny Alligator bags lately other than Pochettes, but if you like the pattern of the scales, go for it. This is personal choice. Alligator is very durable.
It does not have the pores as Niloticus or Porosus have , but it does have an ombilical scale that is its signature ...

Oooooh your advice it intriguing, Perlelare!!

Nilo- then for sure- I actually prefer the uniform look more

Palladium- then for sure- although I do aspire to only lunch and shop LOL J/K

Graphite- Oooh, I think so- can I wear this in summer with light colored dresses really, or is it still too dark??

Shiny- What if I wear also Missoni, Derek Lam, Bottega, Etro, Thakoon, Carolina Herrera etc etc-- but all skew toward Rick Owens if that makes sense??

Also how much more matte does shiny croc get over time, and how much more shiny does matte get over time? Do either one of them look worse going the other way? Thank you thank you!!!