OMG it just hit me the price increase is huge some bags are up 2-3k !

docride, I feel your pain. I think Hermes (and they just
had a price increase this past winter) does these increases
just because they can. I think it was allan (not sure)
who said in another thread that H is trying to make the
brand unattainable for some. It's getting to the point
that only people with comfortable incomes and the very
wealthy will be able to be regular customers at Hermes.

docride, I feel your pain. I think Hermes (and they just
had a price increase this past winter) does these increases
just because they can. I think it was allan (not sure)
who said in another thread that H is trying to make the
brand unattainable for some. It's getting to the point
that only people with comfortable incomes and the very
wealthy will be able to be regular customers at Hermes.

Yes, it was me.

I'm not defending Hermès, nor any luxury brand, but it is their way of preventing the mass from gaining access to their goods. The rise of the middle class and the amount of their disposable income has been observed to increase over time, thus, a price increase every so often is one of their ways to keep them from the mass's reach and provide "exclusivity" to their truly wealthy clients which they value the most.

To us non-wealthy aficionados, we'll just have to be patient in saving up because Hermès didn't really intend to cater to us. It is sad but it is the truth. After all, it's a luxury-goods store.

Oh! I thought the price increase was just U.S. only because of the sinking dollar. Which seemed reasonable (although sad). I will be happy to spend my plebian dollars elsewhere.

Yes, it was me.

I'm not defending Hermès, nor any luxury brand, but it is their way of preventing the mass from gaining access to their goods. The rise of the middle class and the amount of their disposable income has been observed to increase over time, thus, a price increase every so often is one of their ways to keep them from the mass's reach and provide "exclusivity" to their truly wealthy clients which they value the most.

To us non-wealthy aficionados, we'll just have to be patient in saving up because Hermès didn't really intend to cater to us. It is sad but it is the truth. After all, it's a luxury-goods store.

This makes total sense. :tup: I'm in the non-wealthy group and will likely have to buy less .....

They're in the business to make money when it comes down to the bottom line. As the economy worsens, it's getting worse for them too. So price increases will always happen unfortunately. Maybe this is why we are seeing more bags on the shelf than we used too also.

Yes, it seems like they don't want to cater to the upper middle class..sheesh so, does this mean that we doctors,lawyers, and other professionals are just tradesman to H ? The trailor trash of their customers? This feels so ugly...

I HAVE noticed more bags on the shelves! I hadn't much considered that, just chalked it up to going more.

My PO is taking forever... 1 more increase, and I will have a hard time convincing DH... Who remembers what they cost a couple years ago! Durn his good memory! :P

I purchased my first H scarf on the Queen Mary this past December 2007 for $295 (duty and tax-free) but here in the US it was $325, then $355, now $375. That's an unbelievable hike in less than a year. I'm glad I got my Lindy and Kelly when I did. But scarves, for some reason, I just can't say no. I guess now, I'll have to.
---Judy

i dont know about USA, but in Australia, 10K (AUD)of a birkin is ....normal...

in here, birkin with exotic leather sometimes is up to 20K or more.

and normal even 25cm birkin is around $10 000 , so USA is still prety lucky ~

NOte: $1 USD = $1.20 AUD

In Canada, a 35 cm Birkin is over $10,000 and has been for awhile. And scarves are over $400 and shawls are about $1,200. These prices have been around for a while, normal I guess for us.

They are taking advantage of demand to increase profit and growth. The demand is created by runway shows, advertisements, myths about waiting lists and new items that share recognizable characteristics of the Birkin and Kelly. Hermès doesn't check the social registry to see if a given customer is the right type of customer. If they were trying to block out certain customers wouldn't they raise the prices in France also? It is all about what the market will bear. After hitting $1.60 the euro is basically where it was when they last increased prices ($1.50), so clearly exchange rates are not the blame.

I agree with liness92, it's been like that here in Canada for a while. Even the SA I deal with in Vancouver told me to buy H items in US if ever I'm going there because of the prices here. Oh well, time to resurrect the Amex card from the frozen depths of my freezer... the time has come!