OMG I hope this hasnt happened :(

It was posted on Feb 5th, arrived at the Customs (Parcelforce) people Feb 11th, paperwork from Parcelforce regarding charge dated Feb 13th.

The PF website was down on the 13th, and it was late on the 14th before I managed to make the payment.

I could have had it delivered on the Saturday :cursing: for an additional £12.00.

It was therefore delivered on the Monday, I wasn't going to give them any more money which I felt they were not entitled to take it from me in the first place.

But hey, we live and learn.

If my expectant parcel costs me additional, not a problem, because I am expecting it!!!

You know it would be cheaper to go on a weekend trip to Milan and shop, I bet it would be a site cheaper than paying customs. :idea: And a great deal more fun!:nuts:

Sounds awful and I think they should have delivered it on the saturday for free. Milan sounds great...lol, better than customs :cursing:

"Kindly note, I will not charge any fee for handling (i.e., customs
paperwork, etc.)."

so did this mean by the seller saying this that there would be no customs fees ?...Im really confused

No he is just saying he wont charge you processing fees to wrap the parcel, fill in the customs form, take it to the PO etc.

No seller can ever say the buyer won't pay duty - its not up to them!

I think they are...I would definately appeal, I cant see how they can charge you more customs than the item cost! Have you got a breakdown of the fees?

Yes in fact, I will scan the stupid thing, and post it.

However below is the breakdown.

Import duty : £0.00
Excise duty :£0.00
VAT 17.5% : £24.05 Good 'ole Gordon Brown!!
Other : £0.00
Parcel Force
Clearance Fee : £13.50

Total : £37.55

Absolute garbage isn't it. Must be the same maths applied to the calculation formula on this ^^ as in the tax on petrol. :sick:

I'd still give it a couple of days, maybe it's just slow because it got into customs during the weekend? :shrugs:

However, I noticed too that when you use Express Mail, items get stuck in customs almost everytime, while I never had any problems with Priority Mail at least here in Germany :shame:

Btw, if it was send via USPS (United States Postal Service), I don't think that you have to pay for the return shipping (I know for sure that here in Germany you don't):yes:

I had an Express Package from the US stuck in customs here in Germany and German customs gave me two options:
1) Pay the customs duty
or
2) deny acceptance and have it returned to the sender

I talked to the seller and chose the 2nd option. It was sent back to the seller via USPS Express Mail and fully trackable, so maybe that would be an option, if the fees would be super high :shrugs:

Import duty : £0.00
Excise duty :£0.00
VAT 17.5% : £24.05 Good 'ole Gordon Brown!!
Other : £0.00
Parcel Force
Clearance Fee : £13.50

Total : £37.55

OMG! :cursing::rant::censor: What horrible people. How did they get those figures, I mean they're clearly wrong :sad:
and wth is a clearing fee?

OMG! :cursing::rant::censor: What horrible people. How did they get those figures, I mean they're clearly wrong :sad:
and wth is a clearing fee?

Great isn't it. LOLOL.

I have NO idea how they came to the conclusion.

I am wondering if it may possibly have been because there was no specific detail on the completed customs form. Had 1 item, Description had Luella and nothing in any of the values!!!!!!

It was a wallet of about 4"square ~ wasn't even a big item.

Total cost with shipping (at the worst possible exchange rate) it was under £35.00.

And below is what it says on the Charge note.

Please note that goods imported into the European Union with a value over £18, or £36 in the case of gifts are subject to Customs Charges. Different rules apply to Excise goods eg. cigarettes, tobacco and alcohol. Any query about .................. blah blah blah

And, parcel cannot be delivered until Duty is paid.

One thing I am not clear on, and I was told on another forum that even if you don't pay or refuse to collect it, you are still liable for the duty!!!! Now, I am not sure on that. But, my suspicious mind now makes me wonder if it is a possibility, another person said it would be returned but a further argument said the package would be destroyed.:cursing: Anybody know, please??

How can 17.5% of £35 be £24.05? That was the value declared wasn't it?

That is the Million Dollar Question ~ I have no idea, I don't know where they even got the amount from. There was no declared value on it. Might have made them suspicious.

There is no indication of the cost of it. It was opened and sealed back up. So, they didn't even know what was in the envelope. I wish now they would have opened it.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you write a complaint etc? I definitely would have.

I haven't, I need to do it tonight.

I have been in "ignore it" mode to be honest.

I always feel that you get nowhere with "officialdom" these days, and so tend to put it behind me and move on.

Although I know if it would have happened to someone like my OH's daughter, she would have been mortified, and unable to pay an additional £37.55. So, from that point alone ~ I need to flag it up.:shrugs:

I just find it so weird that they just sent you an invoice - I mean, here I have to go and show them first what I bought - btw, always when I have to pay customs opened the parcel first (I reckon they have my name somewhere on a wall in huge red letters - why is it aLWAYS ME?? haha)
the last time the seller had left the paypal payment proof on top of the bag so when they opened the parcel they calculated customs based on that.

if you can't proof how mcuh you paid they will estimate how much it might be based on research.... but I heard they always under-estimate! are you sure they didn't open it?

you should appeal sending your proof of payment,

I'd still give it a couple of days, maybe it's just slow because it got into customs during the weekend? :shrugs:

However, I noticed too that when you use Express Mail, items get stuck in customs almost everytime, while I never had any problems with Priority Mail at least here in Germany :shame:

Btw, if it was send via USPS (United States Postal Service), I don't think that you have to pay for the return shipping (I know for sure that here in Germany you don't):yes:

I had an Express Package from the US stuck in customs here in Germany and German customs gave me two options:
1) Pay the customs duty
or
2) deny acceptance and have it returned to the sender

I talked to the seller and chose the 2nd option. It was sent back to the seller via USPS Express Mail and fully trackable, so maybe that would be an option, if the fees would be super high :shrugs:

I honestly wonder how long that is going to last ....
but when I returned the fake Boogie I got stuck with and the seller gave me wrong address the parcel came back and DHL made me pay 10 euro for it.... AH! :cursing: can you believe it? I am still stuck with that bloody thing and paid altogether like 30 euro for postage. what am I going to do with it?

I just find it so weird that they just sent you an invoice - I mean, here I have to go and show them first what I bought - btw, always when I have to pay customs opened the parcel first (I reckon they have my name somewhere on a wall in huge red letters - why is it aLWAYS ME?? haha)
the last time the seller had left the paypal payment proof on top of the bag so when they opened the parcel they calculated customs based on that.

if you can't proof how mcuh you paid they will estimate how much it might be based on research.... but I heard they always under-estimate! are you sure they didn't open it?

you should appeal sending your proof of payment,

As I am awaiting a package from the US at the minute, I think I might wait until that arrives. Knowing my luck they will receive my mail disputing the last one, on the day the other package arrives. :cursing:

There was absolutely no sign of opening, although we have just discovered some sellotape over one end.

We are looking now, and it is looking as though it has possibly been opened with a really sharp knife, along one of the seams on one side???? and then a piece of sellotape put over it.

Yes, definitely, sneaky. Still would like to know how they valued it.:rolleyes:

Yeah Im wondering this too. I though it was wrong when he said this because there is no way to guarentee that I wont be hit by customs. The seller is very nice but I just dont get why he put this :

"Kindly note, I will not charge any fee for handling (i.e., customs
paperwork, etc.)."

so did this mean by the seller saying this that there would be no customs fees ?...Im really confused

I'm pretty sure that he meant that he doesn't charge customers a handling fee for doing the paperwork for customs etc.

Not that he can guarantee that you will not be charged by UK customs - which he obviously can't.