OMG I hope this hasnt happened :(

venetiawanter - yes USPS are different, actually I can't say I ever had a problem with them in UK - this must be new developments, as of 2007. here in germany I only started paying customs since the beginning of the year, before then gift always went through.
the other thing is if you sent registered/insured/tracking etc - I got the impression that those are checked? but maybe wrong. I always sent insured now to avoid ebay trouble... gotta cost somewhere.

I posted on a few other forums - It took over 5 weeks for me to get an item from Germany so have ALOT of patience! It went through customs & I had to pay (which I expected).

Can Australian customs be slapped too? I just paid over $400-00 in fees to get a pair of shoes 'released'. I bought them from the U.S and they were $80-00 over the $1000 limit. Oh and marking them as a gift doesn't mean a damn here. *Slaps Australian customs*

Can Australian customs be slapped too? I just paid over $400-00 in fees to get a pair of shoes 'released'. I bought them from the U.S and they were $80-00 over the $1000 limit. Oh and marking them as a gift doesn't mean a damn here. *Slaps Australian customs*

I am not too sure.

I do know that it is ridiculous now with the EU. For travel within the EU there is now no duty free, but, the amount of gifts which can be brought into UK is still a ridiculously low figure, so are more than likely for duty anyway.

I think we are due a budget ~ and no doubt Duty will go up more than taxes etc. will come down.

I am still hoping to end my days on a "hot & sunny duty free island", a long way from here. :wlae: Well, not a long way, but far enough.:yes:

Just a thought!

I have several friends in the US and we often exchange gifts etc. On customs forms I normally would put gift and nil value. Touch wood, none of us have had to pay anything.

However, one friend in the US was interested in a Plug In which works in Paint Shop/Photo Shop etc. It was a free file, downloadable, but she had a slow dial up, and asked me to put "Returning borrowed item" on the form.

I am wondering if you could use returning borrowed item and put a cost of the item, if that would be acceptable to get through customs.

I would never ask anybody I was buying from to put anything other than true figures on a customs form. I also wouldn't ask anyone to tick the gift box.

I was a little surprised when she asked me to do it, I did, but, up until this request I had never given a thought to customs charges. :cursing:

I have to add though, that anything I buy from one supplier, is always marked gifts!! They are sometimes wrapped in gift wrapping with happy birthday on. The first time, I thought they had shipped the wrong thing.

What would you do about paypal...would you file an "item not recieved" until it comes ??. Thanks

Does it look like it has arrived in this country, or is it in Foreign Customs.

The one I had to pay money on, seemed to take an age to turn up, I will go and have a look at the paperwork and give you dates if you like.

BRB:graucho:

heres what it says on Details at USPS

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Into Foreign Customs GREAT BRITAIN 03/16/07 3:07pm

Arrived Abroad GREAT BRITAIN 03/16/07 3:04pm

International Dispatch SAN FRANCISCO 03/07/07 2:49pm

Acceptance BOZEMAN 03/05/07 2:26pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To~date I have only ordered 1 item from the US to me in the UK.

In total. I paid £35.00 for the item (inc shipping).

After about a week, I get a letter from ParcelForce, saying there was an item awaiting delivery in customs, but needed payment first. The total was £37.50????

I paid the money, received the item.

Customs form. Filled out correctly, ticked as gift (which incidentally allows for a larger charge no customs up to £36 for gifts).

There was NO obvious sign of entry into this package, and I am at a loss to understand how customs came to the conclusion that I was due to pay £37.50 for an item which didn't cost that much in the first place.

I am currently waiting for a bigger item from the US, and you can imagine,I am awaiting this with interest.

I am going to appeal against the £37.50, in fact, I need to do that today.

I sincerely hope that it doesn't happen to anyone, but, I wouldn't like to keep my own experience to myself, because it isn't fair of me to do so.

I am wondering whether they are a little more vigilant, because the low $ is making things a bit more tempting than maybe they would be.

I think they are...I would definately appeal, I cant see how they can charge you more customs than the item cost! Have you got a breakdown of the fees?

It was posted on Feb 5th, arrived at the Customs (Parcelforce) people Feb 11th, paperwork from Parcelforce regarding charge dated Feb 13th.

The PF website was down on the 13th, and it was late on the 14th before I managed to make the payment.

I could have had it delivered on the Saturday :cursing: for an additional £12.00.

It was therefore delivered on the Monday, I wasn't going to give them any more money which I felt they were not entitled to take it from me in the first place.

But hey, we live and learn.

If my expectant parcel costs me additional, not a problem, because I am expecting it!!!

You know it would be cheaper to go on a weekend trip to Milan and shop, I bet it would be a site cheaper than paying customs. :idea: And a great deal more fun!:nuts: