Ok...now I'm REALLY banned from LV

Ummm, I dont mean to sound disrespectful to your Dad, buy whos money is it? Yours? The money from YOUR salary? I would NEVER, EVER think of doing that to my daughter (shes 24). As long as she pays her cell bill and gas bill, the money is all hers. (I pay her car payment and car insurance) I DO require her to put $200 from each and every paycheck and bonus checks into her savings...HER savings. Shes been doing that since she was 18 or 19 and now at 24 she has saved well over $10,000.00..but I digress, I would have a heart to heart with Dad and let him know you allocated that money for other things....I personally dont agree with dads decision about YOUR money.

Yeah, I know what you mean, and you pretty much have the same viewpoint as my boyfriend too...yes, it's my money, and yes I've made it clear before. But my parents, being Asian (and picky Chinese!) want me to save, save, save. Trust me, in our culture, especially more traditional parents (which mine are...although they are somewhat westernized too) have more control over their kids than parents here do. I'm not making that sound like the kids here in USA/Canada are left alone to do whatever they want, but I'm just saying that sometimes kids here have more freedom. I come from a traditional family, and therefore I have to take the consequences.

As for the savings...I think it's because ever since I got a job two years ago, I've been saving up like crazy. I'm 18 now and I have close to $20,000 in my total savings...so my dad wants that number to grow even more so I'll be better off when I finish University.

It makes a whole lot of sense, but I just wish that I could have a *little* more financial freedom. But I can't complain too much, I guess...because in the mean time my parents pay for a lot of my other stuff, ie. textbooks at school, necessities, my new parking pass (whopping $70 per month at the University), etc...that's partially because my tuition is all paid for in scholarships, and that is also the reason why I would like to buy a new LV.

And yes, arnott, so far, most of my LV bags/accessories have been from eBay. I think, it's the only way an 18-year old working a part time job can afford so much LV without her parent's help.

You guys will laugh at the kind of things I get from Christmas. I know it's the thought that counts, but compared to a lot of you, I get nothing.

I'll be patient, thanks for all the support :smile: It'll make my new Speedy even more special since I'll be working hard to save up for it...and meanwhile I'll just drool over all of your purchases. ;) :love:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and you pretty much have the same viewpoint as my boyfriend too...yes, it's my money, and yes I've made it clear before. But my parents, being Asian (and picky Chinese!) want me to save, save, save. Trust me, in our culture, especially more traditional parents (which mine are...although they are somewhat westernized too) have more control over their kids than parents here do. I'm not making that sound like the kids here in USA/Canada are left alone to do whatever they want, but I'm just saying that sometimes kids here have more freedom. I come from a traditional family, and therefore I have to take the consequences.

As for the savings...I think it's because ever since I got a job two years ago, I've been saving up like crazy. I'm 18 now and I have close to $20,000 in my total savings...so my dad wants that number to grow even more so I'll be better off when I finish University.

You guys will laugh at the kind of things I get from Christmas. I know it's the thought that counts, but compared to a lot of you, I get nothing.

I'll be patient, thanks for all the support :smile: It'll make my new Speedy even more special since I'll be working hard to save up for it...and meanwhile I'll just drool over all of your purchases. ;) :love:

I know what you're going through.. I'm Chinese too and I've got the parents who always like to save for the 'just in case' moments. So yep, I've been geting lectured right and left. However, I'm no longer in school and I make my own money, so they can't really do much (plus they have no control over my funds) except nag. But it's really coming from a good place.. they're only worried about your future. The Speedy Mono will always be there, and maybe your bf will get you that for Christmas! My BF gave me my first LV for Christmas. LOL.. I don't really get Christmas presents in my family, so you are DEFINATELY not alone there.

well honestly, it's not too bad.. there's always the end of the year to look forward too.. I'm on a bag ban right now too, until next year. I can understand where your dad is coming from, I wish I had someone to do that to me. I would be PISSED about it, but later on, I would understand that it would be for my own good (of course you can always tell me that I'm talking out of my *ss) but from a bystander viewpoint, he's just doing what he thinks is best for you. My sister asked me the other day, "what if something happens and you have to evacuate your home, what will you do?? Grab a bunch of bags??" As much as I want to tell her to shove it, she's right. Which is why I'm trying to push all the bags I want out of my head (And believe me, it's a LONG list).
Maybe just take this time to enjoy the bags you've accumulated so far?

you're not alone karman! just think that you should take this time to enjoy all the LVs that you just bought for yourself. :yes:

i only have 1 LV and 1 Dior but sigh i am on a bag ban too... i need to save money for grad school. :crybaby: but it's ok, i will be able to get my next bag IF i get some sorta financial aid and have some money leftover. :graucho:

I think your dad is doing a good thing. Finish school, get a good paying job, then focus on buying lv like crazy. It will always be around.

Good news is if I manage to survive through Engineering until third year, there is an internship program that almost 85% go to (those who don't are by personal choice...pretty much if you apply, tons of companies here will want you to work for them) and I've heard that the minimum salary is $1700 per month. Not bad for a student! And I will be working there for 8-16 consecutive months...So my plan is...buy a new LV every two months :graucho:

I forgot to explain one thing...my bank account is joint to my parents because I've had it since I was 6 years old. Once I turn 19 (next June), I'm qualified to enroll in Student banking, so my account will be totally separate from my parents.

Hi Karman,
I think it is good to have a savings account. And the difficult part is leaving it in there knowing you've got it. Trust me, I know. :crybaby: lol
And I always have LV purse on my mind and lately its been a LV Damier speedy on my mind - and cash is pretty much the best way to buy things. No interest to pay back - and the satisfaction you worked hard for it to enjoy it. And I'm so happy you bought many LV purses to get you through until you can go to Holt Renfrew! I've calculated if I saved from September 1, 2006 - March 31, 2007, there is 16 pay periods for me, and if I saved 75.00 bi-weekly for the next 6 months, I know this is a lot, but seriously, this amount could easily be spent on miscellaneous items that I wouldn't need. So that is what I tell myself, I'm saving for a reason. For my Speedy, or Petit Noe, or Two Speedys or a Speedy with matching wallet.

So it's possible. Its just the waiting part that is sad. You can do it! :yes:

It makes a whole lot of sense, but I just wish that I could have a *little* more financial freedom. But I can't complain too much, I guess...because in the mean time my parents pay for a lot of my other stuff, ie. textbooks at school, necessities, my new parking pass (whopping $70 per month at the University), etc...that's partially because my tuition is all paid for in scholarships, and that is also the reason why I would like to buy a new LV.

And yes, arnott, so far, most of my LV bags/accessories have been from eBay. I think, it's the only way an 18-year old working a part time job can afford so much LV without her parent's help.

Even though it is your money, your parents are really looking out for your best interest! I had help with tuition but NOTHING else, worked full time through college (and worked since I'm 14). With everything I had to pay for I still managed to save about $15,000. It took me longer to get through college because I worked full time, but when it was all said and done, it really worked out great. I had NO debt and was able to buy a house (which I'm soooo thankful for because this was 7 years ago, before housing prices went absolutely crazy). I have friends that still have large loans and can't even think about buying a house, especially since everything is so expensive now! These are really the important things in life to focus on at your age, the bags will always be there, and you know you'll get what you want, you just may have to wait a bit.......

After seeing how much you have saved, it makes me wanna save too! So, I am getting my bag on Wednesday so it will be my first and only one for a while so that I can start saving up for my move back home to California! :yahoo:

Your story is quite inspirational actually! I am Vietnamese and my parents are quite strict too until I moved out and things started to change. At least you were able to get some LV's over the summer for you to enjoy. I wish I had that much saved.

Your story motivates me to buy my last bag:shame: and start saving for my trip to Malaysia this summer and for a house.

I'm Chinese, so I know what the strictness of really chinese parents are like. But don't forget what comes after Christmas. Chinese New Years!!! So if christmas is gonna a bummer for you, I hope new years is better for you!!!

Karman, consider yourself lucky that your parents are looking out for your best interests and paying for all your school stuff. I have to pay my own school fees, books, general expenses AND I have to give my parents money :crybaby: (My parents have this philosophy that once you start working, you should start contributing to the household).

I think if my parents paid for everything, I could afford more LVs during the year :lol: :angel:

im chinese and 18 yrs old too! all chinese family's like saving saving and saving.they say to save in case we need it.my mum used to buy me luxury bags but since i can work on sat n sun,they dont buy me at all.but now im getting used to it..so for my university fees,im gonna pay by my own too bcuz my sister who studies in japan also do the part time job,pay for her studies, and bags.My parents say they want to teach us,to make us learn how to use money wisely and take responsible of urself. (but u know,im a bit lucky that if i REALLY really want a bag,but i dont have money left at all...she'll buy it). So yes..i think i understand how u feel.and im sure...parents always think about their kids' future.......! but u r 18 yr old.mayb u can talk to ur dad again? and let u decide for ur own good. :smile:

Karman, consider yourself lucky that your parents are looking out for your best interests and paying for all your school stuff. I have to pay my own school fees, books, general expenses AND I have to give my parents money :crybaby: (My parents have this philosophy that once you start working, you should start contributing to the household).

I think if my parents paid for everything, I could afford more LVs during the year :lol: :angel:

Yeah, my parents pay for a lot of things, but that's because of a $30,000 scholarship that I've received. That pays for EVERYTHING but my parents are in charge of the funds. They also bought an RESP for me...so that's extra money too...

And trust me, once I get a fulltime job, I'll have to pay my parents too. And I will, and would like to :smile: