Ode to Kelly Sellier Mini (Kelly Mini II)

I received a surprising call this afternoon from my SA informing me that a MK in box with PHW had come in and if I wanted to take a look. She said they're quite rare and hardly even come in in box leather - I did mention to hear at some point that I would've loved one - it's reserved for me and will go have a look at it on Thursday.

Though, as much as I was craving for one, especially with GHW - I'm torn with Box leather, I have a love-hate relationship with it. Those of you ladies who own one, how does it wear? I know it scratches easily compared to Epsom or Chevre. Price-wise, is more than other leathers?

xx
Congrats on your offer, very exciting! I personally would not hesitate, but I have a preference for smooth leathers in general. My box bags cost considerably more than my Epsom/Togo bags (well, around 20% more in €). I don’t use any box bag as a daily bag and try to avoid using them when it rains (which happens quite often where I am located). Hence, I cannot comment on how box evolves with daily use. I have owned vintage box bags that had developed a wonderful patina and slight scratches either disappeared with time or got treated by the H spa. Deep scratches (and dry cracks - box leather needs a bit of love and care every other year) cannot be buffed out, but they hardly ever bothered me. I have seen box bags that looked horrible on the preloved market and obviously were abused and/or the leather had never been nourished. I wouldn’t say it’s the most complicated, sensitive leather, but it will show signs of wear depending on how you use the bag. To me, when treated well, I don’t think box bags look beaten up quickly. I know some members (@QuelleFromage for help) do have a box Mini Kelly and can maybe comment on the wear especially around the clasp given the bag seems a bit harder to open/close than the larger sizes.
Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
I received a surprising call this afternoon from my SA informing me that a MK in box with PHW had come in and if I wanted to take a look. She said they're quite rare and hardly even come in in box leather - I did mention to hear at some point that I would've loved one - it's reserved for me and will go have a look at it on Thursday.

Though, as much as I was craving for one, especially with GHW - I'm torn with Box leather, I have a love-hate relationship with it. Those of you ladies who own one, how does it wear? I know it scratches easily compared to Epsom or Chevre. Price-wise, is more than other leathers?

xx
I was offered a mini Kelly in box with GHW earlier this year. The bag is stunning but it is very hard to get in and out of, more so than my K25's. I love smooth leathers and scratches do not bother me. Given the pandemic I have not had much of an opportunity to use her but I am glad I have her. I personally would take the bag but if you are unsure, I am sure you will be offered another mini Kelly if you are being offered a box leather one now. I plan to mainly use mine as an evening bag, as I think the sheen of box lends itself nicely to nighttime in a small size bag. Good luck with your decision.

xx

I own a Box K25. It is a very firm leather and harder to get in and out of than even Epsom (i have found). The leather is definitely more delicate in that scratches do show up and you do not want to get caught in the rain with it because it blisters.

I own mini kelly in epsom and it is a bit stiff, and I have heard even more stiff in box.

However, I would say that MK in box PHW is absolutely beautiful and very special. If you do not have other small black bags, and you have space for a special little mini K then this could be the one.If you prefer another colour for mini K and are confident you can get another offer, then you can wait.

It costs more than other leathers by circa 20%.

xx
This sounds so dreamy. I would have loved this one. FWIW, the casaque epsom mini also has the same price so if you don’t have a box and are wanting one, this would be perfect.

Reactions: heifer

xx

It's usually either love to hate with Box leather for different people, certainly you wouldn't have to convince me. I have 6 Box leather bags and love them all. You can always spa Box, with so many decades old bags around gives testimony to its longevity and style appeal, a formal look that no other bag does. With a K just double the formal. With a small K, triple it.

Don't get it if you're not sure, there will be someone in the queue right behind you who will love it.

Congrats on the offer! I have a B25 in anemone/permabrass and in my opinion, is very neutral! I also only have 1 mini K in chevre so I don't have an apples to apples comparison between a chevre and an epsom in a mini K, but I'd grab a chevre anytime offered.
Wow @odette57, your B25 sounds beautiful. And how has your mini K chèvre held up? How many years have you had her?

Hi I hope you are having a great start to the year. I'm here to share my latest Kelly. She's a mini Kelly 20, chèvre chamkila anemone, PBHW. The PBHW with anemone gives the hardware reflection a rose gold tint. So being a lover of RGHW, I am pleasantly surprised.

The chevre chamkila is very saturated and glistens. It appears darker in chevre than epsom. I also have a bag in Chevre chandra. Comparing the two, Chamkila looks very luxurious because of the sparkle and sheen. I highly recommend it! The chevre is stiff and feels firm, but not as firm as epsom. I'm glad to have the mini Kelly in Chevre leather because the epsom would be quite difficult to open as the bag is so tiny. I'll give more updates as I have more time to carry her out.

Thank you for allowing me to share.

@odette57 , @Rhl2987 Here she is the little beauty

Kelly mini II anemone.JPG

Last edited:
Hi I hope you are having a great start to the year. I'm here to share my latest Kelly. She's a mini Kelly 20, chèvre chamkila anemone, PBHW. The PBHW with anemone gives the hardware reflection a rose gold tint. So being a lover of RGHW, I am pleasantly surprised.

The chevre chamkila is very saturated and glistens. It appears darker in chevre than epsom. I also have a bag in Chevre chandra. Comparing the two, Chamkila looks very luxurious because of the sparkle and sheen. I highly recommend it! The chevre is stiff and feels firm, but not as firm as epsom. I'm glad to have the mini Kelly in Chevre leather because the epsom would be quite difficult to open as the bag is so tiny. I'll give more updates as I have more time to carry her out.

Wow!!! Stunning !!!

Reactions: Loveandlight

View attachment 5291055
Very beautiful! The saturated color is beyond luxurious! Congrats on this catch, enjoy!:heart: