ODE to Box Calf

Got my first kelly today!!!!!!! 20 years old and pristine and so so special as this year is my 20th wedding anniversary :smile:
I debated back and forth about sellier vs retourne and if I wanted box and am so very happy with this combo. The box with gold hardware is just soooo divine.
Gorgeous! Congrats and happy anniversary!

Reactions: marzipanchen
Got my first kelly today!!!!!!! 20 years old and pristine and so so special as this year is my 20th wedding anniversary :smile:
I debated back and forth about sellier vs retourne and if I wanted box and am so very happy with this combo. The box with gold hardware is just soooo divine.
Box leather is one that gets better and better as it ages, how apt as a memorabilia to commemorate your wedding anniversary

Dear all, help - would you take a box bag as your only bag for a trip in a quite mixed climate i.e. probability for rain each day 60% when you know you will spend time outside sightseeing and probably not being able to keep the bag completely from rain? Other option is my barenia bag which is of course worry free but the box one would be a perfect match to most of my outfits…. My box has not been treated in any way and is rather new so I am a bit nervous still for this one.

Which, to be honest, bothers me as I want to use the bag with out thinking too much as I do with all my other bags. But I also do not want to kill it off wittingly.

Any opinions appreciated!

Dear all, help - would you take a box bag as your only bag for a trip in a quite mixed climate i.e. probability for rain each day 60% when you know you will spend time outside sightseeing and probably not being able to keep the bag completely from rain? Other option is my barenia bag which is of course worry free but the box one would be a perfect match to most of my outfits…. My box has not been treated in any way and is rather new so I am a bit nervous still for this one.

Which, to be honest, bothers me as I want to use the bag with out thinking too much as I do with all my other bags. But I also do not want to kill it off wittingly.

that's a tough one as I just got my 1st box birkin as well (but mine is vintage not brand new).. even so, I prob would NOT take it in this situation b/c the rain would worry me too much even though mine already has some wear.. yours being new concerns me a bit but it's all in our personal comfort zone. I think on most days, you can use it without thinking but for traveling with weather concerns & no back up bag, I personally wouldn't.. if you think you will be able to enjoy it there without it stressing you out, go for it!

Reactions: cecchetti

Hmm personally that would give me so much anxiety lol. That being said I hear you about minimal packing and it matching with your outfits! what about putting a small packable water resistant bag in your box bag? That way when you’re out and about exploring you and it rains, you can put in that little tote bag.

I read in some old posts about envirosax. They look like they have some cute designs. I mean they’re not “Hermes cute” lol but cute enough for traveling.

⬆️ I would go anywhere with my Box bag (where appropriate and esp if it matches outfits, I'm all for matchy matchy!) and a water resistant foldable bag. Almost all of my bags have an Envirosax inside, unless it's a clutch or really too tiny. The Box enthusiasts will just tell you to carry it in rain, snow, sun and surf, but I understand your concerns as I baby all my things. (For me the foldable bag also does double duty for any emergency Baguette purchases in Paris) Enjoy your trip!!
PS in case you were wondering. I have vintage and new Box bags and all are babied equally. :smile:

⬆️ I would go anywhere with my Box bag (where appropriate and esp if it matches outfits, I'm all for matchy matchy!) and a water resistant foldable bag. Almost all of my bags have an Envirosax inside, unless it's a clutch or really too tiny. The Box enthusiasts will just tell you to carry it in rain, snow, sun and surf, but I understand your concerns as I baby all my things. (For me the foldable bag also does double duty for any emergency Baguette purchases in Paris) Enjoy your trip!!
PS in case you were wondering. I have vintage and new Box bags and all are babied equally. :smile:
@periogirl28 emergency baguette purchases in Paris is the best reason for the envirosax, only seconded by emergency croissants 🤣🤣.

@Goldenbelle the people have spoken, now you have to bring your box bag with you 😉. Safe travels and looking forward to seeing “Your Hermes In action!”

I wore my box bag in Paris, while sudden short rain started, I covered it a bit, but there were several drops of water over it, I wiped it, but unfortunately some blisters appeared. I went directly to Hermes to their repair department and I was told that this can not be repaired and the damage was permanent. They brushed it a bit, but it didn’t help.
So I wouldn’t recommend to wear it!

In the circumstances you describe I would advise leaving the box bag at home.
As one who maintains that box is more resilient than many would have us believe, I think you would be anxious all the time and that would spoil both your ability to enjoy the trip and the bag.
The bag is new and has not built up any protective patina; a rainy climate is not ideal for box.
Use the barenia with which you have confidence and enjoy your trip.

Reactions: Goldenbelle
Thank you all for your kind and valuable opinions! I think in will actually leave it at home and slowly break it in and learn how it reacts to different weathers and temperatures. And get one of the environsax, thanks for the great suggestion!

It would just be the perfect fit for all occasions and outfits and I hate to carry more bags with me on trips than one. Which I unfortunately have to do with the barenia, as much as I love this one. Sigh. Luxury problems, really.

But, on the bright side: I am so happy I got this box bag as I can literally wear it with 90% of my wardrobe and I love to be able to just grab my bag and be done. Just maybe not yet in a wet climate 😂