Odd leather smell

My birkin has this smell and it has been "aired out" since this past March when I bought her. STILL SAME SMELL =(
So this will explain why it was not nearly as offensive out of the box! I left the Ulysse next to a sunlit window, and this must have caused the smell to be more pronounced.

I simply can't imagine the entire bag with this issue, let alone such a grand acquisition as a Birkin.

Nico!!!! My Soufre Birkin has the same smell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I posted in Docrides thread about 2 months ago to see what she thought bc I'm so sad about this problem. It only smells when it gets hot... like if it is sitting in my car, on the seat in the sun... or on a hot day... or in a really heated room. I bought the bag Last March so it was cold. I never discovered the smell until this summer =( Nothing I have done has helped to rid the smell. I have decided I will live with it as I can't bare to think of what H would say to me if I brought the bag in. Please tell me what your SA says about this. Maybe then I will have the courage to speak up too.

Oh no! I will definitely ask my SA. I hope there is something that can be done, it sounds like heat is the cause. I have only noticed this when it becomes quite warm, otherwise in cool temperature there is no smell. I wonder if it's to do with the glue or dye they used? I have left mine out too, but it does not seem to help. I will let you know as soon as I hear an answer dear. Here's hoping it's an easy solution to our worries.

If it smells like a skunk, its the specific hide H got from specific farm?? Two weeks ago, my DH has heard from one of the SA in Paris that they are expanding the atelier, or number of, and they will be able to produce more of the popular items. He was also told that only one person is in charge of importing the leather into the ateliers ( I really don't know if its true, thats what this SA told my DH ) like in terms of quality control. If this is true, maybe H is expanding too quickly??

Can't comment on the skunk smell but my last two bags bought in Hermes stores have an overpowering smell of perfume.

The first an etoupe Pico bought in Europe 3 1/2 years ago still has a strong smell and it's been airing in the sunroom since I brought it home. The other a Double Sens bought early this summer is airing in the sunroom alongside.

I thought they had accidentally picking up a spray of perfume in the stores.

Well, I went to my boutique today to finally deal with this odor issue once and for all. I really think my SA and SM think I'm crazy. The problem is that it is cold in DC right now and the smell is not obvious in the cold. It is extremely offensive in the heat. Why did I wait so long to take it in? Well, I purchased the bag in April.... and it wasn't hot then. It wasn't hot until July actually. I think I first noticed the smell in July/August? I thought "WTF is that smell...did I do something... did I set the bag in something stinky?" I was actually wiping the bag down with a damp cloth, inside and out... never stopped wearing it bc I felt like it needed to be "aired out" as much as possible. I was just praying the smell would go away, eventually. I knew if I took the bag to the boutique, they would send it away and I just couldn't deal with that at the time. But enough is enough. My SM did admit that there have been known issues with the smell in "other leathers" but not in Epsom (which is what my bag is). He did not specify which leathers but my immediate thought is that all of the bags I know of that have this issue (2 others), they are lined in Chevre. I'm not sure why he would say that since I HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN by making this complaint. I'm confused.

Sooooo, the bag is off to Paris. My SA wrote "Skunk Smell" in the description of the issue. I hope Paris takes this seriously bc the last thing I want is them to not smell anything and just send it back to me after months of separation. Does anyone have any experience with sending bags back to Paris? Does the SM send a more thorough description or call them?

It's no secret that I'm madly in love with my little Jewel. I hope this can be fixed. :nogood: I get the impression that this is going to be a long saga for me.

Last edited:
If it smells like a skunk, its the specific hide H got from specific farm?? Two weeks ago, my DH has heard from one of the SA in Paris that they are expanding the atelier, or number of, and they will be able to produce more of the popular items. He was also told that only one person is in charge of importing the leather into the ateliers ( I really don't know if its true, thats what this SA told my DH ) like in terms of quality control. If this is true, maybe H is expanding too quickly??

I have no idea about any of this. All I know is the smell is obnoxious when the weather is warm and could suffocate someone if there are no windows to roll down!!!! What in the world could cause that sort of smell in a hide... the tannery chemicals???? I'm not sure about leather processing, just love wearing it :P

Well, I went to my boutique today to finally deal with this odor issue once and for all. I really think my SA and SM think I'm crazy. The problem is that it is cold in DC right now and the smell is not obvious in the cold. It is extremely offensive in the heat. Why did I wait so long to take it in? Well, I purchased the bag in April.... and it wasn't hot then. It wasn't hot until July actually. I think I first noticed the smell in July/August? I thought "WTF is that smell...did I do something... did I set the bag in something stinky?" I was actually wiping the bag down with a damp cloth, inside and out... never stopped wearing it bc I felt like it needed to be "aired out" as much as possible. I was just praying the smell would go away, eventually. I knew if I took the bag to the boutique, they would send it away and I just couldn't deal with that at the time. But enough is enough. My SM did admit that there have been known issues with the smell in "other leathers" but not in Epsom (which is what my bag is). He did not specify which leathers but my immediate thought is that all of the bags I know of that have this issue (2 others), they are lined in Chevre. I'm not sure why he would say that since I HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN by making this complaint. I'm confused.

Sooooo, the bag is off to Paris. My SA wrote "Skunk Smell" in the description of the issue. I hope Paris takes this seriously bc the last thing I want is them to not smell anything and just send it back to me after months of separation. Does anyone have any experience with sending bags back to Paris? Does the SM send a more thorough description or call them?

It's no secret that I'm madly in love with my little Jewel. I hope this can be fixed. :nogood: I get the impression that this is going to be a long saga for me.
Hi! Sorry to hear about your ordeal! Must be very frustrating to deal with this ESP when it's such an expensive H bag! I was wondering if you have an acute sense of smell & do you display your bags or store them in dustbags when not in used?

I just bought 2 Ks - one in Togo black, the other red Epsom sellier. Both were bought in Hawaii, Honolulu, where it's very hot & sunny! Was there for 2 weeks including Maui. But I don't remember smelling anything & I have hand carried the 2 Ks ( in their dustbags) in my longchamp bag. After reading this thread, I literally ran to my bags to sniff at them lol. There is a leather smell on both but I can only smell it if I put my nose on the bags, if I moved only a couple of inches away, I can't smell anything. My bags have been kept in their dustbags in an enclosed bedroom though.

I can understand how you feel cos I once bought a vintage Chanel flap & it stinks so badly, I don't even want to touch it & returned it back to the seller on the same day. Was it really that bad? Can't imagine H having such poor quality control & still selling bags that smells?!

Hi! Sorry to hear about your ordeal! Must be very frustrating to deal with this ESP when it's such an expensive H bag! I was wondering if you have an acute sense of smell & do you display your bags or store them in dustbags when not in used?

I just bought 2 Ks - one in Togo black, the other red Epsom sellier. Both were bought in Hawaii, Honolulu, where it's very hot & sunny! Was there for 2 weeks including Maui. But I don't remember smelling anything & I have hand carried the 2 Ks ( in their dustbags) in my longchamp bag. After reading this thread, I literally ran to my bags to sniff at them lol. There is a leather smell on both but I can only smell it if I put my nose on the bags, if I moved only a couple of inches away, I can't smell anything. My bags have been kept in their dustbags in an enclosed bedroom though.

I can understand how you feel cos I once bought a vintage Chanel flap & it stinks so badly, I don't even want to touch it & returned it back to the seller on the same day. Was it really that bad? Can't imagine H having such poor quality control & still selling bags that smells?!

You'd know if you had this issue by now carrying the bags in a warm climate. It requires no sniffing up close! This summer, it smelled so bad I was sooooo embarrassed to carry the bag in the mall. It reeked. If I put my bag on the front seat of my SUV, in the sun, I would literally have to roll the windows down after a few minutes... the bag would reek that badly! Now that I am writing all these posts about it, I have NO IDEA why I waited so long to deal with this. I'm such a fool.

You'd know if you had this issue by now carrying the bags in a warm climate. It requires no sniffing up close! This summer, it smelled so bad I was sooooo embarrassed to carry the bag in the mall. It reeked. If I put my bag on the front seat of my SUV, in the sun, I would literally have to roll the windows down after a few minutes... the bag would reek that badly! Now that I am writing all these posts about it, I have NO IDEA why I waited so long to deal with this. I'm such a fool.
Goodness! That's terrible! I really hope the H craftsmen can do something for you. It's totally unacceptable imo to have a H bag that stinks.

So my etain Kelly is making a trip to Paris. The skunk smell is not unknown issue so I urge anyone to bring their items in if there is a smell.

I hope they can remedy the situation and get your gorgeous kelly back to you quickly! If H is aware of the issue, do they know the cause of the offensive odor??

I hope they can remedy the situation and get your gorgeous kelly back to you quickly! If H is aware of the issue, do they know the cause of the offensive odor??

Thanks dear. I hope they will replace her since the smell is coming from the leather itself. My SA said it could be a bad batch of leather that was used during production of some bags. I am not sure what the temperature is when they do the quality control, but it's only noticeable during warm temperatures. I'm a little bummed, but I am happy they are going to do something about it. Thank goodness my other bags do not have this smell!