NO CHAT in the reference threads, PLEASE!!!

baglady39

L E G A C Y
O.G.
Sep 15, 2007
Hey guys!

Hope all of you are having a GREAT weekend!! :jammin:

Can y'all please help us out by making sure you don't post comments in our "no chat" threads, especially the reference threads?? As of late, we are seeing a LOT of chatting from both new and old members, and it takes time to clean all this up. Basically threads like the ones in the reference library, Ebay deals, etc. are for reference only, and there should be no chatting. If you're uncertain, please be sure to check out the original post on each thread to see if it's supposed to be chat free before posting your own comments.

Thanks so much, guys!! :hugs:

baglady39 I have a question specifically regarding the ebay/deals thread. Sometimes the deals that are posted aren't very good, like if the seller is not a good seller or the auction's pics might be stolen from another seller. Are we allowed to "chat" then? I'd hate to see someone get swindled!

(I figured others might wonder this too which is why I didn't send a PM)

^^This is a great question!

If there is anything RELEVANT to the posted deal, then please post it. If the ebay item needs to be removed, please PM one of us, or hit the report post so that the post can be deleted. The problem is most people don't bother to read all the posts and may not see the clues anyway, kwim?? We see this happen all the time on most threads here because people post over each other when answering questions, etc. So if it's something bad, then the deal needs to be removed. Also, if you need something added to the original post that is relevant to the auction, you can also ask one of us to edit it and add it. I just don't want people to only see the first post, not dig deeper to other posts, and then bid on something and either get scammed or even disappointed. As for whether it's really a "deal" pricewise, that is up to the individual as to what he/she is willing to pay or what is a good deal...that's subjective sometimes. So we would not delete a post just because someone thinks the price is high, for ex.

Otherwise, in general, we don't need the "wow, love this", or "wow, I have this", or "wow, that's a high price", etc... That's what we are referring to as chat.

Also, please do not argue with each other, as this creates drama on the thread, and also dilutes it where people have to sift through to find the actual relevant posts. This is why sometimes it's best to let one of us know so that we can edit the original posting, like if pics need to be requested from the seller, or the seller is not a good one. Of course, unless it can be added right below the post and it's easily visible. The problem is it gets confusing when people post the same response multiple times and then argue back and forth, kwim??

Just use your best judgment, though, of course, and let us know if we need to step in at any time. :yes:

Maybe we should have a "chat about deals/steals thread" thread? Some of the other forums use this to discuss deals. I actually thought about starting one, but I figure it would be good to check first.

I wondered that too, I notice sometimes that some people post deals but they don't make sure the item has enough pictures, isn't damaged and I have even seen non authentic items being posted. I know they are just trying to help, but sometimes that does more harm that good.. KWIM? I'd hate for a TPFer to be scammed.

Maybe if people are reminded to make sure the item is authentic, there are enough pictures and really look at the item BEFORE posting that would help. I think sometimes we are in a rush to share a good deal with our coachies that we forget to check those simple facts.

^^Well, probably the best we can do on this score has already been posted in the first post on the actual deals thread, but the problem is people don't read/notice it. Also, in all honesty, some people should be authenticating the item before posting anything..unless they know for sure. They should post over in the auth thread if there is any question before posting, but we really can't censor that other than to ask everyone to report the post that contains any misinformation or fake item link and have one of us remove the post. At the end of the day, it's the end buyer's responsibility to authenticate the "deal" before and after purchase. There is no completely safe method, but that's why I would really like to see the actual post with the auction deal updated/edited rather than multiple people chiming in and arguing over this and that...most people probably don't read all of those posts that follow the initial link, and for sure may miss something! We would like to keep the deals thread as uncluttered and safe as possible, but we can only do so much unfortunately! And auth should still be reassessed after the buyer gets the bag as well (since pics are stolen, items are switched, etc). :yes: