Newsflash: Goldie...stripped search at JFK!!! YIKES!!!

Hey PPP,
you should go to COSTCO and get a "gear bag" and then put all your Hermes look in there. Customs would never search that. Congress raised the duty free limit to $800 for a family or an individual. How ridiculous, why just my new BJ Carmen Key ring from Salzburg costs more than that with the $ down!
Hope your Father is doing well.
susanvon
:heart:Hermes:heart:Wien

Hi Susanvon! Glad you had a nice trip! Yeah...we're taking a beating against the Euros and everything else! But that doesn't stop us from traveling and buying H...what recession? LOL!!!

Dad's doing wonderfully thank you! He's finishing rehab and will go home tomorrow to celebrate his 81st bday this Saturday! Siblings will be here to celebrate as well from Tx, Ca and NY. A little celebration of sorts I guess!

No Birkins this vacation to Europe in June...not a 5 five star vacation I am afraid! We're going to rough it using the LV! LOL!

Hi Susanvon! Glad you had a nice trip! Yeah...we're taking a beating against the Euros and everything else! But that doesn't stop us from traveling and buying H...what recession? LOL!!!

Dad's doing wonderfully thank you! He's finishing rehab and will go home tomorrow to celebrate his 81st bday this Saturday! Siblings will be here to celebrate as well from Tx, Ca and NY. A little celebration of sorts I guess!

No Birkins this vacation to Europe in June...not a 5 five star vacation I am afraid! We're going to rough it using the LV! LOL!

I travel very low key. I was robbed at the Dorchester Hotel and after that I carry a nylon Prada zipped large tote that is so old. I used it many years ago to carry my (long gone) dog to the vet.We have tiny dogs now. It's not attractive but very safe. My LV luggage is in storage. I will not use it but can't part with it. Yes, customs would go through all my luggage on return to the USA. We declare everything and my DH said, "no more LV luggage".
I'm so glad your dad is doing well. Sending Happy Birthday wishes his way!:flowers:

Hey PPP, Happy Birthday to your wonderful Father. Glad that he can be with his family on his day. Hope you all have a wonderful time together.
Where will you be going in Europe on your June trip?
Susan von

Wow, PP - what a story! Glad to hear that your dad is OK and that Ms Goldie survived being stripsearched!
If by any chance you get to Hungary during your trip to Europe, be sure to get in touch with me!

Wow, PP - what a story! Glad to hear that your dad is OK and that Ms Goldie survived being stripsearched!
If by any chance you get to Hungary during your trip to Europe, be sure to get in touch with me!

hello2703...thank your best wishes! And just want to tell you...Mrs. P and I loved Budapest! What a romantic lovely city! Would like to meet up with you one of these days...or perhaps when you visit the US!!! I must say...Mrs. P uses Goldie more often than the others, I guess its understatement appeal says a lot!...Mrs. P's hinting for more colors...YIKES!!!

Thanks Susanvon...Dad's doing great! He turned 81 Y/o today and still has spunk on him! Going out for dinner tonight to celebrate! I am so happy and full of spirits that he is back here with us now...I never miss a chance to tell him I love him!

Melliesmom...thank you...just a footnote: Mrs. P and I love your 25cm Birkin collection...Wow wow weeeee!!!!

im planning on visiting the states soon (washington, florida, and boston) begining with washington, i always travel with alot of brand-name handbags in my bags so is this checking of receipts for u.s citizens or for everyone? (i am from the middle east)..lol i NEVER keep my receipts!

im planning on visiting the states soon (washington, florida, and boston) begining with washington, i always travel with alot of brand-name handbags in my bags so is this checking of receipts for u.s citizens or for everyone? (i am from the middle east)..lol i NEVER keep my receipts!

For new merchandise, it is safer to bring receipt for US citizens...but for foreigner travellers, customs may be a bit more lenient. You should be fine...without the receipt but if you have it handy, why not just bring it with you. We keep the receipt in the pocket of the birkins all the time...it just stays there. Enjoy your vacation! I hope you find your black or brown ostrich birkin or kelly duting this vacation!

ppp! Welcome back and thank you for sharing your story!!! Actually I have one somewhat funny story to share that is some what similar. A family friend travelling with her dh when the custom stopped them and searched everything. They opened up their carryon and saw many jwelery and questioned them why they take so many with them. Probably thinking it was for commercial use. I guess the officer's tone was not very friendly (we are Asians and maybe she felt she was looked down upon), and finally after few rounds of questioning, she lost it and said "because we are rich" !!! The officer was so shock and they were let go without any trouble. meanwhile her dh was like, um... What were you thinking???? I don't know why it reminded me of that story... I think as the economy turn south, one will never know how other people will react to luxury items such as h. I read the other thread that someone called her not nice names because of the bag she was carrying. :tdown: not very nice... But it also taught me a valuable lesson: we understand each other and the passion we have for h; it is not for showing off, but we have a genuine interest and love for h. Unfortunately other people might not understand it and might give us a hard time about it. It is especially scary if that person has power to make us miserable!!!

But I am glad everything works out fine and that your dad is recovering nicely. I never had a close relationship with my father so it is always nice to hear other people's close relationship with their dads!!!

And big thanks to India for doing the research!!! I will def register my Kelly when I go to Ireland for christmas!!!

ppp! Welcome back and thank you for sharing your story!!! Actually I have one somewhat funny story to share that is some what similar. A family friend travelling with her dh when the custom stopped them and searched everything. They opened up their carryon and saw many jwelery and questioned them why they take so many with them. Probably thinking it was for commercial use. I guess the officer's tone was not very friendly (we are Asians and maybe she felt she was looked down upon), and finally after few rounds of questioning, she lost it and said "because we are rich" !!! The officer was so shock and they were let go without any trouble. meanwhile her dh was like, um... What were you thinking???? I don't know why it reminded me of that story... I think as the economy turn south, one will never know how other people will react to luxury items such as h. I read the other thread that someone called her not nice names because of the bag she was carrying. :tdown: not very nice... But it also taught me a valuable lesson: we understand each other and the passion we have for h; it is not for showing off, but we have a genuine interest and love for h. Unfortunately other people might not understand it and might give us a hard time about it. It is especially scary if that person has power to make us miserable!!!

But I am glad everything works out fine and that your dad is recovering nicely. I never had a close relationship with my father so it is always nice to hear other people's close relationship with their dads!!!

And big thanks to India for doing the research!!! I will def register my Kelly when I go to Ireland for christmas!!!

I love that remark...and she wasn't telling a fib either!!!

But your comment for the passion for H, the quality and exclusivity and color and the leather...this is what this forum is all about. I was actually just "looking" to see how I can get one for Mrs. P and now, I found people that share the same passion and excitement about a beautiful (although darn expensive) product line! Oh well...we're happy are we not?:yes:

So... wait... help me out here...

If you carry your bag (any designer bag) outside the country (e.g. from US to Europe), then on the way home, customs officials can demand to see the receipt for your bag? Because honestly I never carry receipts for my own belongings when I travel! Can they ask for "receipts" for my clothing, my luggage, and other items I am bringing? :confused1:

What a hassle! Though PP I am glad things worked out for you and Goldie! :yes:

:yes: I am very happy to have found a group of people who share the same interest without judging too!!! :hugs:

I too have to admit, aside from Mrs. P and her bags, scarves, belts, shoes and blouses...I, too, got into the belts, the ties, the wallets and the shoes...I love using the product. I use the belts and ties for important meetings...because give me a little push of confidence and happiness in my stride. (Or even with ripped jeans...those belts looks great don't they?)

Internally, I feel good using the product...something that's hard to explain as some people do not even know what H is! And perhaps that's why I like it...not like an LV monogram that's a bit loud and conspicuous...a stage I was stuck in a long time...sorry! but we still do enjoy LV...for the durability (not necessarily exclusivity) I must say...the old battle axe!!! we still use it for heavy duty travels...just my humble opinion...

So... wait... help me out here...

If you carry your bag (any designer bag) outside the country (e.g. from US to Europe), then on the way home, customs officials can demand to see the receipt for your bag? Because honestly I never carry receipts for my own belongings when I travel! Can they ask for "receipts" for my clothing, my luggage, and other items I am bringing? :confused1:

What a hassle! Though PP I am glad things worked out for you and Goldie! :yes:

Blue Genes...it's possible that they may or can inquire when they see something that's expensive nad looks relatively brand new...just be cool and collected and say.."Wall Street Hermes Boutique...call them"...I was really ready to say that but luckily enough, the real receipt was in the bag (there were at least 8 H receipts each in their little folder...I was sweating rummaging through for the correct one...Damn Mrs. P...what the hell! was what I was thinking!)...there was a posting before advising tPF member to do so...plus I know my luck trhough the immigration...not good I must say!

Totally agreed PPP! I have the keepall since university and I still love it for the weekend trip (though we haven't done that for awhile!!!) or short vacation. I don't have a lot of h, but every piece I treasure and love. Having said that, no harm getting more if finance allows!!! LOL

Blue Genes...it's possible that they may or can inquire when they see something that's expensive nad looks relatively brand new...just be cool and collected and say.."Wall Street Hermes Boutique...call them"...I was really ready to say that but luckily enough, the real receipt was in the bag (there were at least 8 H receipts each in their little folder...I was sweating rummaging through for the correct one...Damn Mrs. P...what the hell! was what I was thinking!)...there was a posting before advising tPF member to do so...plus I know my luck trhough the immigration...not good I must say!

Oh, you can say Wall Street H or whatever? Cool, and thanks! And I can understand why customs does that, but still... good to know! :yes: