Travel New TSA pat down policy?

I just read that. While it does sound invasive and they should inform everyone of how they're going to search them, that's just the price we pay for flying.

I have no problem getting searched, even if it's not something I'm completely comfortable with. I'm not hiding anything and I would much rather be safe than sorry.

I just read that. While it does sound invasive and they should inform everyone of how they're going to search them, that's just the price we pay for flying.

I have no problem getting searched, even if it's not something I'm completely comfortable with. I'm not hiding anything and I would much rather be safe than sorry.

I feel the same way. Would I prefer to arrive at the airport 20 minutes before my flight & just pop through security shoes & jacket on with a bottle of water in my hand? Yep.

Unfortunately, it's not that type of world anymore. I'd much rather be safe than sorry. The TSA officers aren't doing it to get their rocks off, they're doing it to keep passengers safe.

I just went through the pat down on my last trip. Didn't bother me, has to be done and I think the TSA agents dislike doing it as much or more than the passengers.

Also find annoying those passengers that don't want to go through the xray machines. Why? You think the agents are getting any pleasure from looking at your body through their xray scanner? Just amazed at some people.

Don't give the me the invasion of privacy agrument.

I came across a tweet for this story thing morning and was shocked! I knew the TSA had changed their standard pat down policy but I didn't know it went this far! I am SHOCKED! :wtf:
http://www.ourlittlechatterboxes.com/2010/11/tsa-sexual-assault.html
Makes me think twice about flying!
:nono: This story is just awful, t4p. I'm really scared of flying to the States now, I hope this is not a standard procedure. No way I would want a stranger touch my breasts and vagina area, that's disgusting.

I completely understand that they're trying to protect the passengers but this is absolutely unacceptable. I'm glad that woman contacted her lawyer.

No one touched my breasts or vagina and this was done at CDG not USA. Maybe there is not a universal approach to "the pat down."

I do worry about the radiation from the scanners w/ frequent flyers, might be small increase risk for skin cancer.

I don't like it, but it has to be done. As long as they do it properly and not taking advantage (I heard about TSA keeping pics from the body scanner) I'm okay with it. I cannot stop flying anyway, I have families all over the place.

Yeah, me too. They can do what they need to IMO when it comes to me.
If it makes the plane safer for us all to fly on, then so be it.
Chances are I'll never see those people again anyway. :amuse: I'd rather the scan myself over the full body search for preference.
I think on the news last night they said the pics cannot be saved or downloaded and the face is blocked out.....perfect.
I completely agree that the agents are probably not personally getting excited to do it...(ie examples above)..maybe it makes them uncomfortable too?/ Its not like they are all gropers out there waiting to cop a feel.

Otherwise..just don't fly. :smile:

Last edited:
I know! People seem to think the TSA agents enjoy it, but could you imagine having to pat down sweaty or smelly people?:sick:

ITA!
I wear cargo pants when traveling, so I'm pulled to the side a lot for searches..
They've never patted down my crotch area, but they've felt
along my chest..
I remember thinking how uncomfortable it most be for them to be doing this..
it was robotic, it didn't bother me..
but I know many people are more private then I am..

Calling that a sexual assault was just ridiculous - unpleasant, yes. It's offensive to victims of sexual assault, which has to do with power and violence. This women experienced neither. She could have walked away if it was that bad. She could have said stop. A victim if sexual assault does not have that ability. She chose not to end the pat down AND got on a plane later that week. That women does not need to fly - she and her baby can get in the car and avoid the searches that are now part of our collective experience if it was that bad. The fact that she called a lawyer is rather telling.

i think it's ridiculous when people make a big fuss about the body scanners and pat downs. if it makes things safer, then i'll do whatever it takes. a pat down is not sexual assault, and it isn't invasive IMO. it happens quickly, and there's nothing remotely sexual or personal about it. i think people just need to suck it up if they want to fly.

^I have absolutely no problem with the scanner, it's not like they're gonna see me fully naked and if it's important for our safety then yes use this thing. Pat downs are not a problem either, but I would be mortified if a person I don't even know touched my breasts/vagina area.