Travel New TSA pat down policy?

As a corollary, if the TSA were to actually adopt some or all of the counter-terrorism measures employed by the IAA/IDF, I would have no problem with it. Having flown through TLV several times, I can personally attest to the efficiency and effectiveness of their security procedures, even with having to undergo secondary screening.

"What Israel can teach us about security"

I was thinking the same thing..other countries have this sort of thing down.

This commentary pretty much sums up my feelings about this subject.

I also think it's really important for people to understand that Michael Chertoff, the former secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security who was involved in the decision to install the full body xray machines, and awarded contracts to companies for those machines--is now working for those companies as a consultant. I believe the aggressive pat downs are being used to make people more willing to comply with the xray machines.

Without going further into the political stuff around this, that should tell you everything you need to know. :rolleyes:

Thank GOD I no longer have small children in my care that I might have to travel with. I really feel for parents who do. :sad:

Last edited:

I also think it's really important for people to understand that Michael Chertoff, the former secretary of the Dept. of Homeland Security who was involved in the decision to install the full body xray machines, and awarded contracts to companies for those machines--is now working for those companies as a consultant. I believe the aggressive pat downs are being used to make people more willing to comply with the xray machines.

Without going further into the political stuff around this, that should tell you everything you need to know. :rolleyes:

Thank GOD I no longer have small children in my care that I might have to travel with. I really feel for parents who do. :sad:

fantastic piece, exactly how I feel too and says it much more articulately than I ever could. and thanks for the Michael Chertoff info, that's basically what this is all about, isn't i?

normally I hate when the media overblows and overhypes things, but I'm glad this issue is getting so much attention. I think both the x-rays and the pat-down (and yes, I've been through several) are horrible, invasive, unconstitutional procedures and it restores my faith in the U.S a bit that people are not taking this lying down, for lack of a better way to say that.

I wasn't even going to bring up the Michael Chertoff issue because I was worried about the potential political talk. I am glad someone brought it up though. I do wonder how many people were aware of his connection or the fact that he did not wait the usual grace period after leaving his post before going to work for the private sector.

Cancer surviving flight attendant told to remove prosthetic breast during pat-down

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13534628
By Molly Grantham -

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A Charlotte-area flight attendant and cancer survivor contacted WBTV after she says she was forced to show her prosthetic breast during a pat-down.

Cathy Bossi lives in south Charlotte and has been a flight attendant for the past 32 years, working the past 28 for U.S. Airways.

In early August Bossie was walking through security when she says she was asked to go through the new full body-scanners at Concourse "D" at Charlotte Douglas International.

She reluctantly agreed. As a 3-year breast cancer survivor she says she didn't want the added radiation through her body. But, Bossi says she did agree.

"The T.S.A. Agent told me to put my I.D. on my back," she said. "When I got out of there she said because my I.D. was on my back, I had to go to a personal screening area."

She says two female Charlotte T.S.A. agents took her to a private room and began what she calls an aggressive pat down. She says they stopped when they got around to feeling her right breast… the one where she'd had surgery.

Pat-down Backlash: Child groped during pat-down? What are the rules?

"She put her full hand on my breast and said, 'What is this?'. And I said, 'It's my prosthesis because I've had breast cancer.' And she said, 'Well, you'll need to show me that'."

Cathy was asked to show her prosthetic breast, removing it from her bra.

"I did not take the name of the person at the time because it was just so horrific of an experience, I couldn't believe someone had done that to me. I'm a flight attendant. I was just trying to get to work."

Since then, Cathy has contacted the Legislative Affairs Team, a group through the flight attendant union. She says she wants to see a crackdown on these personal pat downs.

"There are blowers and there are dogs out there that can sniff out bombs," she says. "There's no reason to have somebody's hands touching your body parts."

A T.S.A. representative says agents aren't supposed to remove any prosthetics, but are allowed to ask to see and touch any passenger's prosthetic.

T.S.A. says it will review this matter.

Am I the only one who feels that this woman over reacted in a GROSS way??? Needing counseling services for that?

She could have easily just stepped back while the agent was patting her down and asked what the hell she was doing...

Am I the only one who feels that this woman over reacted in a GROSS way??? Needing counseling services for that?

She could have easily just stepped back while the agent was patting her down and asked what the hell she was doing...

No, you're not the only one. I do feel the same way. While the TSA guard should've told the woman where she was touching her next in the search, the woman was the one who mostly perverted the incident by sexualizing it and drastically at that.

I agree that she could've been outspoken about it easily. It's not like the TSA guard was some person who kidnapped her and threatened her life if she moved as he/she "caressed" her. This was a professional doing a job in a public place.

so how are they going to handle it when the terrorists start sticking bombs in their a$$

will that show on the scan?

it's inevitable...just like drugs

Exactly.

Outrageous and unacceptable. :tdown:

Based on her description of what the TSA agent did to her, this woman was beyond searched. Getting on a flight should not require a stranger to stick her fingers in your genitals.

And I disagree that flying is a "privilege." It isn't. It's a service we pay for, one that has been steadily declining in quality for years thanks to multiple airline mergers and Wall Street shenanigans and which has turned into a nightmare since 9/11.

Flying has always involved risks. An attempt to eliminate all risk from flying IMO is unrealistic.

Ultimately, I believe I shouldn't have to "check out" my civil rights in order to use this mode of transportation.

ETA: I do agree that she's going a bit too far with the counseling...

Forgot to add...

If the main purpose of the TSA is to keep flights safe by catching terrorists before they board them, IMO "arbitrary" invasive pat-downs isn't the best way of achieving this. Given all their resources, I think they should and could find a more effective way to do this job.

No, you're not the only one. I do feel the same way. While the TSA guard should've told the woman where she was touching her next in the search, the woman was the one who mostly perverted the incident by sexualizing it and drastically at that.

I agree that she could've been outspoken about it easily. It's not like the TSA guard was some person who kidnapped her and threatened her life if she moved as he/she "caressed" her. This was a professional doing a job in a public place.

Exactly.

you know there's going to be a whole subset of people who want to be patted down, just hoping for that caress

so how are they going to handle it when the terrorists start sticking bombs in their a$$

will that show on the scan?

it's inevitable...just like drugs

They'll do full cavity searches. That's really going to slow down the securty procedure.

Forgot to add...

If the main purpose of the TSA is to keep flights safe by catching terrorists before they board them, IMO "arbitrary" invasive pat-downs isn't the best way of achieving this. Given all their resources, I think they should and could find a more effective way to do this job.

Exactly this.

i think it's ridiculous when people make a big fuss about the body scanners and pat downs. if it makes things safer, then i'll do whatever it takes. a pat down is not sexual assault, and it isn't invasive IMO. it happens quickly, and there's nothing remotely sexual or personal about it. i think people just need to suck it up if they want to fly.

IF it made things safer, I'd be up for it. I draw the line at cavity searches, but other than that, whatever keeps us safe is needed.

HOWEVER:
I think the issue is that many security experts have said that these new security measures do not make it safer to fly.
And the new enhanced patdown does touch people in what some consider to be an intimate way. TSA agents are allowed to feel your genitalia over your clothes.

This. Is the absolute truth.

The attack used to fuel the quest for full-body scanners at airport was carried out by Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab of Nigeria. He attempted to detonate a bomb hidden in his underwear on a flight over Detroit last Christmas. Following that, the nude body scans were recommended.

The full body scanners cannot detect chemicals or plastic. So they would not have stopped Umar, whose explosive diaper fell into that category. And if there are any repeat attempts using chemicals/plastic only, they won't be stopped by the full body scans either.

So the scanners are essentially no more helpful than the standard metal detectors previously (and less invasively) used.

There are terrorist attacks (fortunately not yet on airplanes) involving explosives shoved up the terrorist's anus to avoid whatever security force is in place for that person (palace security, etc.) in middle eastern countries. http://www.linktv.org/mosaic/blog/keyword/prince_mohammed_bin_nayef

Look, profiling is bad and unfair and makes people who are being profiled feel awful (not as awful as realizing you're going to die in a fiery crash, but still). But if all the terrorists attacking and bringing down planes were tall blond women of European descent and openly devout Protestant faith, I would (reluctantly) expect airport security to target me for a serious once over when I went through security. I would want the government to open (presumably for anyone's use, although I would be the biggest client) a program that would allow me to supplement my ticket and passport with a variety of other documents, verifiable through a computer system, showing that I'm a U.S. citizen, employed at such and such, and here is a detailed record of past flights I have been on without incident to these locations. As long as this is done with the realization that yes, there are a huge population of Protestant blond European-looking women who love America and have no illegal ties and no ulterior motives when flying, and I'm not treated with any massive and overt disrespect in the process, I'll do it.

The reality is that until middle age men in khakis and ties with slightly battered Samsonite luggage become terrorist threats, all of this security stuff violates everyone's rights while attempting to be both too invasive and not offensive enough. It's all a misappropriation of energy and funds that offends decent people without keeping them any safer.

This "security theater" does nothing to make me or other passengers safer, and that is what I object to.
:tup: :yes: Agree.