New Orleans: good place to live?

I live near N.O. and right now the crime rate is pretty high, but it's a GREAT city! Sometimes I feel like I'm only happy when I visit. So I try to go at least once a week! If you do move there, I'd live in the French Quarter where the crime rate is A LOT less and it's safer and there are nice houses and lofts there! GOOD LUCK!

I was born in New Orleans and have lived here pretty much my whole life with the exception of a few miserable months in Birmingham, AL, and three years in Tampa, FL.

I love this city. I love all the old architecture and the food and the uniqueness of the city. If you want to live in the suburbs with no crime this isn't the place for you. Being from here, I was just raised to be careful. I guess people in other cities aren't as careful as I am, but I'm just used to it.

When I pull into my driveway I make sure nobody is standing around watching. I've been doing that since I started driving though.

Some areas are still terrible after Katrina. Others are great. It just depends on where you go. You've always had to be careful in N.O. and I see it as being not much different now.

Personally, I like that, but I'm weird. I need a little risk in life to let me know I'm still alive. But I'm the type of person that if you put me in some super safe suburb I'd probably go insane, so it's all a pesronal preference.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to give me your input! I'm a bit freaked out about the crime. The heat would not dissuade me though, I prefer warm weather to cold weather (which is one bad point for Arlington, VA). I'm amazed that people actually venture outdoors once the temperature drops below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. :P

Anyway, I will try to visit all the places before making a decision, but it's so expensive to fly to several destinations in the United States. If only there were a TGV (super fast train) in the states...

Thanks for helping me move toward a decision (I'm leaning toward not moving to New Orleans, but surely going there to visit). :smile: