New Oak Legacy NVT Leather?

nightguard

Jun 11, 2015
The Mulberry website now has something called Oak Legacy NVT leather in several bags. I’m a big fan of the original NVT Oak and have an old Bayswater in that leather. So I went to my local boutique to look at their small Antony bag. Sadly, this new NVT leather does not look or feel like the original NVT. It now has a glossy finish, it appears like a coating has been applied to the surface. The SA didn’t know much about the leather but I was a bit disappointed as I’m looking for a NVT crossbody. Does anyone own anything in this new leather? I wonder how it will age or if it will even patina with that coating.

Thanks for sharing the info, and sad to hear that the new nvt leather is not like the original! I was really excited to see the nvt back so I purchased the medium lily in the new oak nvt leather over the phone (didn’t have the opportunity to go in to the boutique to see it irl). Now expecting to receive it in the mail tmr, and I can share some pics then. I’m not very familiar with the old nvt leather though, so hoping you guys can help there!

Yes please share some pics when you get your Lily! I’m hoping that the bag I saw in the store was an exception and they are not all coated. I only looked at 1 bag with this leather. I still like the bag though so I may purchase one online in hopes the leather will be different and more like my old one.

The Mulberry website now has something called Oak Legacy NVT leather in several bags. I’m a big fan of the original NVT Oak and have an old Bayswater in that leather. So I went to my local boutique to look at their small Antony bag. Sadly, this new NVT leather does not look or feel like the original NVT. It now has a glossy finish, it appears like a coating has been applied to the surface. The SA didn’t know much about the leather but I was a bit disappointed as I’m looking for a NVT crossbody. Does anyone own anything in this new leather? I wonder how it will age or if it will even patina with that coating.
Ugh that’s disappointing. But predictable I guess - they’re catering to the market that can’t stand seeing any patina or evidence of wear on a bag. I prefer natural leather to look like it’s leather.

I just recieved my Legacy NVT Bayswater several days ago. I agree, it is kind of shiny but more in a „new“ kind of way rather than „overly processed“. Depends on the light also which is very bad due to the poor weather in Switzerland right now. I guess it will patina quite nicely actually, although I have no experience with Mulberry leather, only other veg tanned. Maybe I am also not very peculiar in this aspect? I just disliked the printed leather very much as well as the microfiber.
Now I‘m very happy with my nicely unlined and contrast stiched bag. :smile:
Not sure if I‘m brave enough to post pictures after the first responses though. ;)

I just recieved my Legacy NVT Bayswater several days ago. I agree, it is kind of shiny but more in a „new“ kind of way rather than „overly processed“. Depends on the light also which is very bad due to the poor weather in Switzerland right now. I guess it will patina quite nicely actually, although I have no experience with Mulberry leather, only other veg tanned. Maybe I am also not very peculiar in this aspect? I just disliked the printed leather very much as well as the microfiber.
Now I‘m very happy with my nicely unlined and contrast stiched bag. :smile:
Not sure if I‘m brave enough to post pictures after the first responses though. ;)
No, don’t be put off, please post away! We all want to know! I loathed the microfibre, I won’t have in any brand, and it’s what stopped me buying Mulberry. If they truly are getting back to their roots I’m interested :smile:

Of course, this was just me being silly. I hope the picture will be helpful. This is after one application of leather gel and rather stuffed with my whole homeoffice ;)
View attachment 5088345
This leather looks beautiful and similar to my old oak Bayswater! Maybe the one in store for the Antony bag was an exception or made that way just for that particular bag. I will consider ordering online to see what i get. Thanks for the pic!

Not to put you off or anything, but I just got the medium lily in the mail. Now I understand the coating you mentioned, it does have a glossy finish, which unfortunately I’m not a fan of. This particular one I received is also made in Turkey, not in England as the website claims. I’ll be returning this one for sure, but by looking at the beautiful bayswater dorie25 shared, not sure if this lily is just an exception. I might try ordering one from online and see if it might be different.

Not to put you off or anything, but I just got the medium lily in the mail. Now I understand the coating you mentioned, it does have a glossy finish, which unfortunately I’m not a fan of. This particular one I received is also made in Turkey, not in England as the website claims. I’ll be returning this one for sure, but by looking at the beautiful bayswater dorie25 shared, not sure if this lily is just an exception. I might try ordering one from online and see if it might be different.
I looked at the Antony in store and saw that it was made in Turkey too, not England. Sad to hear that the Lily also has this coated leather. Maybe they only make the Bayswater in original leather in England since it’s their classic.

Oh, sorry to hear that you are not happy with the Lily. :sad:

I actually don’t think the Bayswater is the old NVT leather. I can definitely see the shiny properties mentioned, but I just feel it is not very pronounced or overly artificial looking. Could be inconsistency? Or maybe just personal preference? The Bayswater is made in England though.

I went into the Mulberry at Harrods on Sunday and saw these new NVT legacy bags. They all had a finish/sheen to them but it was extremely subtle (and that was under a bright light) that did not, in my opinion, detract from the beauty of the bags. I have to say the Bayswater was absolutely stunning, just exquisite! You will probably be able to take these new oak bags out in the rain and won't have to worry about the water staining the leather with this coating on them - not something that would bother me as it all adds to a patina, but I know some ladies do not like their bags to be stained by the rain, or anything else.

Reactions: Yuki85 and PeanutB
Just wondering if anyone has any further feedback on this leather? I always lusted after a Bayswater in Oak NVT. Never got around to it and then it was discontinued and followed by a lot of artificially stamped grained bags that were too structured and just not my cup of tea. I’d love an Oak Bays in a leather that will patina in time so very tempted by this!

Reactions: Green eyed girl_00