Tech New Macbook Pro 15' with Retina Display Out, Anyone going to get it???

L.Vuitton.Freak

Jason W
O.G.
Aug 27, 2011
Hi ladies and gents!!!

I just heard of the new Macbook Pro coming out with retina display... Just wondering anyone here going to get it???

I was thinking of getting one, but I found out they took out the optical drive (CD slot) to make it thinner once again... Well I found that if I did purchase it, I would have to lug extra computer stuff with me... and well my Speedy 40 is gonna be full of not my stuff, but stuff for my Mac!! ;)

Well I am going to use it for Uni, and play Sims on it and well you can't play Sims with out a CD slot do you... I think computers are the only thing that practicality comes first for me!

Anyways I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the new Macbook Pro... and please if anyone is actually going to get it, please do a review of it!!

Heres the video that Apple released of it on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Neff9scaCCI&feature=g-all-u

So again what do you guys think about it???

I must say I am extremely tempted but am not sure how the SSD is gonna hold up. Did they improved on that ?

And here I thought this would be my travel year. Why are you doing this to me Apple ?!

I just got a new MacBook Pro last year, so I'm going to hold on to it for at least 2 years before I get a new one. If I was "due" for a new laptop, I would definitely get one.

i'm really tempted...

but i don't know how that laptop would fit into my life. i have enough trouble lugging around my 13 in pro. i hate even just doing that. i'm thinking of selling my 13 inch and getting an 11in air and the new 15in pro. but that seems like a lot of effort for someone who uses their laptop for nothing more than watching youtube videos and getting on tPF.

i would purchase it if i need it but so far i'm happy with my air and you know what? i don't miss the cd slot at all. i don't even remember the last time i put cd on my old macbook before i purchase the air

I am wondering if the retina makes that much of a difference. I am debating if I should upgrade or keep the one I have. I have a macbook from late 2008. Anything before that will not be compatible with Mountain Lion (new OS) which will be released in July.

I'm struggling....I'm a techy-type of girl but I'm trying to be practical.

i looked at it today. the screen is very nice, noticeably thinner, and it seems really quick. i have a quad core 15" from last year so i'm not sure it's worth upgrading.

I am a HUGE apple fan and own most of their products but a $2000 price tag for a laptop is way too much IMO. I bought a reg Pro for just around 1k with the student discount and it's working just fine for me.

I honestly don't think anyone needs that much RAM or that fancy of a display unless they are doing serious photo/video editing, or are serious gamers. It's just unnecessary otherwise.

Seriously?! I thought you'd be lining up for this one :lol:

As for me, I am tempted, but I think I'm going to pass. My pro is only 3 years old and still works great and I have an air for travel. I don't mind not having an optical drive (it's never been a problem for my air), but I've read some reviews that the new one is still fairly heavy (it's not anywhere close to the air).

After some hesitation I strolled into the Apple store a few days ago to check it out. My 5 year old 17" MBP was due for an upgrade, this turned out to be the perfect replacement, so I scooped one up.

The thinner format is perfect for travel, the screen is a sight to behold, it is fast and very responsive.

The lack of DVD drive and ethernet port is a great "feature", I don't remember the last time I used either of those. The only downside is that applications and websites that are not retina-optimized look like crap. Being a developer it's a welcomed challenge to rethink in terms of design and usability.

Thumbs up, it's the perfect laptop in my opinion.