Need some help:should I go for Hermes?

If you are at the point of deciding between a birkin and bolide, look closely at the bags and your lifestyle. The birkin is a tote bag most easily carried open whereas the bolide has a zipper closure. The bolide has a shoulder strap (right?) whereas the birkin is a hand toted bag. Both bags can be stiff or slouchy depending on the leather that you pick. Likewise the weight of the bags to some degree. Depending on where you live the birkin will be more noticeable (where I live it seems few know what I carry).
As to your lifestyle, are your daughters of an age that you need your hands free, ie, toddlers? Which bag can you visualize yourself using day in and day out? Do you have to dress up during the day often? Hope these questions help.
The decision is so personal because the bags are different enough. I adore the open tote style of a birkin and probably use it most. I really wish it was less popular.
I do agree with Liberte, try to find either bag at a resale shop. Pre loved H bags can be in beautiful shape. Good luck!

You're all very helpfull:thanks again!
In fact I was thinking of something,why do I hesitate?
And,now,I've a better idea
To choose the Birkin it's like going out with the most beautifull guy of the school,you are proud but a bit affraid by jalousy.
To choose the Bolide,is like watching an old friend,and suddenly,you realize:he's so nice,so kind,always there(he would never let you down even if you put your iced feet on his leg when you're on bed:lol:)not so much coveted by your friends,but reassuring.
In one phrase:voice of reason or voice of passion?Both sound(s?) good!

Last edited:
I think all the ladies here offered wonderful advice. Spend some time here at tPF. Relax. Don't over analyze. Your decision will come to you. In the end, it's about what YOU want and love most.

A mon avis, (and as someone just starting to save her money for a first Hermès handbag) this decision is one of passion, not necessarily reason.

Regardless of the choice you make, you will own an finely crafted luxury bag that is useful for many things, but also fabulous and timeless. Chacun est pratique, chacun est décadent, et aussi, (bien sur) chacun coute très cher. Since they are so different in their style and yet so similar in their luxury, I think it is important to fall in love with one of them. Try them on again and again and see which one feels perfect on your arm, see which one shows up in your daydreams.

If neither affects you this way, then wait, and don't sell your handbag collection just yet. If you do trouve l'amour with one of them, then start the process of selling your bags in order to bring your new love home.

Bonne chance! :smile:

Welcome on TPF!!!

You mention that you love the Birkin 'because it's an iconic bag'? Please be sure that you absolutely truly love the bag. Personally I wouldnt' be happy with my Birkin only. Depending on the occasion, I use my Chanel bags of other H-bags (GP or Lindy).

I thought I would use my Birkin every day but in practise (because it's so expensive?) I use other bags when it rains or when I have to use the underground.

Good luck with making your decision. If you spend some time on the forum, your choice will become easier (and more difficult at the same time because of all these lovely choices).

Bonne chance!!!

Before I got my first birkin I thought i would never carry such a bag. I love shoulder bags. I couldn't imagine not being able to sling my bag over my shoulder. Now, I cannot imagine being without it. I wear it all the time.

Last night, I had to force myself to use my 2.55 because it was more appropriate. Good move I love that bag too.

Fear not. You will love either your Bolide or Birkin. And you'll love your next bag too.

Sounds to me like you really really deep down would maybe want a birkin. ;)

Outside of cost issues;

would you still want a bolide if you got the birkin?

would you still want a birkin if you got a bolide?

I'm sure whatever you decide, the handbag will be utterly stunning. Why don't you wait a bit and just visit the boutique to see which designs sing to you? There's no rush or shortage of bags to warrant a quick decision, now is there? Good luck!

You're all very helpfull:thanks again!
In fact I was thinking of something,why do I hesitate?
And,now,I've a better idea
To choose the Birkin it's like going out with the most beautifull guy of the school,you are proud but a bit affraid by jalousy.
To choose the Bolide,is like watching an old friend,and suddenly,you realize:he's so nice,so kind,always there(he would never let you down even if you put your iced feet on his leg when you're on bed:lol:)not so much coveted by your friends,but reassuring.

You've convinced me anilouann -- you need both :smile: I'm not a birkin person, but I do want to have a bolide - when I see one that makes my heart sing for the right price. I wanted to hedge my bets in case I didn't fall in love with H-- so I started my H collection with four vintage bags -- 28 BBkelly (my grail); noisette jige pm; barenia/toile evelyne pm; black togo evelyne GM -- but I know I am not the kind of person to have just one bag even if it is H. . . I am unloading all of my other bags (except for a few chanels and croc) --- since I don't sell on ebay, my mom's assistant who gets most of my stuff is thrilled :smile:

Whatever you do, do not compromise. I cannot tell you how many times I didn't buy something, then spent much more money trying to replace it. If that makes any sense, but I'm sure we've all been there. Buy what your heart truly desires.

Go for the Birkin. 1. You never have to be embarassed or ashamed to carry a Birkin unless you stole it. 2. You only live once. 3. Buy the bag that makes your heart skip a beat when you see it.

ITA, buy the one that trully calls to you. It sounds like this is the Birkin? (passion!) I was the same way. I didn't feel like I could justify the cost of a Kelly even though it was the bag I was head over heels in love with. I tried to talk myself out of it. Spent tons of money on other bags (that I could have saved and just bought the Kelly!) But buying a $600 bag did not seem as "bad" as buying a $5000 bag, KWIM? But after buying a bunch of other stuff at the end of the day I still really yearned for the Kelly and knew it was "the one". I was lucky enough to find my Kelly (vintage) and now I finally feel like my dream has come true! :yahoo: I could happily sell most of my other bags and never miss them because I have Miss Kelly. :cloud9: so if the Birkin or the Bolide make you feel that way go for it! :tup:
PS S'mom if you see this I just wanted to say you were right! :heart::heart::heart:;)
Buy what makes your heart sing!!!

It's such a pleasure to read your advices,and truely helpfull.
I spend my time on the Hermes reference library post,watching lot of bags,leathers...
Some things are sure:I need a big bag (I'm tall,and I love big bags),but a 40cm is too expensive for my purse,I prefer the taurillon clemence,my favorites bags are:Birkin,Bolide,Kelly,Lindy,on the alphabetic order!
I've tried the largest Lindy,I'll take a look to the posts about this bag(can I let it open,isn't it a bit small,possibility to put a magazine inside ect...)
It was my first post on the Hermès forum:thanks to all of you!

Plenty of room for a magazine, folded newspaper etc in the 34 Lindy anilouann and you can leave it zipped but not on the turn key and still slip your hand in to get what you need. You also have the option of handheld or shoulder carried.

But it sounds to me like you really want a Birkin ;)

:welcome2:There are so many wonderful choices in bags,leathers,styles that Hermes has to offer,just take your time in deciding.Seeing that your eyeing a 40cm your assured everything will fit inside,but from your posts it really does seem your aiming towards a birkin & why not,its a great bag but again so are their other styles.Go with your heart!