need help for my first designer bag

Welcome fellow TPFer!!! :happydance:

Before I start giving you suggestions let me ask you a few questions first: You age range, your personal style, your lifestyle- school student, work, hang with friends mainly, etc., do you want a bag that is an all around bag or something more specific towards your lifestyle?
i am 29 years old. i like to wear comfortable and stylish clothes in daytime and like to wear nice dress when out at night. I am a dentist (DMD). i love hanging out with friends. i like bag which i can use everyday of course. thanks!

Hi wenndmd! Welcome to the forum!

I am currently in Dubai back from Bangkok where I thought Bangkok had the worst weather yet it is a lot better than we have here right now, I do understand how you are concerned about damaging the LV canvas bag. If you wish to have something stylish yet casual like the LV Neverfull MM, my suggestion is to have a look at Gucci tote bags since Gucci is on sale now you can probably get some bags for 2,600 Dhs instead of spending 5,000+ on something that you are not sure about. Look into other brands as well and maybe in the winter you get the LV you wished for? Just a suggestion :smile:

I am also a first time buyer and was excited to see this post. Some of your replies were great..gave me a lot of insight in what to look for. Will someone please explain "authenicating". How do i go about doing this? and why is it necessary if you are buying from a reputable store?

:ty:

Last edited:
^Authenticating means to verify if the designer bag you buy is real assuming you buy from resellers.

There are different sub-forums here meaning from Chanel to Louis Vuitton with each sub-forum having their own authentication thread. The experienced tpf'ers in each sub-forum will then help you to verify.

If you're buying from the designer boutique itself e.g. Louis Vuitton boutique, then obviously you do not need to authenticate.:smile:

Here's the link to the different authetication threads in different sub-forums:

http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/announcement-authenticate-this.html

im originally from pasig and some of my friends are LV lovers that is why i got into it. thanks!

Actually come to think about it, there is one think I don't like with Neverfulls. The straps look weak and they are too skinny! Even for the largest sized Neverfull! Go with something else! Haha kidding :biggrin:

wenndmd, since you told me you were a dentist I imagined you to bring a lot of stuff daily! You could take a look at some of these totes. I don't know what your style is but hopefully this'll help! :biggrin:

gucci_scarf_tote_bag.jpg

Gucci scarf tote

miu-miu-soft-leather-shoulder-bag-6.jpg

Miu Miu soft leather [this is TDF]

fendi-chef-tote-bag.jpg

Fendi Chef tote

DI492_l.jpg

And if you're concerned about budget, here's a Dooney & Bourke @ $185.00

nikki-hilton-goyard-st-louis-gm.jpg

Of course... a Goyard. :smile: Ok I am biased, I know I said Nevefulls have flimsy handles but a I just love a St. Louis. Simple, yet it'll stand out. And you won't get sick of the monogramming. :smile:

i am 29 years old. i like to wear comfortable and stylish clothes in daytime and like to wear nice dress when out at night. I am a dentist (DMD). i love hanging out with friends. i like bag which i can use everyday of course. thanks!

Thanks for answering the questions, based on that I would give some serious thought to a LV Speedy in the Damier Azur, its a great color for the climate there and its a neutral color. As far as size is concerned the classic is the 30, but its best to buy whatever size suits you, I would go to the LV boutique and try on the different sizes (comes in 25, 30, 35 & 40), look at yourself in the mirror and then decide which is the best size for your needs. The reason I suggested a Speedy as opposed to a tote is; I feel a Speedy is more versatile from day to night and its a "classic must have" in your handbag collection, whereas a tote is a little harder to pull off for an evening out.

However, if a tote is what you need I would go with Goyard simply because they're a little more exclusive and you customize it (meaning you can Goyard handpaint your initials, stripes or a symbol...for an extra charge of course).

Last edited:
thanks so much for all your help! sorry i wasnt able to follow up. I got NV mm already. next month i plan to get Mini Lin speedy 30. And my bf promised to get me a Gucci Large Sukey when he goes to Germany next week. I am so excited.. Soon to be a Bagaholic!!!

Congrats on your purchases! Glad we were all able to help in some small way so you make a more informed decision on your bag. Please post pics of your reveals (in the proper threads) so we can all see! Cheers!