Navel piercing

My navel piercing is such a horror story... I got it done when I turned 18, and had it for about 6 months. My stomach was never perfectly flat, and the piercing often rubbed on the waistband of my jeans. I also made the mistake of changing out the ring too soon. I bought a sterling silver and rhinestone barbell in a smaller gauge, but the rhinestone fell out. The empty setting cut into my skin, and as it healed, the piercing actually *grew into* my navel. (The skin grew over the rhinestone setting, so I couldn't move the barbell or take it out.) Long story short, I had to go to the doctor's office and have the barbell *cut out* from my navel. I still have an ugly scar from it. Obviously, I'll never do that again...:yucky:

I noticed that some people get the peircing a little bit above their belly button, and others get it like it looks in their belly button. Is there a difference and how/why??

I noticed that some people get the peircing a little bit above their belly button, and others get it like it looks in their belly button. Is there a difference and how/why??

Hi there! I think it depends in many cases by the shape of the belly button itself. Some people, like me, have a sort of "hole", so the piercing will be done on one "border" of the "hole". Others have different shapes, with "curves" even inside the "hole", like a shell or - just to remail in Italian terms - a "tortellini" pasta (you know, the one with the filling :smile:). In that case it is possible to pierce the inside of the belly button. Usually it is the piercer who chooses where to pierce, he knows better!

Atm I only have one belly button ring. But I used to have 3 more. They now turned in to purple scars and looks really ugly but I still don't regret it.
I did my first belly button piercing when I was 14 and then the second at 16 that I had to take out one year later and then 2 at the age of 19 that now are gone too during infection, but it's basically my own fault for not taking care of it properly.

The first one didn't hurt one bit, but I could feel the other ones.

I had one almost 10 years ago. It didn't hurt terribly getting it done, but it was constantly infected and it ached miserably most of the time. It never fully, truly healed. I was very careful about proper cleansing/care, too.

I left it in for about a year, and it finally got so infected that I had an MD look at it. She made me take it instantly. I still have a really nasty, dark scar.

I also had my eyebrow and tongue pierced and NEVER, ever had a problem with either of those in terms of infection, pain or scarring.

ive had mine since i was around 13, way before the craze started! im 28 now and i still love it. its a part of me and i really dont even think twice about it. if you decide to get it done, there is a good chance it will become infected, even with good care, as your body tries to reject it. dont worry! keep it super clean and it will get better. ive never had a problem since that healing period right after getting it done. you will love it! and mine hurt pretty damn bad but was over quick and totally worth it!

I had mine done at 15, then took it out at 21 I am almost 25 and I regret it because there is a scar and it have never really closed at the top, the bottom hole closed but the top one didnt..... I hate looking at my belly button and seeing the small hole....

I did love it while I had it though!

i had mine done when i was 15 ... it has been fine, but i removed it for the first time ever just a few months ago as i want to let it heal before we try for a baby in a year or so. I loved mine ... but alas, we all have to grow up ;)