Naomi Osaka

The restrictions on the players have taken a toll, especially with the travel to various countries.
Fans, though, have been happy to watch the matches on tv. The Olympics will be interesting.

The Parisian lockdown is winding down. During the daylight hours, the streets of the French capital are alive for everyone to enjoy once more — except the world’s best tennis players.

They get an hour a day.

For many professional athletes, especially those in countries where vaccine delivery is moving briskly, life has begun to return to a semblance of normalcy. Tennis players at the French Open, though, continue to exist in a state of high pandemic alert, forced to shuttle mostly between designated hotels and sites for competition or practice while the world jumps back to life around them.
“It is not the best situation,” Rafael Nadal, the 13-time winner of the Grand Slam tournament, said the other day.
Nadal wants to go out to dinner. He wants to enjoy a normal life. “It is not possible today,” he said. “We just wait for it.”

The pandemic has created major obstacles for every professional sport. But because tennis players and the tours switch cities and countries, and sometimes continents, each week, the sport has been especially vulnerable.

When sports sprang back to life last summer, the big concern was figuring out how to keep athletes from becoming infected and then sidelining a team or forcing an entire tournament, perhaps even a league, to shut down. Now the focus is on preventing players who travel the globe from infecting local communities. As government officials continue to tighten or even close borders, the sport’s organizers have often had to agree to a strict set of conditions to gain permission for tournaments to take place. Those conditions often include serious limitations on player movement.

For the players, the routine is getting old. Alexander Zverev of Germany, the No. 6 seed at the French Open, said this spring that he had reached a breaking point at a tournament in Rotterdam earlier this year, “freaking out” while confined to his hotel and the empty arena with little access to fresh air.
Daniil Medvedev of Russia, seeded second at the French Open, said he had found life on the road confusing these days.
When he visited Moscow, everything was open and he was free to go to nightclubs and restaurants. When the tour moved to Florida for the Miami Open, spring break was in full swing, but players were confined to their hotels. Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece was fined $7,500 for visiting a Whole Foods. Now the tour is in Europe and each city has different guidelines, with some nearly shut down during periods of the day.
“It’s controversial,” Medvedev said. “Depends what you believe in, depends what you think about all this, depends what you see.”

Reactions: limom
Oooh, she is most certainly thinking.
All of these ‘young’ athletes [and royals] are surrounded by adults. They are not alone. Sometimes these adults have an agenda, usually driven by money.

Nevertheless, tennis will carry on. Covid proved that these ‘stars’ are not necessary to the fans.

Tennis lovers just enjoy watching a good game. Rafa :heart:

View attachment 5099515
Ha! Glad that Rafa finally comes to this discussion. From what I read and see publicly, he's shy and uncomfortable in front of the press (unlike the natural diplomat Herr R. Federer). His English was early on not perfect and he often spoke in Spanish. Yet he soldiered on. He won his first title at around 20 so same situation. And he manages to be private outside the tennis world and gives off the vibe of nice guy. Apples and oranges? But I do think it’s possible to be young and shy and pressured and succesful and professional.

Rafa’s team smartly took excellent care of their star. As did Judy Murray and the Federer team. NO has a team, too.
So what is really going on?

Last edited:
Reactions: Helventara
Blind post. I'm a bit torn - and forgive me if I'm not getting the timeframe straight; I was a bit more interested in seeing the Habs win over the past two weeks than paying attention to tennis.

Mental health is a real thing. I cannot imagine being 23, having all of that money, being watched, and being or feeling, especially isolated during the pandemic. I think anyone if they're being honest, could admit they wouldn't be copasetic or their normal, joyful self.

HOWEVER. In my regular job - much as I'd like to - I can't choose to only help the internal staff I like, and ignore the inquiries from staff I don't enjoy interacting with and cause me the most stress. There are things everyone hates about their job; and maybe she has a bit of anxiety around public speaking - but you don't get to choose to only do the stuff you actually like in the job. There's grunt tasks do; and us normies would be fired if we only did the tasks we felt like (or flunk out of school if we only did the assignments we like.)

I'm also of the belief that if you have stress at your job - you first find ways to cope. If it means you get in teletherapy, you do that. If it means you need medication for a time, you do that. You have to find a coping mechanism before you just go pack up your shizz and ask your doctor for a stress leave note. But maybe she did try though; and these avenues were fruitless (and she's certainly not expected to tell the public what coping mechanisms she may have looked into.)

I think if she had just accepted the $15K fine for skipping the presser (certainly, she can afford it), finished up the tournament, and then chosen, after that to go on sabbatical, I'd probably be a bit more understanding. At the same time, my sympathy goes out to her - because mental health is real; and I can't imagine having all that pressure on my shoulders at such a young age.

Blind post. I'm a bit torn - and forgive me if I'm not getting the timeframe straight; I was a bit more interested in seeing the Habs win over the past two weeks than paying attention to tennis.

Mental health is a real thing. I cannot imagine being 23, having all of that money, being watched, and being or feeling, especially isolated during the pandemic. I think anyone if they're being honest, could admit they wouldn't be copasetic or their normal, joyful self.

HOWEVER. In my regular job - much as I'd like to - I can't choose to only help the internal staff I like, and ignore the inquiries from staff I don't enjoy interacting with and cause me the most stress. There are things everyone hates about their job; and maybe she has a bit of anxiety around public speaking - but you don't get to choose to only do the stuff you actually like in the job. There's grunt tasks do; and us normies would be fired if we only did the tasks we felt like (or flunk out of school if we only did the assignments we like.)

I'm also of the belief that if you have stress at your job - you first find ways to cope. If it means you get in teletherapy, you do that. If it means you need medication for a time, you do that. You have to find a coping mechanism before you just go pack up your shizz and ask your doctor for a stress leave note. But maybe she did try though; and these avenues were fruitless (and she's certainly not expected to tell the public what coping mechanisms she may have looked into.)

I think if she had just accepted the $15K fine for skipping the presser (certainly, she can afford it), finished up the tournament, and then chosen, after that to go on sabbatical, I'd probably be a bit more understanding. At the same time, my sympathy goes out to her - because mental health is real; and I can't imagine having all that pressure on my shoulders at such a young age.

What you say makes perfect sense. We've all seen in the past examples of what happens when someone young becomes rich and famous. It was almost a cliché with child actors from the '70s and '80s. The ego and the bank account grow quickly.

Basically it comes down to whether you believe she is actually as fragile as is being said. From my earlier post, she has herself available for public speaking engagements with Athlete Speakers (https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/naomi-osaka) for a substantial fee. So she doesn't really mind public speaking. Is she only traumatized when she is not being paid? More likely, she doesn't like the press interviews because they may ask her questions that could be critical of her playing and that upsets her. It will be interesting to see if she seeks professional help with her issues. If she won't do anything to get over feeling stressed at press conferences and still refuses to do them then I'll say she is being a prima donna and the mental health excuse was bunk.

Vive les Habitants!
giphy.gif

On topic: Naomi is a hockey fan.
*Okay, I just made that up so I could reply to maris :whistle:

IMO it is the restrictions. As the NYTimes article noted, these restrictions are affecting numerous athletes. The isolation must be a shock, especially for people who are used to the adulation of fans. Hoping the Olympics are paying attention.

ETA: maybe she really misses being away from her boyfriend. Other athletes have said they do indeed miss their families and friends. She could be feeling the same. Their GQ interview was adorable because it seemed so honest.

Last edited:
She did accept the fine. The tournament officials and the press made it a bigger deal than it had to be, hence her withdrawing to remove herself from the situation.

NO herself has admitted she handled it badly. The officials have said they handled it badly. A lose/lose show.
At least, everyone is in agreement that they could have done better. We have Wimbledon, Olympics, US Open still to play.
Let’s hope they all can move forward positively. Let’s hope Nike and other corporations set up some effective programs for these athletes and their loved ones. These separations just add to the pressure.

“We also know mental health has no offseason," he continued. "It isn't just about preparing for moments of urgent need — it's also about cultivating a healthy mind and body for everyday life. It's why at Nike, we've taken a number of steps to support our employees through enhanced access to diverse counselors, free wellness memberships, support for families (including paid parental & family leave, back-up care, childcare subsidies), and more. And as we continue to listen to our teammates' needs, we plan to further enhance our offerings later this year."

Last edited:
I thought some athletes get paid to play in tournament? If so why do they not speak to the press? It's a tough one. Do you count on mental health only when you've made enough money? If you had no media presence of if big companies knew of your mental health issues prior to your media presence, would they endorse you? She is famous enough to be able to openly say she has mental health issues.

Excellent article - thank you. Love his attitude! Love his perspective! He has ‘it’ figured out.
:heart:

Tennis is not my priority for the moment. Getting out of the bubble is is the only goal I have at every tournament ''I arrive, I take some money and I go to the next tournament: I do my job. There, if you win an ATP 250, you only pocket $30,000. I took 10,000 each time by losing straight. Why rip yourself off like a nut to win barely more?''

'Third I will talk about the ATP circuit which has become sad, boring and ridiculous.

I know you are going to say you don't realize how lucky you are blah-blah-blah, but playing in closed stadiums without any atmosphere Isn't that why I play tennis .., have to stay either at the hotel or at the tennis club and be forbidden to go out on pain of exclusion and a fine, or is the pleasure of traveling? tennis and become a tasteless job.

So yes I need time to adapt to this pseudo ATP circuit but I will make the efforts to try to just rediscover the pleasure of playing tennis .. I am not talking about results I I'm going to go play Acapulco and Miami after thinking a lot, and my goal will be just to have a smile on the field and enjoy kicking a ball, that I win yes that I lose I really don't care."

@lanasyogamama RE: H&M comparisons - yes, there are several valid similarities, but important differences. Something important is happening in sports. Imo it has to do with corporations using these young athletes for the corporations‘ gain. What worked in the past will not work now. Time for corporations to step up.

Last edited:
Basically it comes down to whether you believe she is actually as fragile as is being said. From my earlier post, she has herself available for public speaking engagements with Athlete Speakers (https://www.athletespeakers.com/speaker/naomi-osaka) for a substantial fee. So she doesn't really mind public speaking. Is she only traumatized when she is not being paid? More likely, she doesn't like the press interviews because they may ask her questions that could be critical of her playing and that upsets her. It will be interesting to see if she seeks professional help with her issues. If she won't do anything to get over feeling stressed at press conferences and still refuses to do them then I'll say she is being a prima donna and the mental health excuse was bunk.

Keep in mind though "public speaking" is not all the same. There's public speaking where you go out, read a pre-written script that you got to practice and you don't expect any surprises... and then there's being interviewed by people who you don't know what they're going to ask - or worse, if you know they're going to ask criticizing questions. It's like saying I like meeting people... it usually means "I like meeting nice people, I DON'T like meeting nasty people." ITA with you that this is a critical part of her job and she just needs to find a better way to handle it, full stop, but I don't see the contradiction here in someone being able to handle one situation but not the other.

I came to this thread because it was mentioned in another thread. FYI I removed a few posts that are referencing other threads, we always like to keep threads "on track" and not bring in other threads because it causes issues.

I will say, as an ex-competitive athlete (Vlad and I both were recruited to swim at Ohio State), while I was never on the professional level that Naomi is, the intense pressure and scrutiny these athletes face is immense. It can't be compared to or understood if you haven't been an athlete like this, and like I said, I have never been on her level. Just because another athlete handles the spotlight better, doesn't mean another can not feel crippling anxiety or pressure over the same spotlight. Not everyone is made for the questions and scrutiny the same, not everyone feels at ease with the press, and the press doesn't treat everyone the same.

I think it's a bit messy. She does have obligations to speak, but she also needs to take care of herself. Those two are conflicting but doesn't mean they can't exist together. And I applaud her for deciding to sit it out to not make the story bigger or more about her. It didn't work, the media ran with it, but I applaud her.

Sometimes we all need mental health breaks. Just because she is skilled at her sport and making a lot of money, doesn't mean she can't feel the pressure or need to take care of her mental health. Talk to any athlete about their time on top, and you'll hear a lot of stories of depression and anxiety. I think a bit of empathy here would go a long way.

Perhaps tennis was the means to an end?
Still, the Nike connection should not be overlooked.

Three-Time Grand Slam Champion Naomi Osaka Invests in North Carolina Courage Women’s Professional Soccer Team
NO_Annoucement_ReleasePhotos_3_Cropped_text_large.jpg

CARY, NC (Jan. 28, 2021)- Global sports icon and tennis superstar Naomi Osaka has invested in the North Carolina Courage, the club announced today. Naomi is the first investor in the Courage since Steve Malik acquired and relocated the team to North Carolina in 2017.

Named Forbes’ Highest Paid Female Athlete in 2020, Naomi is showing her commitment to inspiring the next generation of female athletes by investing her time and money into one of the best women’s professional soccer teams in the world.

The women who have invested in me growing up made me who I am today and I cannot think of where my life would be without them,” said Naomi. “My investment in the North Carolina Courage is far beyond just being a team owner, it’s an investment in amazing women who are role models and leaders in their fields and inspirations to all young female athletes. I also admire everything the Courage does for diversity and equality in the community, which I greatly look forward to supporting and driving forward.”

Naomi, the daughter of a Haitian father and Japanese mother, was the first Asian player to hold the No. 1 ranking in singles and the first Japanese player to win a Grand Slam. The 23-year-old was named Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year in 2020 for both a strong showing on the court and her off-the-court activism. Naomi, like the members of the NC Courage, used her platform in 2020 as a stage for social activism in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

“I am thrilled to welcome Naomi as an owner of the North Carolina Courage,” said Malik, Chairman of the North Carolina Courage. “Naomi embodies the values we have been striving to cultivate at our club, and she brings an invaluable viewpoint on topics beyond sports. I cannot think of anyone better to help us as we continue to make a difference in our community and inspire the next generation of women.”

In terms of competitive achievements, parallels can be drawn between Naomi and the team in which she has invested. The two are no strangers to success, as Naomi has won three Grand Slam titles (2018 US Open, 2019 Australian Open, 2020 US Open) and the Courage have won six trophies in four years (two NWSL Championships, three NWSL Shields, and the Women’s International Champions Cup).

The Courage are part of the largest youth to professional soccer club in the U.S. with over 13,000 players, which aligns organically with The Naomi Osaka Play Academy, an initiative that aims to change girls’ lives through play and sport. Naomi’s program is part of Nike’s Made to Play commitment to get more kids moving around the world. The Play Academy provides a fun, positive experience for young girls with a focus on gender-inclusive coaching and programming to help break down barriers for girls in sports.

“Naomi is the perfect fit as an owner because her values sync so well with our club,” said North Carolina Courage President and General Manager, Curt Johnson. “A team with an exemplary and trailblazing roster of world-class professional athletes supported by a globally influential icon is a seminal moment for our sport and the Courage organization.”

The Courage are also looking forward to harnessing Naomi’s passion and talent for fashion, with plans to incorporate the tennis star into its design decisions in 2021.

She has good taste in Women’s Soccer team’s :smile:

I hope she feels better soon and gets the help she needs. The past year has messed with most of us. I just think this could have been handled better all around.