Naomi Osaka

Lol I can see this has the potential for becoming another Meghan Markle thread. I'm sort of fascinated by why and how some "celebrities" engender such passionate responses (positive or negative).

I don't mean to be snarky but who cares?

I mean I tend to save my energy and ire for people who hurt others in some way. Osaka (and Markle) only hurt themselves. She's a relatively young girl who seems to be going to through a tough time so I feel sorry for her. That costs me nothing.

I think it's worth noting that I don't think she has not said she is dealing with mental illness. In her original statement that she would not participate in press conferences, she said she long thought that they were not good for a players mental health. The press took the implication there and ran with it.

On a positive note - I realized when I googled to see her original statement just how much fashion publications cover her. The first article I found about the French Open issue was in Glamour. Remembering the days when Maria Sharapova was considered the beauty in tennis over other players like Venus, Serena, or even Lindsay Davenport, I do love that the fashion world is now doing more to recognize the beauty in a woman like Naomi. It's about time.

Lol I can see this has the potential for becoming another Meghan Markle thread. I'm sort of fascinated by why and how some "celebrities" engender such passionate responses (positive or negative).

I don't mean to be snarky but who cares?

I mean I tend to save my energy and ire for people who hurt others in some way. Osaka (and Markle) only hurt themselves. She's a relatively young girl who seems to be going to through a tough time so I feel sorry for her. That costs me nothing.

1000% agree. It’s pretty obvious to me that Naomi is extremely introverted but as a rockstar tennis player, she’s been thrown into the spotlight. Celebrity life is very different from normal, relative obscurity life. As I’m sure we here know, it can be hard for many to cope.

I’m not quite clear on why athletes in general have to answer questions from the press. I’d rather Naomi and all athletes focus their energy and time on honing their skills and winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: pukasonqo