My fiance and Chanel cannot co-exist boohoo

If you can afford it, I say go for it. But it's not worth upsetting your fiance if he thinks you cant afford it or if the money is better spent towards your wedding and apartment. I think you will always be able to get the bag, but your wedding only comes once. Good luck!

I'm in the exact same position as you! It's hard to control the urge! But if you and your fiance are paying for the wedding, I would wait until after the wedding so you won't feel so guilty/financially strapped/indulgent. The clutch is a luxury while the wedding is for the most part an essential, so spend on what you need to now. It's a timeless classic, so it should be around for awhile.

If you can afford it, I say go for it. But it's not worth upsetting your fiance if he thinks you cant afford it or if the money is better spent towards your wedding and apartment. I think you will always be able to get the bag, but your wedding only comes once. Good luck!

ITA. there's so much stress already with expenses for an upcoming wedding that a bag is really not worth adding to the stress. don't let the price increase be the reason for rushing into getting a bag that might be adding more strain to your fiance/you. let the wedding pass...you could always snag a clutch during the honeymoon, no? guys are usually in a much better/more generous mood the day after the wedding...good luck with everything!

I FELT THE SAME WAY AS YOU DID SHINY! But new great bags are always coming along and it is not worth upsetting your fiance over. My advice would be to wait til after the wedding and then buy a gorgeous Chanel from the new season so that you won't look too spendthrift. Alternatively Can you sell any old bags to make room for a new purchase? I usually do this to avoid having too many.

I don't know... this sounds like a difference in spending habits period if you say your fiance doesn't buy much for himself. I was married to a guy like that once and because he lived so frugal, anything I bought for myself, with my own money, was considered "pissing my money away" (his words). He wanted all of my disposable income to go into a savings account. Eventually this drove a huge wedge between us; him always complaining and me always coming to my own defense.

I'm not saying your marriage will end up this way, and I really do hope that once things settle down he will lighten up a little and allow you the occassional indulgences. The fact that he doesn't get angry and say mean things is good. He's right that it's your money and you should spend it as you wish. Now this is what you need to do when the time comes: if he expresses disappointment in your purchases, let it go. Don't internalize it or dwell on it. That problem lies with him. I definitely agree with everyone who said that the timing is poor. Wedding plans can be very stressful on guys, as they view themselves as the providers for their family and worry about living up to that expectation.

I have to agree that guys don't see any sense in handbags. I was going to purchase the reissue today but not letting him know. Since I have a lot of Black bags, he can't tell the difference anyways.

I would say buy within reason and don't over spend it. Try to put money aside like investing somewhere else.

I've been reading your messages and understand your dilemma.
I was thinking in what I would do.. It depends actually on how many bags you already have. I mean, if you don't have many and you are going to buy a nice clutch or bag for your wedding day anyway, it might as well be a chanel! It will last you a lifetime and like somebody said before it gives extra sentimental (and historical value :smile: It will give just the extra touch to your outfit, so if you will buy it anyway, might as well do it before your wedding..
Also, I'm not sure what the habits in singapore are, but maybe you can ask it for a weddingpresent from your loved ones?
Explain the situation to your fiancee and if he still cannot imagine it in one way or anther, stop thinking about chanel for a while and start thinking in your wedding/decorating your new apartment..
Let jus know what you will decide! (I'm secretly hoping everything will work out and you will have a gorgious white wedding with a gorgious white chanel in your hands, but then again, I'm a sucker for romantic images :biggrin: )

Similar situation exept we already got married and bought an apt in the last year. While I do have the $$ to buy the new e/w bag that I want to get before the increase, DH will be upset. He notices everything. I already bought my timeless clutch last month and i'm trying to rationalize that I'm saving money buy buying before the price hike.

In the end, I'd wait until after your wedding. You never know between now and decemeber what other expenses might come up associated with that.

My husband also doesn't spend much on himself and can't understand why bags are so expensive, but he recognizes that I work hard and that I have earned a few indulgences. He was really anxious about spending around our wedding because there were so many expenses associated with the event. He definately calmed down considerably after the wedding. Considering that weddings are such a stressful time, I probably would not add to the stress if he is against it now and wait until after the wedding.

shiny_hair, even your fiance might not feel happy, he still didn't say bad words and let you do the choice. Isn't that a nice feeling to know the person with whom you will spend the rest of your life is broadminded,loving, and nice? Let him feel the same from you. Don't let the clutch stand between you, your relationship is much more important. It is more practical to consider getting it after your wedding. I echo IdIdb,"don't let the price increase be the reason for rushing into getting a bag that might be adding more strain to your fiance/you". As for the price increase, let the extra free money from guests take care of it! :graucho: I believe you will not feel guilty to buy the clutch then and everybody will be happy!

I say wait to buy the purse until after the wedding (maybe you can buy it in your honeymoon). Let things settle down--wedding plans can be so stressful for a couple. Do you think there's a possibility that he'll buy it for you as a wedding gift? :graucho:...just a thought...

everyone has something they're really into--for us gals, i think it's obvious we're all purseaholics. as long as you're not stretching the budget and this something you really, really want then why not? do what makes you happy. just try to make him understand :smile:

I say wait to buy the purse until after the wedding (maybe you can buy it in your honeymoon). Let things settle down--wedding plans can be so stressful for a couple. Do you think there's a possibility that he'll buy it for you as a wedding gift? :graucho:...just a thought...

i agree! usually the bride and groom buy each other a gift. that'd be pretty good!! :tup: or maybe after all the "fun" on your honeymoon he will feel overwhelmed to buy you a present. :graucho:

Maybe you can buy the clutch and, at the same time, put some money into a savings account or other type of investment, to show your fiance that you understand how to allocate your finances.