My confession: I don't care for the classic flap bags. But why?

The 80's -- oh, I remember the Chanel handbag craze & I was in my teens craving one but ended up with a CONTEMPO version (ha, remember that store!). I felt the same way as you did towards the classic flaps, and started my Chanel collection with the reissues because the chain wasn't threaded with the leather. I then moved into the silver hardware because it didn't remind me of that garish gold so prevalent in the 80s. The classics then started appealing to me in python, because they still have edge over the lambskin or caviar flaps. Took a while, but I think I'm finally at the point of liking just the regular classic flaps now.

I have to agree with you, really! I realize that it is a classic staple, but personally, I don't think it fits me at all. I'd have to sort of...change my style outlook to fit the bag, rather than the bag fitting me, if that makes sense.

I love the look of a classic flap - for me they date back to the '70s. But for everyday practicality it's not the best. Can't dig into it while it's on my shoulder and if I put my cell phone inside, opening it and then closing it ......if ya know what I mean.

I don't care for the classic flaps either. I don't own any flaps, but, I fell in love with that bordeaux reissue...that is one gorgeous bag.
But, as someone said...there is a Chanel style for everyone.:yes:

For me, it is not about the look. The classic flap is a beautiful, classy bag in both caviar and lambskin. I had and returned the dark brown Jumbo caviar with silver hardware not because I didn't love to look at it, but because I found it too cumbersome to use for my everyday lifestyle. I need quick access into and out of my bags. Even when I have a bag that zips I never, ever zip it up, so to have that extra piece of the flap to flip back and forth (plus unclasp and reclasp every time) was getting on my every last nerve. :biggrin:

As a compromise I purchased the Luxury flap. There is no clasp, and the flap part is flexible which makes it much easier to get in and out, even in a hurry.

The 80's -- oh, I remember the Chanel handbag craze & I was in my teens craving one but ended up with a CONTEMPO version (ha, remember that store!). I felt the same way as you did towards the classic flaps, and started my Chanel collection with the reissues because the chain wasn't threaded with the leather. I then moved into the silver hardware because it didn't remind me of that garish gold so prevalent in the 80s. The classics then started appealing to me in python, because they still have edge over the lambskin or caviar flaps. Took a while, but I think I'm finally at the point of liking just the regular classic flaps now.

OMG, I used to LOVE Contempo!!! :roflmfao:

I started out with a Reissue too - it's much funkier. I also think the lux ligne is very modern, very NOW.

I remember Chanel black flaps with the gold hardware in a ton of 80s movies - but you should check out 60s movies (Bond!) - and you'll see a lot of classic flaps too. But the 60s versions were much more subtle - beige with gold or silver.

My friends used to think Chanel were for older women. But after they saw mine...Wow~~ they said~~I did not realize the Chanel IRL could be soooo beautiful! I agree with Lola24: Chanel is always and forever~

I remember when you wanted the PST, I was curious whether you got it. But the east/west flap is soooo chic, I have one too in beige caviar. Enjoy!

Yeah, the double gold chain just isn't for me on the PST, I have a small bag from the timeless CC line with a single gold chain which I can deal with. I still like the PST but the e/w is more my style bag anyway, I have a few LV bags that will suit the purpose of a PST.....maybe in the future....

... because I found it too cumbersome to use for my everyday lifestyle. I need quick access into and out of my bags. Even when I have a bag that zips I never, ever zip it up, so to have that extra piece of the flap to flip back and forth (plus unclasp and reclasp every time) was getting on my every last nerve. :biggrin:

^Ditto. The only classic flap I have is the one in my Avatar and I use that only occasionally.

I never cared for the classic flap until you guys changed my mind! lol
I always thought they were too conservative...but I have the jumbo caviar winter white one now with silver h/w, and i gotta tell you, there's so much chicness in carrying that bag while wearing artfully ripped jeans, a little tshirt, high heels, and a blazer..................(not that we get to wear blazers much here in the tropics :beach: )
in fact, i wish they'd make an oversized classic flap, like, 14-15 inches long................oh, i would definitely want one, and if they would make colors like coral or seafoam green caviar like the Bbag seafoam (am just making this up now, don't get excited :wlae: ) but seriously, can you imagie how cool a very big (but not at all oversized) flap would be? A new sort of classic edgyness. If Chanel ever had a contest to design or suggest their next bag, I would do this one!

Yeah, the double gold chain just isn't for me on the PST, I have a small bag from the timeless CC line with a single gold chain which I can deal with. I still like the PST but the e/w is more my style bag anyway, I have a few LV bags that will suit the purpose of a PST.....maybe in the future....

Ok, just saw a picture of the PST in white, that I like, I guess I wasn't crazy about the black with gold.........maybe one of these days, I'm really happy with what I have now, I'm so glad I got a flap!