Mr Clean Magic eraser question

Bradysmum

Carter and Evan too!
Jan 12, 2007
Ok so my new-to-me vintage speedy is in :yahoo:.

Last night I did one of the handles (I had to take my son to hockey...couldn't resist waiting to see how the eraser would work!) and not the other one as well as the vachetta on the sides. It's completely dry now, if I want to go over it again (have not conditioned it yet) will it ruin it? Or am I safe to give it a go now that it's dry?

I don't know what to tell you - I think I would take it easy. While I know other people have had good luck with magic eraser, I ruined a speedies handles with one. No matter how much conditioning I did, it never got its sheen back and I ended up replacing the handles. I don't touch magic eraser now. Is it not clean enough with the one application? I think I would condition it, and maybe use baby wipes later. Magic eraser is very harsh.

Reactions: Trailrider52
I feel bad for you because in the last thread everyone told you to clean it, and now people are telling you don't. I know everyone is just trying to help. I would just clean the other handles for now. Condition it and see what you think. The only downside I have found to a magic eraser is that it sucks the oil out. Conditioner helps, but it just won't be as shiny as before. I think that is what everyone is talking about. Good luck.

Reactions: Trailrider52
I don't know what to tell you - I think I would take it easy. While I know other people have had good luck with magic eraser, I ruined a speedies handles with one. No matter how much conditioning I did, it never got its sheen back and I ended up replacing the handles. I don't touch magic eraser now. Is it not clean enough with the one application? I think I would condition it, and maybe use baby wipes later. Magic eraser is very harsh.

^^ I agree. I did use one on my vintage Deauville's handles and had limited success with it. So, being brave, I did a test patch on my vintage 45 Keepall, and that patch has lost its luster. :pout: Luckily the spot is in an area on the bottom, so you can't see it. I've used leather conditioner on it, but it's not quite the same.

I'll only use the ME around my house now, not on my bags!
:oh:

Yeah.. I might have ruined the handles on my speedy well /= its not as pretty as the rest of the vachetta . I might get it replaced in a month after I see the results of a conditioner..

While I know other people have had good luck with magic eraser, I ruined a speedies handles with one. No matter how much conditioning

I think I would condition it, and maybe use baby wipes later. Magic eraser is very harsh.

Like Charleston-mom, I won't touch it again. I gave the bag to my daughter because I just couldn't carry it with it's dry handles.

won't ever use them on my bags again. I'd quit while you're ahead.

So, being brave, I did a test patch on my vintage 45 Keepall, and that patch has lost its luster.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I know other people have had good luck with magic eraser, I ruined a speedies handles with one. No matter how much conditioning

I think I would condition it, and maybe use baby wipes later. Magic eraser is very harsh.

Like Charleston-mom, I won't touch it again. I gave the bag to my daughter because I just couldn't carry it with it's dry handles.

won't ever use them on my bags again. I'd quit while you're ahead.

So, being brave, I did a test patch on my vintage 45 Keepall, and that patch has lost its luster.

I agree with all the above! Also - keep it away from vernis -- it sucked the sparkle right off my agenda =(

I use Vaseline's coco butter baby oil gel on my Louis Vuitton leather and its amazing, it keeps its shine and even though it tans it a bit, it slows it down from oxidising further! I clean my bags with an alcohol and perfume free baby wipe and then rub the oil gel into the leather, it keeps my bags beautiful. I also have never had any water damage on my leather because the oil protects it, the trick is to rub it all in evenly and quickly like how you would onto actual skin, to dampen the entire leather that its even when its wet, will also dry that way.

My first mono Alma and Speedy were vintage and the patina was pretty dark--I used the Magic Eraser on the handles and tabs. It definitely removed a lot of the black marks but it really dried the handles. I didn't condition them- I was afraid to darken the leather again so I just left them alone and figured the oils on my hands would darken them naturally. Anyway, the handles eventually got darker again as if I never erased them! It didn't ruin the bags but I got the darkness without a shine back within a month!

I use Vaseline's coco butter baby oil gel on my Louis Vuitton leather and its amazing, it keeps its shine and even though it tans it a bit, it slows it down from oxidising further! I clean my bags with an alcohol and perfume free baby wipe and then rub the oil gel into the leather, it keeps my bags beautiful. I also have never had any water damage on my leather because the oil protects it, the trick is to rub it all in evenly and quickly like how you would onto actual skin, to dampen the entire leather that its even when its wet, will also dry that way.

I don't recommend any kind of oil on vachetta leather. It will ruin it. It also will rot the stitching. It will actually destroy the hide. It breaks down leather. If you talk to an SA, they will warn you about baby oil. It may look pretty right when you do it, but it's really bad for your bag.

The other thing to be aware of using any kind of oil on your vachetta leather, is that it attracts dirt and grime and will cause your leather to get that blackened look much more quickly, and that's a permanent issue because you've damaged the leather itself.

I don't recommend any kind of oil on vachetta leather. It will ruin it. It also will rot the stitching. It will actually destroy the hide. It breaks down leather. If you talk to an SA, they will warn you about baby oil. It may look pretty right when you do it, but it's really bad for your bag.

The other thing to be aware of using any kind of oil on your vachetta leather, is that it attracts dirt and grime and will cause your leather to get that blackened look much more quickly, and that's a permanent issue because you've damaged the leather itself.

I have been a Louis owner for years and have always used the baby oil gel on my vachetta and has kept my bags looking great and it has not rotted the stitching, don't see how its bad for your bag when I've been doing it for years and never had problems with it.