Mr Clean Magic eraser question

Baby oil is known to break down leather and stitching. Saying you've never had a problem is like saying you've never been hit crossing in the middle of the street and night and therefore it's safe. To any posters reading this, please talk to your leather goods manager at your LV boutique before using oil on your vachetta. Please don't take advice from a message board on something as expensive as an LV bag possibly worth thousands of dollars. Always better to be safe than sorry. And always remember that folk lore and home remedies aren't always in your best interests. Get real expert advice first. The way I always look at anonymous home recipes is to ask myself who will bear the brunt of the harm if I follow this advice and it's wrong. If it's me, and it's my bag that's going to potentially be ruined, and the advisor will then only say, "well it never happened to me," that's no real comfort. So I take advice always with a grain of salt with the ultimate knowledge that I'll be crying if the advice was bad. Case in point: all the people that blindly followed advice from posters to use Mr. Clean magic eraser (a harsh household abrasive cleaner) on their vachetta and ruined their handbags listening to people who said, "it always worked for me." Then had to pay hundreds of dollars to replace dried handles that never got their sheen back no matter how much they were conditioned, or sold, gave away or threw away their expensive bags as a result of listening to message board advice. Just go in, and ask your SA , manager or leather goods manager about rubbing baby oil on your handles please first. Then make an informed educated decision based on advice from people with longterm experience caring for and handling LV vachetta. Always remember, the only one hurt and crying with an unbelievably expensive mistake will be you. It's your bag. People giving advice have no stake because it's no loss to them if something bad happens. They won't be the ones replacing the bag. You will.

very wise advice. people will tend to follow the leader when looking for advice and everyone has an opinion, even if it is not an "educated" opinion.
We each need to be informed and responsible when caring for our valued items. No one to blame but ourselves if we choose to follow someone else's advice and have disastrous results.

I used the magic eraser on my MC Keepall 55 and it worked great!! The trick is to use very light strokes in one direction and don't get over zealous. It gave the vachetta a nice even color and removed all the black scuff marks on the bottom of the bag. I noticed that it is a little drying but the leather has already started to turn shiny again after a couple days. I'm waiting for my Loving My Bags LV kit to arrive which includes a moisturizer. Can't wait!!!

i used magic eraser on one of my bags. i got it with its deep patina already, and did not observe the condition well enough before i jumped in quickly with magic eraser and started to scrub it on the underside of handle... and soon the whole thing. i didnt really know what i was trying to achieve--cleanliness? I dont know, eagerness that maybe the bag would somehow be even BETTER after it was done? well, here was what my result was (a newbie to louis vuitton products and overly excited about the rave about magic erasers doing good for it.. cooincidentally i love magic eraser!! so i plunged in): it dried out. yes. before i even got to know my bag, it had already been altered. the honey vachetta turned a fainter shade of dull, dry patina. luckily, i loved the bag so much i thought the handle was pretty! i think my goal was to lighten the appearance of the patina... which.. i suppose it did. all in all, i got the same bag diff pattern and never used ANYTHING on it after research on tpf.. as i hear treating the handle with anything will clean it but ATTRACT dirt. and you know what... ive had the bag for more than half a year (brand new) and even the underside where it is slightly darker does not have subtle appearance of dirt like my other bag! it just looks soooo clean! i know some ladies that just say... take care of the vachetta and dont treat it. it is the original state louis vuitton would have wanted. and i now agree with that for the most part. no more magic eraser for me!!! and as for baby wipes? only in an emergency will i.. and only to blend it in. :smile:

Baby oil is known to break down leather and stitching. Saying you've never had a problem is like saying you've never been hit crossing in the middle of the street and night and therefore it's safe. To any posters reading this, please talk to your leather goods manager at your LV boutique before using oil on your vachetta. Please don't take advice from a message board on something as expensive as an LV bag possibly worth thousands of dollars. Always better to be safe than sorry. And always remember that folk lore and home remedies aren't always in your best interests. Get real expert advice first. The way I always look at anonymous home recipes is to ask myself who will bear the brunt of the harm if I follow this advice and it's wrong. If it's me, and it's my bag that's going to potentially be ruined, and the advisor will then only say, "well it never happened to me," that's no real comfort. So I take advice always with a grain of salt with the ultimate knowledge that I'll be crying if the advice was bad. Case in point: all the people that blindly followed advice from posters to use Mr. Clean magic eraser (a harsh household abrasive cleaner) on their vachetta and ruined their handbags listening to people who said, "it always worked for me." Then had to pay hundreds of dollars to replace dried handles that never got their sheen back no matter how much they were conditioned, or sold, gave away or threw away their expensive bags as a result of listening to message board advice. Just go in, and ask your SA , manager or leather goods manager about rubbing baby oil on your handles please first. Then make an informed educated decision based on advice from people with longterm experience caring for and handling LV vachetta. Always remember, the only one hurt and crying with an unbelievably expensive mistake will be you. It's your bag. People giving advice have no stake because it's no loss to them if something bad happens. They won't be the ones replacing the bag. You will.

amen. thank you for writing that!