Moving to New Jersey...Any advice?

I live in Mt. Laurel too!!!! it's a great town, very safe, good schools, close to everything, 30 min. to philly & 45 min to the shore. just a warning though, i can be quite expensive! other nice towns are cherry hill, marlton, moorestown, voorhees, medford. i am not too familiar w/ central jersey; however, i hear there are very nice towns in that area. also PM me w/ any questions. Good Luck w/ your'e search!

I live in Mt. Laurel too!! Wow, there are a bunch of tPF people in the MTL!:yahoo:

I grew up in South Jersey, 10 minutes from Wilmington, DE. NJ is one of those states where depending on where you are, it's a completely different place. I'm always amazed at the reaction when I tell people I'm from New Jersey. Typically, I get, "really? You don't SOUND like you're from New Jersey." I went to college in Mississippi, and NJ was like MARS to people there. I can pick out a Delaware Valley accent a mile away. (And I don't have one!) I vote Delaware Valley. There are some beautiful areas, and it's not as congested as the northern part of NJ outside NYC.

welcome to NJ. I graduated from The College of NJ:welcome: . Your boyfriend will love working there.
i live just outside of Freehold which works great for PHH as to he has to his job requires him to travel the tristate area often.
i grew up in Northern NJ and must tell you that i love Monmouth County the best. For traveling the tristate area, it is an ideal location. Puts you midway between NYC and Philadelphia while still keeping you close to the shore.
Best of luck to you. Let me know if i can help you with anything:flowers: .

RUN!! Just kidding

I was born in Hackensack Medical Center in Bergen County NJ. I lived in Bergen County my whole life. (Until I moved to NH a couple of years ago)

This is my take: Bergen is cool, easy access to NYC, overall very good schools, low crime rate (the whole county) some very upscale neighborhoods, and moderate income levels as well. But as others have said, it is expensive, silly expensive. If you end up in North Jersey you will be in the wealthiest 50 mile circle in the world.

On a map, if you take and draw a circle, with the middle being northern Manhattan, you will be in terms of house hold income per capita, the RICHEST area in the world!
This is great and horrible. You have the best of almost everything, from medicine to fine dinning, the major draw back, you will pay for it.

South Jersey, say Bricktown, or Ocean county used to be a great alterative, however it to has become very expensive. The bottom line, IMO as long as your income is strong, you will have a lot of nice options, but if your household is very budgeted, it can be very hard to just make ends meets. Some of the major costs that might surprise you are real estate in every way, auto insurance, property taxes, state income tax, sales tax, health insurance, traffic fines, etc.

You can find a nice spot to settle down for a couple of years, but depending where you are from the combined increase in living expenses may be a surprise.

Half of the reason I moved was I wanted more discretionary income available for family fun, savings, and toys.

Good Luck,
Robert