Modified Paraty Strap/Reveal

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! I just received my new black paraty yesterday & it is just gorgeous, but the strap is just way too long, it looks ridiculous on my 5'3" frame. I measured the strap & it is 44" long. My 2011 caramel paraty's strap is 35" long. That is a 9" difference!!

I love the way that my caramel paraty hangs, so I took off my new black paraty's strap, filled out the repair form & am sending it to Modern Leather Goods today to have it shortened. They said on their website that you can mail a bag in so they can repair it. I am having them take off the total 9", 4.5 on each end, because I won't wear mine crossbody & my other paraty hangs at a perfect spot with that length. I also requested to shorten it from the ends.

I am so excited because I love wearing this bag with long strap, but it just looked off on me with the super long version. Darn, I should have taken before & comparison pics. I already boxed the strap up for mailing, sorry guys!

It will be a few weeks before I get the strap back & I will let you know how it turns out!!

Thanks again bisoux!! I would not have known where to go if it were not for you!

Darn, just received my strap back & it now measures 41 & 1/2" long - was 44" inches long. I sent specific directions to take off 4 & 1/2" off on each side totalling 9". The bag sits way too low on me - I don't like how low it is, does not fit my body. Now I need to send it back to have it fixed. Best to go in to shop & have it done. How annoying. But they did a good job with making it look not altered, so I will be happy when they get it right.

Darn, just received my strap back & it now measures 41 & 1/2" long - was 44" inches long. I sent specific directions to take off 4 & 1/2" off on each side totalling 9". The bag sits way too low on me - I don't like how low it is, does not fit my body. Now I need to send it back to have it fixed. Best to go in to shop & have it done. How annoying. But they did a good job with making it look not altered, so I will be happy when they get it right.

Have you gotten it back yet? Hopefully, second time's a charm! :smile:

Have you gotten it back yet? Hopefully, second time's a charm! :smile:

I did not send it back because when I called them and told them about it, the owner who repaired it was very defensive and nasty and insisted that he took off the full 9". He insisted I was wrong and I could not believe how rude he was. I have photos to prove it is still too long as well. I measured it before sending it in (44") and afterwards next to my 35" paraty strap (41 & 1/2") & sure enough - he only took a little over an inch off on each side!! It looks no different on my body. Way too long.

I told him I wanted a refund and he nastily told me "send it back and I will take the remaining length off and then you will be angry when it comes back too short". I could not believe the service. I decided not to send it back because that last comment caused me to think he would intentionally make it too short. I can't tell you how upset I am & lost about $100.00 in the whole deal between the "repair" and shipping. I can post pictures - it is unreal. I also noticed that both ends, although finished very well, are different in size, they don't match up - one is noticably thinner than the other and I cannot even get the strap looped properly into the brass holders on the bag.

My suggestion to anyone is to go in to a repair shop like OP did. She went to the same place & her experience was great. It just bugs me because they claim to fix SJP's bags, Hermes, Chanel, etc. and the awful repair service and with the nasty treatment I got - I would never send a precious expensive bag there. I was glad I had enough brains to not send the bag, just the strap.

Had I looked into it a little more, I would have realized that there is a very highly rated bag repair shop the next town over where they shorten handbag straps....darn. I haven't gotten it over there, but plan on it soon.

Thanks for asking!

Thanks Gem! They actually took off from both of the bottom ends of the strap. I specifically told them not to take it from the middle because I wanted to preserve the flattened mid part of the strap. They did a really good job...I can barely tell that the ends were modified.

For those of you short gals (like me) who are interested in getting their Paraty straps shortened, I had it done at Modern Leather Goods in Manhattan. They specialize in designer handbag repair and restoration. They're also the official repair shop for Samsonite Luggage. Much cheaper and friendlier than the more famous Artbag uptown. HTH

I have an update. I was in NYC and used their services and I'm very pleased with the result (it was repair of Armani bag's strap). Thank you for tip, Bisoux!

Thanks Gem! They actually took off from both of the bottom ends of the strap. I specifically told them not to take it from the middle because I wanted to preserve the flattened mid part of the strap. They did a really good job...I can barely tell that the ends were modified.

For those of you short gals (like me) who are interested in getting their Paraty straps shortened, I had it done at Modern Leather Goods in Manhattan. They specialize in designer handbag repair and restoration. They're also the official repair shop for Samsonite Luggage. Much cheaper and friendlier than the more famous Artbag uptown. HTH

Thanks for this info! I am planning on getting a paraty within the next month or so but was worried about how the longer strap would be on my 5'2" frame.

Had I gone into the store, I am sure my result would have been better, like you ladies. I learned from this. Do not send your bag in! I even gave very specific details.

It also depends on who fixes it. Some people had a great experience there, others on a popular review site, not at all. I cannot believe a professional did my strap. So moral of story - go into the store & show them what you want!

I do realize OP had a beautiful job done from the same repair shop & Gemsberry as well, but just to beware his was my result. I hope not to offend anyone, but also felt the need to warn about my experience. Their website claims people from all over the world mail in their Hermes, Chanel, etc. to be repaired. I would never again mail in an expensive item for repair. I told them it was a Chloe Paraty as well. I was also treated very rudely by the man who repaired it (said he was a owner). When I called to tell him about the problem he instantly became very defensive, insisted he did too take off the amount I asked & told me "go ahead mail it back to him, but will be angry when it comes back too short". Never got a refund either. To me that is bad customer service.

This picture shows the difference in length from my old paraty strap - the one I measured & told them the length I wanted it to be 4 1/2" off each side. Look at the difference when it came back! It looked the same length as when I sent it in take away an inch or 2.

photo-6.JPG

This picture shows the original look of the paraty strap - caramel color on right - the way the black one looked when I sent it in. Wouldn't a good repairman know to make the end result look like the beginning result? All he had to do was look at the other end to model the first end! I can't even fit it into the rings attached to the bag & the leather rings won't fit around it. Look at the difference in the room on the ends. It is also too thick. Look how nice & thin the original paraty end is & look at how thick they made mine. Like I said, it doesn't even fit into the ring that attaches to the bag.

photo-5.JPG

Two different looking ends - the fold on one is longer than the other & the width is also not even.

photo-4.JPG

Last edited: