Mixed feelings about rising prices in Coach bags

While I love some the bags at the FP store. I can't afford to spend even $400 on a bag. I rely on ebay and the outlet. I also rely on you lovely ladies to show your awesome reveals. I get just as happy seeing someone else get there dream bag as I would myself. I feel like for myself I have a well rounded collection a coach for every occasion. I have been getting more accessories lately and that seems to feed my addition LOL. I'm bidding on a bag on ebay now. I must add a purple bag to my collection for my christmas gift to myself, haven't quite found the perfect one yet.

Don't get me wrong, I love Coach bags. And I do understand that their bags, overall, are priced cheaper than other designer brands, even at $700 a bag. What aggravates me is that other brands might be classic and stand the test of time in quality and style (lasting 10+ years or more) and can ask $1,000+ prices on bags and be well warranted for doing so, I don't feel that Coach is in the same bracket (obviously).

I know all brands will have some bad apples as far as quality in some bags but recently Coach has had quite a few and we see it daily. So, for that issue, I don't think they are doing their customers right by raising prices if they aren't going to raise the quality. KWIM?

And again, I love Coach too and don't mean to offend anyone by my post. ;)

It sounds like Coach might be attempting to create a bigger separation between the target customers of their FP boutique products and the target cutomers for their factory store items. Since business is picking up, they will probably limit the FP deletes as well, by limiting intial production. A possible attempt to regain some lost status in the business - thus thier new high end Krakoff brand label to further separate thier target customers. Higher costs = more exclusivity
As far as quality I suppose that is a matter of opinion and personal experience, even with the others brands and it is not directly in line with quality ( tho it should be).
Additionallly, the cost of labor is also not the only thing that effects price increases.

Well take a look at the prices of their shoes. They had some shoes come out not that long ago with high prices and now they are on sale online! They are going to realize that a lot of people who purchase Coach will not pay those prices for Coach because they get too close to the price of other high end designers starting off pieces, therefore giving that customer more choices to make if they are same price points. Just my opinion....

I agree with the other ladies in this thread; Coach is probably increasing their prices because we're exiting a recession and also because they want to distinguish their target market.

I'm not an expert by any means but I AM a business student, so here's my hypothesis. The first point is that in an expansionary period, people are more willing to spend. Because people aren't counting their pennies as much, companies know that they can increase their prices.

Furthermore, my guess is that the increasing popularity of Coach handbags has caused a strain on their capacity; they can't produce products fast enough. They might letting lower quality products slip by because they want to meet customer demands. This might explain why they have been producing low quality handbags lately.

In order to prevent the Coach brand from being diluted and therefore, lose its' exclusiveness, they are making it more expensive to purchase their "good" products. This separates the people who buy FP deletes at outlets from the hardcore Coach fanatics who are willing to pay the higher costs. This change in pricing strategy would further distinguish them as a 'designer label' instead of just a common brand.

In any case, this was just an opinion/hypothesis. I hope this is not offensive in any way!

p.s. if you're wondering, I probably won't be buying the $798 purses if that happens. As a business student, I just can't afford it! :O

I have my doubts too. I was so excited about the spring preview,but I dont think my poor wallet can take it. If im gonna spend another grand on purses I'd rather get one with higher quality

I personally won't buy any bag that costs more than $400 FP, and even then I only buy with PCE ... it's just my comfort zone beyond which the bag isn't worth it to me, and I know I'd be too paranoid to ever carry it for fear of something happening to it. That said, I think some of the new bags come out in the bigger or "fancier" styles first, then later Coach fills in smaller (and cheaper) sizes and styles. Like the Dylan bags I thought were priced way too high until I saw how huge they were ... I'm hoping Coach will come out with smaller versions for around $300-$400 down the road. And remember the original Kristins were something like $600 or $700 something?

I have my doubts too. I was so excited about the spring preview,but I dont think my poor wallet can take it. If im gonna spend another grand on purses I'd rather get one with higher quality

ITA. Coach is going to have to prove to me that their bags are worth $700 to $800 & that their quality has improved before I spend that much on bags in the future. Also, the fact that they have increased their prices but have decreased the amount of PCE's they actually issue from corporate (as well as their erratic formula for whom they send them to), is discouraging me from investing the large sums of money they are now asking for some of their products.

i agree, i dont want to spent more than 350-400$ on a bag. coach really aggrivates me alot lately. they are putting out gorgeous bags but the leather dye fades very very fast,or if you get a small scuff it reveals white or a nude color underneath. this shows me they are using crappy dye,more like a top coat not a dye that soaks in the leather. see if i had a bag that was older and had corner wear/rubbing i could condition it and it will look close to if not new again. now if it happens to a newer coach bag it will look awful. it will stay the light color. sorry i bring this up alot but it just ticks me off. i baby my bags so i think this is just not cool! lol.

I would be willing to pay up to $700 for a Legacy leather bag from a number of years back...loved the thick leather and workmanship and detailed stitching....uhmmm....can only dream of it's return...