MINKIE CHAT THREAD ..... Let's chat! (4)

I recently bought my first MAM from the Real Real - thanks again Antonia for encouraging me! It was a steal at $51 all in (including shipping and tax, with a coupon). I wanted one of these SO BADLY back in 2008/2009 but couldn't afford/justify it, so I'm thrilled to have one now! Turns out I just had to wait 15 years! :lol: I sought out a MAM with soft, somewhat textured leather and the chunky zippers because I have a very well-loved MAC with those features that is like an old friend to me - it was my 2010 splurge and was my only purse other than a school tote for several years.

The Real Real said that this bag's condition was "good" and listed a lot of flaws, but I think it's in great shape! Some hardware scuffing and a bit of interior discoloration but no major issues - much better than I expected. I did wash the interior and apply some leather conditioner when I received it.

Photos!

IMG_4729.jpg
It did come with the tassels but I prefer to remove them (I know, blasphemy).
IMG_4728.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg

Here's my old MAC borrowing MAM's strap for a new and less blingy look:
IMG_4731.jpg

And with its original strap:
IMG_4733.jpg

On a related note, would Brasso or any other polishing agent help with this tarnished hardware? I loved this bag HARD for years (and I was younger and less careful with my stuff then...) so it's looking rough.
IMG_4734.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you. I have the same bag with the blue zipper track and floral lining (but MAB). Glad TRR worked out for you. From what I understand, they're hit and miss. I've gotten a couple of bags from them that were better than described. Enjoy your long awaited MAM.

I recently bought my first MAM from the Real Real - thanks again Antonia for encouraging me! It was a steal at $51 all in (including shipping and tax, with a coupon). I wanted one of these SO BADLY back in 2008/2009 but couldn't afford/justify it, so I'm thrilled to have one now! Turns out I just had to wait 15 years! :lol: I sought out a MAM with soft, somewhat textured leather and the chunky zippers because I have a very well-loved MAC with those features that is like an old friend to me - it was my 2010 splurge and was my only purse other than a school tote for several years.

The Real Real said that this bag's condition was "good" and listed a lot of flaws, but I think it's in great shape! Some hardware scuffing and a bit of interior discoloration but no major issues - much better than I expected. I did wash the interior and apply some leather conditioner when I received it.

Photos!

View attachment 5738219
View attachment 5738220
View attachment 5738221

View attachment 5738222

View attachment 5738223

On a related note, would Brasso or any other polishing agent help with this tarnished hardware? I loved this bag HARD for years (and I was younger and less careful with my stuff then...) so it's looking rough.
View attachment 5738224
What lovely bags! That blue zipper gets me every time!

Reactions: sdkitty

Photos!

View attachment 5738219
View attachment 5738220
View attachment 5738221

View attachment 5738222

View attachment 5738223

View attachment 5738224
YAY!!!! Congrats! She's beautiful!! I always ZOOM into the pics on TRR because then you can really check out the condition of the bag. When I looked at the listing you posted, it appeared to be in very good shape AND really, at that price, you can't go wrong!! So happy it worked out!!! :smile:

Any current personal recommendations for extra leather straps for your bags? Looking for good ones for my older MAMs in particular, so not too thin or long. Looking at Cuyana, but they have limited colors.
Check out Portland Leather‘s “Triangle Bag Crossbody Strap.” They come in a variety of colors and are $20 USD. They are adjustable. Portlandleathergoods.com

• Love
Reactions: LipglossedX
Question…for those who have the larger MAB and the mini MAB (are these the right names?) which do you prefer? Is the larger one too large?
I prefer the larger one. I think a lot here also do. The large MAB has a larger outside pocket and carries better on the shoulder. But some here have both. I think the season and the leather makes a big difference here. So possibly some who prefer the large will also go for a mini if it's great leather.
Is the large too large? that's an individual choice. I find sometimes I love a large bag for function but have doubts about it in proporation to my size (5'4")

Reactions: coachlover90
I prefer the larger one. I think a lot here also do. The large MAB has a larger outside pocket and carries better on the shoulder. But some here have both. I think the season and the leather makes a big difference here. So possibly some who prefer the large will also go for a mini if it's great leather.
Is the large too large? that's an individual choice. I find sometimes I love a large bag for function but have doubts about it in proporation to my size (5'4")
Good to know about shoulder wear! That’s important to me too. Thanks for the input!