Mini Rectangular Flap (Wear & Tear), Pros & Cons??

Do you recommend the rectangular mini flap as a first purchase?

• Total voters
Hi I recently bought a mini rectangle at a reputable seller. It’s my first
LAmbskin so I don’t really know what to expect. The bag is 24 series. Everything else looks pristine but I am just wondering about the wear and tear on the chain strap. Front and back of the strap looks good, I’m just wondering about the “seam” if it’s normal. Thanks

Attachments

• FC76F5D3-4EF7-4804-95A0-44D9515ECD4C.jpeg
    FC76F5D3-4EF7-4804-95A0-44D9515ECD4C.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 9E8CE10C-FF95-4507-A3C8-BE9A49CCE841.jpeg
    9E8CE10C-FF95-4507-A3C8-BE9A49CCE841.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 116
  • E7A4DB3F-D403-469B-BE96-FF740D6F2C26.jpeg
    E7A4DB3F-D403-469B-BE96-FF740D6F2C26.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 113
Over the years, I have purchased lambskin and caviar minis. Back then the pricing ( about SGD3k plus) was much more justifiable for the quality. Personally, my older lamb minis have aged well over the years. They do have minor scratch marks but the quilts are still very puffy. Never had any chain twisting issues too. The texture of the lamb and buttery leather scent are kinda different from the recent pieces that I bought. I had to reject a few pieces because the “supposed” new bags already have much creases or flatten quilts or overly tight stitching or chain twisting that I couldn’t accept. Especially when they are priced at about SGD 6k now. However, I still bit the bullet a couple of times when I was offered very pretty colours :P

As much as I feel that minis complement my petite frame well and is easy to store my belongings, I do find the chains weighing into my shoulder after several hours of wearing it.

Personally, I reach out for my caviar minis the most, in fact my other caviar bags are more often used too because I can be quick rough with bags. But, my husband prefer Chanel lambs as they are classier.

Last edited:
Minis seem to be all the rage these days! I went into the Chanel Soho store looking for a grey boy bag mini and walked away with an iridescent classic flap mini lol. This is my second Chanel (first one is a medium double flap in black caviar and gold hardware), and I’m on the fence about whether this is a good investment piece with long term value. Appreciate any advice!9739B780-FF10-4A28-85CB-809BD25F3A96.jpeg

I bought an SO black mini chevron reissue as a walk in at the Madison Avenue boutique when hardly anyone else was shopping, during summer 2020. Back then I had a choice of minis. It’s very durable and shows very little wear. But I don’t wear my chanel bags as much as my Hermes bags. (I wore mainly chanel until 2008 when I gradually switched to Hermes). I don’t think of bags as investment; rather, do I love it and will I wear it. So I get my return back with cost per wear. I personally prefer the mini to the WOC, but every person is different :smile:

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips on how to find mini's? I am jumping onto this thread too b/c I am also looking to buy my first chanel bag and would like a mini rectangle. I want leather not tweed and so far I haven't been able to find any in the boutiques!

Does anyone have any tips on how to find mini's? I am jumping onto this thread too b/c I am also looking to buy my first chanel bag and would like a mini rectangle. I want leather not tweed and so far I haven't been able to find any in the boutiques!
Find a friendly SA and ask to be on a waitlist. There’s usually a waitlist (long or short) for the black mini rectangular. Or keep an eye on the stock thread.

Reactions: TPFer2015 and ksony
The mini is a great bag. I hope that you find one you love!

I have had such good luck with Chanel bags in Caviar for wear and tear. They are pretty resilient. You might consider watching for a preloved caviar in very nice condition in addition to watching for a new bag at boutiques... See what you find!

I have also been debating between the mini and the boy bag recently. Was leaning to towards the mini because I think lambskin is so beautiful but saw the new mini boy bag and think that is so cool as well. Now I’m so conflicted and not sure it would be possible to find either of them anyways.

I have a mini rectangular in tweed- it's a loose weave so there are a few threads sticking out but it's supposed to be like that. I accidentally scratched the interior when I was trying to shorten the strap (I'm also 5'1'') but it is not very noticeable. I often also double up the strap to wear over the shoulder. I personally love the shape of the rectangular over the square and I think the mini is a very classic look.

I have 6 mini flaps (square, rectangular and top handle). All of them are lambskin except for one in crumpled calfskin and one is iridescent lamb. I've always wanted a mini caviar but I don't like the super long strap, newer rectangular minis have shorter straps though. If I were 5'5" and above, the strap wouldn't bother me as much.

As much as I love lamb, I have to say it's delicate and you DO have to baby it. All of mine have scratches inside and outside the flap and creases where the flap opens and closes, but it's unavoidable/natural with lamb. Older lamb is more durable than newer lamb unfortunately. Iridescent leather is harder to take care of. Once it's scuffed, it's done. Leather surgeons can repair it but color won't be the same :sad:

Right now in the market, calfskin minis are the most durable but you buy what you love. I don't wear Chanel everyday and I rotate my bags pretty often so lambskin doesn't bother me much! Good luck!

Reactions: bagaholic1