Mini Rectangular Flap (Wear & Tear), Pros & Cons??

Do you recommend the rectangular mini flap as a first purchase?

• Total voters

kimmy019

Nov 16, 2020
Hi all, I'm looking into buying my first Chanel bag as a casual, everyday bag. For reference, I'm in my early 20's, 5'2. At first, I was debating between the black classic medium boy bag vs. the black mini flap bag (silver hardware, lambskin). However, from reading some reviews, there seem to be more "cons" about the boy bag such as the heaviness of bag, wear & tear, chain always getting stuck in the hair, so I'm leaning towards the mini flap.

Any mini flap owners that have had any issues? Please share your positive/negative experiences with the wear & tear (e.g., any problems with the stitching, chain, bag structure, etc.).

Thank you in advance!

Chanel_-_Mini_Black_Classic_Flap_Bag_Silver_Hardware_-_Front_abc2daa6-e58b-4947-a274-71b871f8...jpeg

Last edited:
Are you considering lamb skin, caviar, or another material? I adore the versatility of my mini flap, and the convenience of getting things in and out. It’s surprisingly roomy too. In caviar my corners have not worn faster or slower than other caviar bags, they’ve all been pretty good. I can’t speak for other materials.

The biggest issue is I’ve seen really beat up minis that look to have been overstuffed with heavy or puffy items (sides have lost their shape, base is bowed). The mini doesn’t have that inner flap or the rigidity of the boy bag to help keep its shape.

Are you considering lamb skin, caviar, or another material? I adore the versatility of my mini flap, and the convenience of getting things in and out. It’s surprisingly roomy too. In caviar my corners have not worn faster or slower than other caviar bags, they’ve all been pretty good. I can’t speak for other materials.

The biggest issue is I’ve seen really beat up minis that look to have been overstuffed with heavy or puffy items (sides have lost their shape, base is bowed). The mini doesn’t have that inner flap or the rigidity of the boy bag to help keep its shape.

I hear they don't make caviar mini's anymore :sad: So, I would consider the lambskin as my next, best option. I'm glad to hear that your flap has been holding up well. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Jellybean111
I hear they don't make caviar mini's anymore :sad: So, I would consider the lambskin as my next, best option. I'm glad to hear that your flap has been holding up well. Thanks for sharing!
no problem! I bought preloved (justified it as being less than the price of a boy bag lol) so there was also at least one owner’s wear/tear before mine. Good luck with the search!

Reactions: Pchul and kimmy019
Hi all, I'm looking into buying my first Chanel bag as a casual, everyday bag. For reference, I'm in my early 20's, 5'2. At first, I was debating between the black classic medium boy bag vs. the black mini flap bag (silver hardware, lambskin). However, from reading some reviews, there seem to be more "cons" about the boy bag such as the heaviness of bag, wear & tear, chain always getting stuck in the hair, so I'm leaning towards the mini flap.

Any mini flap owners that have had any issues? Please share your positive/negative experiences with the wear & tear (e.g., any problems with the stitching, chain, bag structure, etc.).

You have to visit negotiations in Canada https://apex2016.com/ Thank you in advance!

View attachment 5022426
Never noticed any issues. Definitely worth to buy if you don't own one yet.

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 5022426
I just added a few minis over this past 14 months. I love the size as it has the same capacity as a small CF and $2200 less. I also love them for crossbody wear. I don't think lambskin is as delicate as people think. I don't throw my bags around but also don't baby them either. I'm just mindful. I have a boy bag as well but have been reaching for my minis more lately.

I just added a few minis over this past 14 months. I love the size as it has the same capacity as a small CF and $2200 less. I also love them for crossbody wear. I don't think lambskin is as delicate as people think. I don't throw my bags around but also don't baby them either. I'm just mindful. I have a boy bag as well but have been reaching for my minis more lately.
That's good to know! Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: Pchul
I have 10 mini rectangular. It’s all I have because I’m so petite, they just fit me best and I love crossbody.
I have iridescent, lamb and caviar.
The lamb, I have scratched with my nail on accident so I do see them on my bags. They are fragile which I hate because I can be harsh.
The caviar are still in perfect condition and they are much more durable.
the iridescent is more for special occasions.

do not overstuff your bags.
keep minimal things when wearing it.
stuff bag with tissue paper when storing them.

I have 10 mini rectangular. It’s all I have because I’m so petite, they just fit me best and I love crossbody.
I have iridescent, lamb and caviar.
The lamb, I have scratched with my nail on accident so I do see them on my bags. They are fragile which I hate because I can be harsh.
The caviar are still in perfect condition and they are much more durable.
the iridescent is more for special occasions.

do not overstuff your bags.
keep minimal things when wearing it.
stuff bag with tissue paper when storing them.
good to note, thanks for sharing!

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 5022426
i love mini rectangular as they are so perfect for crossbody and yet roomy to put a lot of stuff inside!!it's only a pity that they dun produce it in caviar anymore..

Thank you in advance!

View attachment 5022426

I can totally relate to you: I'm 5'0 which is why I was drawn to the minis first before any other sizes. I own 1 in black lambskin with gold hardware and I love it! I have to admit I would prefer the caviar but since Chanel doesn't make those anymore, I'm fine with lamb too. My initial intention was to use it for nightouts but then the pandemic hit not long after I bought the bag. Since I refuse to wait any longer to try out this new baby, I've started to use them for casual errands - I find they are roomy enough to fit all my essentials AND elevate my tee+jeans look.
In terms of wear and tear, yes they can be a little fragile: I notice the flaps started to crease when I open the bag despite not having used it frequently, and they can be prone to scratches. But then again the smooth lamb is really beautiful so personally I'm ok with the challenge.
Also another factor that you have to weigh in is that mini rec's strap is pretty long, so I would have to tie it in under the flap with a little ribbon/clip to make it sit nicely on my hip.

Last edited:
I can totally relate to you: I'm 5'0 which is why I was drawn to the minis first before any other sizes. I own 1 in black lambskin with gold hardware and I love it! I have to admit I would prefer the caviar but since Chanel doesn't make those anymore, I'm fine with lamb too. My initial intention was to use it for nightouts but then the pandemic hit not long after I bought the bag. Since I refuse to wait any longer to try out this new baby, I've started to use them for casual errands - I find they are roomy enough to fit all my essentials AND elevate my tee+jeans look.
In terms of wear and tear, yes they can be a little fragile: I notice the flaps started to crease when I open the bag despite not having used it frequently, and they can be prone to scratches. But then again the smooth lamb is really beautiful so personally I'm ok with the challenge.
Also another factor that you have to weigh in is that mini rec's strap is pretty long, so I would have to tie it in under the flap with a little ribbon/clip to make it sit nicely on my hip.
Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that lambskin is quite delicate, but to your point, it'd pain me that the flaps would crease easily and prone to scratches especially considering that you haven't used it that much! Visually, I love how the lambskin looks as well :smile: I've added myself to the waitlist, hopefully, I can check it out soon. Would you say a pair of sunglasses would fit??

Reactions: Pchul
Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that lambskin is quite delicate, but to your point, it'd pain me that the flaps would crease easily and prone to scratches especially considering that you haven't used it that much! Visually, I love how the lambskin looks as well :smile: I've added myself to the waitlist, hopefully, I can check it out soon. Would you say a pair of sunglasses would fit??

Yes a pair of shades will fit very comfortably ;)

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-25 at 23.08.49 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-03-25 at 23.08.49.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Pchul and kimmy019