Mini Rectangular Flap (Wear & Tear), Pros & Cons??

Do you recommend the rectangular mini flap as a first purchase?

• Total voters
After searching for a pre-owned caviar mini (dream bag) I eventually waitlisted for a black Lambskin with light gold hardware. It took 6 months and it’s beautiful I love it, but I am really concerned with wear and tear. I’ve carried the bag about 5 times in 8 months. My plan was to keep it and sell once I was ready to pay for a small CF in caviar but the new increases have me second guessing that. Not sure the quality is there for almost 9k. I’m really confused now I don’t want a bag that just sits on shelf and I don’t find myself reaching for it out of fear of scratching and that flap is already showing creases.

• Sad
Reactions: lunabear101
After searching for a pre-owned caviar mini (dream bag) I eventually waitlisted for a black Lambskin with light gold hardware. It took 6 months and it’s beautiful I love it, but I am really concerned with wear and tear. I’ve carried the bag about 5 times in 8 months. My plan was to keep it and sell once I was ready to pay for a small CF in caviar but the new increases have me second guessing that. Not sure the quality is there for almost 9k. I’m really confused now I don’t want a bag that just sits on shelf and I don’t find myself reaching for it out of fear of scratching and that flap is already showing creases.
Perhaps sell it and continue looking for a pre owned mini in caviar?

I think the mini is definitely more useful than a classic small. How ever, I am not too crazy about the quality of Chanel caviar. I have a picture my collection of mini flaps and frankly I don’t wear any of them. I sort of feel like I aged out of using them. My raspberry pink 18b one is showing signs of edge wear and all that bag does is sit on a shelf. So, I don’t know if they really are that useful.

E458235F-4CDF-467C-8BC3-F508EDF16410.jpeg

I’ve had good luck with lambskin, but if I wear a chanel bag these days it’s usually aged calf mini reissue
Mine is very durable.

Like @Tykhe, I wear a chanel bag very rarely. I dislike wearing a chanel bag with chanel RTW
because it becomes too head to toe designer.

I am not really a fan of caviar; to me it doesn’t look luxurious

Reactions: a_b_c
Yeah, agreed with @880 Ever since I started buying Chanel rtw my friends have encouraged me to give up Chanel bags. Luckily, I haven’t purchased a Chanel bag for several years now so perhaps I have finally kicked the habit.

Also, even though it is true that lamb skin looks more luxurious my small lamb skin flap will scratch if I so much as look at it the wrong way. I have owned that bag for almost 20 years, it has been out of the house all of one time. It was a trip to Woodbury commons many years ago and that was it. I guess that is what it takes for something to become a Chanel “investment bag.” You have to keep it on a shelf.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 880
Last year I purchased two Chanel Mini Rectangular Flaps, an SO Black Lambskin and a Metallic Silver (color is called Ruthenium) Lambskin, both from Fashionphile. The SO Black was in excellent condition and the Silver was brand new. Both bags are smashing, and get used frequently. I toyed with the idea of adding another (or more) Mini Rectangular Flap and decided that these two really cover all the bases for me.

The crazy thing about Chanel's caviar and lambskin leathers is that the quality varies from year to year. This year, directly from a Chanel Boutique, I purchased and returned a Black Lambskin WOC. It had some sort of coating on the leather intended (per my SA) to make it more durable. Absolutely awful, in my opinion. I then purchased, again directly from a Chanel Boutique, the identical WOC in caviar. Absolutely gorgeous caviar. Total crap shoot from year to year.

I think the mini is definitely more useful than a classic small. How ever, I am not too crazy about the quality of Chanel caviar. I have a picture my collection of mini flaps and frankly I don’t wear any of them. I sort of feel like I aged out of using them. My raspberry pink 18b one is showing signs of edge wear and all that bag does is sit on a shelf. So, I don’t know if they really are that useful.

View attachment 5795858
Your collection is so pretty! What color name/season is the square one in the middle? Such a pretty color!

What do folks think about the 23A mini flap bags with the wood chain detail? I'm a guy thinking about going a little edgier with my fashion choices and I like the more gender-neutral touch of the wood chain vs the metal/leather chains on the regular bags. My SA told me this bag also comes in black with the dark brown wood but I think a pop of color might be fun.

1686438913532.png