Michael Fassbender

For people who aren't familiar with Wenders. He was huge back in the 80/90s. Very artistic movies, the ones that you either love or hate them. His best movie was Paris, Texas with Natasha Kinski and Buena Vista Social Club which is about Cuba and its music. He directed a U2 video, "Stay", when U2 were still relevant. After that he directed movies, documentaries etc, unfortunately he never achieved his previous success. When I read his name I was actually surprised, I haven't heard anything in years about his job. Really a strange choice for him.

He's actually working quite a lot in recent years again. He had a huge hit in his native Germany with Palermo Shooting. Then he had a big festival run with Pina (consequently an Oscar nod) and last year he was also nominated for an Oscar for his documentary The Salt of the Earth.
He gets mentioned in one breathe with Rainer Werner Fassbinder and Werner Herzog, and had the support of Francis Ford Coppola. So to call him a nobody is exaggerated and a lot of people in the industry would disagree. James and Alicia are surely happy to work with him especially since he's not doing many feature films anymore in recent years.

And his "Wings of Desire" was remade into "City of Angels" with Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan. I preferred the Wenders original.

Which gave him a Best Director award in Cannes.

He's actually working quite a lot in recent years again. He had a huge hit in his native Germany with Palermo Shooting. Then he had a big festival run with Pina (consequently an Oscar nod) and last year he was also nominated for an Oscar for his documentary The Salt of the Earth.
He gets mentioned in one breathe with Rainer Werner Fassbinder and Werner Herzog, and had the support of Francis Ford Coppola. So to call him a nobody is exaggerated and a lot of people in the industry would disagree. James and Alicia are surely happy to work with him especially since he's not doing many feature films anymore in recent years.

Which gave him a Best Director award in Cannes.

I wasn't saying he is a nobody. But his fame (at least from the past years and in my opinion) isn't at the level as before. Anyone should be happy to work with him. Still I think it's a different kind of movie for him.

Is Alicia holding Michael's jacket? I've seen her do that in other pics. Sweet. They look happy.
Are you sure?:lol:
He is in Almería, :biggrin: to shoot AC... More sightings https://twitter.com/Marinita_ER
Thanks. :smile:
I told people here months ago that the US reviews for Macbeth were going to be much worse than they were in the UK and a particular someone here pooh-poohed me. Well, looks like I was right.
Eldestein is harsh.. Those who don't like the movie have generally some nice words for the performances,or at least for his performance (even some godards during the festival). It seems like he's blaming the actors,when I've always seen other critics taking issue with Kurzel's approach to the subject. Even some of the British critics who wrote favorable reviews hinted at the fact that Kurzel opted for a more naturalistic register,downplaying the importance of the text. Slant is more in line with Wesley Morris:
With his Macbeth, director Justin Kurzel—ambitiously tackling Shakespeare after only one other film, 2011's true-crime saga The Snowtown Murders—at first appears to be attempting to express a similarly contemporary energy: A furiously violent early set piece depicts gladiatorial combatants lunging at each other, grunting and in slow-motion, in a 300-style, parting-of-the-Red-Sea-like formation. But aside from an even more hellish, fetishistically aestheticized finale, Kurzel's tactics here tend to skew more traditional.
Macbeth's failings really lie with Kurzel, who proves time and again why directors like Fiennes and Luhrmann—or, more recently, Matías Piñeiro—have used their camera to reshape the meaning and the feeling behind Shakespeare's prose. Scene after scene of tediously rehearsed recitation just gets dull, and it wants for compliment here in the production team's dimly lit, sparsely decorated set design. Throughout, Kurzel's stagey pretensions clash with each of his aesthetic choices, from the intimate realism of his interiors to his ultraviolent battlefield set pieces, anachronisms that evoke no other impression of the director so much as an arthouse Zack Snyder.
New Yorker:
The problem is not that Kurzel cuts the words, which is his absolute right, but that he destroys the conditions from which they might conceivably have sprung. We need some reminder, however fleeting, that there was a time when the natural order prevailed. No such luck. There is not a wisp of delicacy here, and no castle, either, merely a gaggle of tents, pitched like nomads’ dwellings in a bare land. You want to ask, “Is it worth killing, and inviting damnation, just for the chance to rule this wilderness?”
When you think of Fassbender, and of his rise in recent years, you picture an action man—smearing his cell walls, in “Hunger” (2008), sating his galloping lusts, in “Shame” (2011), or meting out a fevered flogging, in “12 Years a Slave” (2013). He is not, primarily, a man of words, and you get the feeling, in “Macbeth,” that they have to be dragged unwillingly from his mouth. Death scares him less than declamation. In fact, the whole company of actors seems embarrassed by—or warned against—anything that smacks of rhetorical esprit, and anyone watching the movie, but not knowing the play, might have no idea that it was written in verse. Any glint of lyrical wealth would have spoiled the impoverished mood: such, at least, is Kurzel’s calculation, and you can hear the ghost of Orson Welles, a zealot of the orotund, chuckling richly at such a drab conceit.

Hence the odd sensation as the new film nears its end. By this stage, the world that Shakespeare reveals is an exhausted one, drained to the lees, yet Kurzel is braced by the prospect of a final fight.

The Village Voice
(very positive):
This isn't a film of soliloquies, it's one of conflagrations, from the torches to the stake-burnings to the end-of-all-things finale, when it's not enough that Birnam Wood marches on Macbeth's cheerless seaside hold — here comes the heat-lamp sky of hell itself. (The film is extravagantly color-filtered; the violence, while un-shy about blood, is just a hair more brutal than what you might see in a Hobbit or the NFL.)

Fassbender, tigerish yet haunted, takes a knee on the climactic speech.
So this Macbeth will enjoy a long post-theatrical afterlife of not being much help for high school students. (If they want their Scottish play bloody and mad they should try Polanski's film; if they want the test-prep and the full heart and horror of the thing, they should try Trevor Nunn's 1978 Royal Shakespeare production, with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench, available in full on YouTube.) Here, Marion Cotillard, as the brains behind the grisly business of thane-promotion, finds all the grim power in the lines about ripping a baby from her nipple and dashing its brains out, but Michael Fassbender, so tigerish yet haunted throughout, takes a knee on the climactic tomorrow/tomorrow/tomorrow speech. It's as if he and Kurzel have decided that it's enough just to get this most despairing of all verse spoken out loud. Fassbender's Macbeth, undone by news of a death that wasn't his doing, delivers the famous lines as if they're something he long ago committed to memory, like you might have done in college, and as though precisely recalling and enunciating them is all that is keeping him sane. He could be running through a multiplication table.

Kurzel's film, and all its gloomy tableaux, is a troubled dream arising from the text — not just another setting for it.

The verse is mostly spoken in whiskery whisper, sometimes in drifty Malickian voiceover, over the slabbed droning of Jed Kurzel's tense score. (He's the director's brother.) The witches murmur; Macduff (Sean Harris) growls out the news of his unconventional womb-ripping as if it's something he'd prefer to keep quiet; Macbeth and his Lady get each other off as they plot, their hands busy under their shifts, but they still keep it quiet. At almost all moments, as they consult and consort, we see a candle lit in the shadows beneath them. We might not catch all the words, but there's no mistaking what that light means — or that the darkness will overwhelm it.

Anne Thompson has updated her predictions: http://www.goldderby.com/AnneThompson/mypredictions/

Thanks for posting this. Strange that the fan account did not give a source for the picture.

Poor Alicia must be feeling totally and completely violated now that pictures of her private life that she always intends to keep so private are leaking out in the open. :sad:

Lol, the reason the source wasn't given was almost certainly because the photo was taken from Michael's friend's Instagram and circulated without permission. It seems some fans follow both Michael and Alicia's friends and hence come across photos where neither are tagged. Most of her friends have set their Instagram accounts to private in recent months to stop people circulating private photos, and Michael's friends and family too. However there are people who started following them beforehand who can still see their pics.'

I'm sure Alicia is philosophical about the odd photo leaking out now and then, Michael too. They understand there's an interest about them both as individuals and as a couple. Alicia will also be aware there is a new interest about her since she became Michael's girlfriend. Guess it's a small price to pay for having a great career and such a desired man as Michael for your boyfriend.

http://www.lavozdealmeria.es/vernoticia.php?IdNoticia=95626&IdSeccion=5

Michael walking in Almeria

Traslation:
While Patrick Wayne discovered at noon plate that bears his name on the Walk of Stars of the capital , opposite the Teatro Cervantes , one of the greatest actors in cinema today , Irish Michael Fassbender, walked calmly down the street from the stores outside the flashes and bustle of the press.

Fassbender is about to start filming in Almeria 'Assassin 's Creed ' to the big screen adaptation of the popular video game series . As anticipated VOICE exclusively on 5 November, the film will be shot in various locations throughout the province, as the place of El Chorrillo Pechina Taverns and scenarios of Natural Park Cabo de Gata -Nijar , during this first half from December.

'Magneto' from 'X-Men: First Class' was not the only cast member who was last seen around Almeria. Greek actress Ariane Labed and Spanish actor Armenian Hovik Keuchkerian, which will be the antagonist Fassbender, are also already in the capital. 'Assassin's Creed' tells the story of Callum Lynch (Fassbender), who through a revolutionary technology gets into the skin of an ancestor, Aguilar, member of the Secret Order of Murderers and possessing great skills that used to fight Templar society.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Strange that the fan account did not give a source for the picture.

Poor Alicia must be feeling totally and completely violated now that pictures of her private life that she always intends to keep so private are leaking out in the open. :sad:
Hahaha girl u know she leaked the pics so idk why some saying its Michael's friends or family. Michael is too private and his friends and family would respect him enough not to release any photo of him. Which means only 1 other person could have released it. After all mansroller's name was mentioned lol. And if an account is set to private and tagged someone, best believe that person can and will see the pics. As for anyone having interest in them, Michael is way more famous than her and he don't need to stoop to that level but what better way to get publicity for yourself is leaking pics of you and your "rumored bf

Hahaha girl u know she leaked the pics so idk why some saying its Michael's friends or family. Michael is too private and his friends and family would respect him enough not to release any photo of him. Which means only 1 other person could have released it. After all mansroller's name was mentioned lol. And if an account is set to private and tagged someone, best believe that person can and will see the pics. As for anyone having interest in them, Michael is way more famous than her and he don't need to stoop to that level but what better way to get publicity for yourself is leaking pics of you and your "rumored bf

Loool, you're quite wrong if you believe Alicia leaked this or any other photo. The friend concerned was seen with Michael in SF earlier this year. Yes, Mans is Alicia's friend but wasn't in the photo, it didn't come from his Instagram. Anyhow, many of Michael and Alicia's friends are now friends of them both, they are a couple after all.

Michael's friends are her friends too? Funny but I haven't seen Michael and any of his friends hanging out in a long time, always with her friends. And please, anyone with good sense knows who's side release any pics, past and present. Never Michael or anyone on his side so it leave 1 other option

Michael's friends are her friends too? Funny but I haven't seen Michael and any of his friends hanging out in a long time, always with her friends. And please, anyone with good sense knows who's side release any pics, past and present. Never Michael or anyone on his side so it leave 1 other option

But of course they share their friends now like most couples! And why should you have seen Michael hanging out with his friends? Or Alicia? But don't think he hasn't been just because you didn't witness it. You're making assumptions about the source of the photo, I guess because you want to believe Alicia is the source, but she isn't. I already explained how this pic got out in an earlier post.

But of course they share their friends now like most couples! And why should you have seen Michael hanging out with his friends? Or Alicia? But don't think he hasn't been just because you didn't witness it. You're making assumptions about the source of the photo, I guess because you want to believe Alicia is the source, but she isn't. I already explained how this pic got out in an earlier post.

You stated your opinion of what the source is and how the pic got out. Since it is not explicitly stated, there is no way to tell who leaked it. So it's an opinion, not a definite conclusion.